C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Advanced Announcements Driver

alanchow

i know how to extract it, just don't know what to copy from to get the temp from the tstat

Thermostats have local and remote temp variables. You most likely need the local temp variable though if you have an external temperature sensor you will need to grab the external temp variables.

Thermostats have local and remote temp variables. You most likely need the local temp variable though if you have an external temperature sensor you will need to grab the external temp variables.

right, im asking where to find it?

right, im asking where to find it?

In composer he you will need to expand the thermostat by clicking on the plus sign next to it on the actions side. This will bring up all variables for the thermostat driver.

In composer he you will need to expand the thermostat by clicking on the plus sign next to it on the actions side. This will bring up all variables for the thermostat driver.

V1 temperature or Temperature are all i see related to temp

does it matter what is selected below in actions

No as long as it contains that variable it doesn't matter. It's probably best for you to play around with it to get an understanding. Worst case you will need to delete the action for your announcement and create a new one. Easily testable given it'll tell you vocally.

• 3 months later...

The 15 second announcement only effects control4 hardware not sonos. Having said that though my house reads out 'good morning alan. Today's date is <day>, <ddmmyyyy>. The forecast for today is <forecast> with a minimum of <min> and maximum of <max>. The current temperature inside your home is <temp>.'. This is read out every weekday morning and has done so since I installed the driver when I wrote it without any issues. Fits in nicely and does not cut off via control4's audio output playing voicerss's English female voice.

Think out of the box getting around the 15 second time limit is easy, all you have to do is create segments that translate within the alotted time limit and put a delay between them, it takes a little playing around to get the delay times right but it works like a charm.

Good morning, today is DAY{} DATE{} at TIME{}, todays forcast is PARAM{328,1014} with a low of PARAM{328,1016} degrees and high of PARAM{328,1017} degrees

Delay 25 Seconds

The current temperature is PARAM{328,1003} degrees, with a wind speed of PARAM{328,1006} miles per hour, chance of rain is PARAM{328,1019} percent.

Think out of the box getting around the 15 second time limit is easy, all you have to do is create segments that translate within the alotted time limit and put a delay between them, it takes a little playing around to get the delay times right but it works like a charm.

Good morning, today is DAY{} DATE{} at TIME{}, todays forcast is PARAM{328,1014} with a low of PARAM{328,1016} degrees and high of PARAM{328,1017} degrees

Delay 25 Seconds

The current temperature is PARAM{328,1003} degrees, with a wind speed of PARAM{328,1006} miles per hour, chance of rain is PARAM{328,1019} percent.

Excellent.  Glad its working the way you like it.  Just remember this is only a limitation of executing the announcement out of Control4's controllers/speakerpoints.  If you are using Sonos or Kodi Full to output the announcement then there are no limitations.

• 2 years later...

@alanchow Not sure if this was asked before, but would it be possible to make this driver cache requests, and store wav files with a filename that matches the words that will be spoken. If wav exists play from local location only. If it does not, retrieve it from the net then store this newly added wav?  Feel that would get us faster announcements and allow for it to work even offline.  Just a thought, appreciate all your drivers. Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, walterlara said:

@alanchow Not sure if this was asked before, but would it be possible to make this driver cache requests, and store wav files with a filename that matches the words that will be spoken. If wav exists play from local location only. If it does not, retrieve it from the net then store this newly added wav?  Feel that would get us faster announcements and allow for it to work even offline.  Just a thought, appreciate all your drivers. Thanks. 

That isn't really the delay.  The delay is in actually playing the announcement through Control4's announcement agent.  Generation and downloading of the files is usually less than a second.

If you require speedy playback of announcements my recommendation is to utilise our driver with Sonos or with an always on Kodi system.

• 6 months later...

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am planning a new C4 project and want to have several buttons near where a 10” T3 touchscreen will be. Can this driver be used to create custom buttons which show as the home page for the T3 when the screen is touched? If so, I wouldn’t need the physical button panel and could just use the touchscreen. My wife would hate going through menus though so if it cannot be the home screen, it doesn’t work for me.

Thanks

3 hours ago, bdo21 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am planning a new C4 project and want to have several buttons near where a 10” T3 touchscreen will be. Can this driver be used to create custom buttons which show as the home page for the T3 when the screen is touched? If so, I wouldn’t need the physical button panel and could just use the touchscreen. My wife would hate going through menus though so if it cannot be the home screen, it doesn’t work for me.

Thanks

Sounds like you're talking about our Advanced Custom Buttons driver (not the Advanced Announcements which you posted in).

This driver will not replace the home screen but can be accessible from it.  If you only have a single guest service then it will pop up in the circle of power as an individual item.  If however you have more than one guest service then it will appear under the service icon in the circle of power.  So it will either be two presses to activation a button or three.

4 hours ago, alanchow said:

Sounds like you're talking about our Advanced Custom Buttons driver (not the Advanced Announcements which you posted in).

This driver will not replace the home screen but can be accessible from it.  If you only have a single guest service then it will pop up in the circle of power as an individual item.  If however you have more than one guest service then it will appear under the service icon in the circle of power.  So it will either be two presses to activation a button or three.

I just learned something new about Guest Services! Thanks Alan 

6 hours ago, alanchow said:

Yes - sorry - when I moved from Tapatalk (which won’t let me post at the moment) to the website, I accidentally picked the wrong forum. Thank you - this is helpful. Two button presses to get to a menu is probably okay for some of the buttons so I don’t need a big hard panel. Thank you

• 8 months later...

Sometime in the last week or so the Advanced Announcements driver has stopped working and logging the following error:

data = ERROR: The API key is not available!

The properties page shows License Activated and both Speech and voice RSS API keys are filled in.

Can anyone help?

On 3/17/2019 at 7:59 AM, jfh said:

Sometime in the last week or so the Advanced Announcements driver has stopped working and logging the following error:

data = ERROR: The API key is not available!

The properties page shows License Activated and both Speech and voice RSS API keys are filled in.

Can anyone help?

This fault indicates that the API key is missing from the driver's properties page or the API key entered in is not valid.

3 hours ago, alanchow said:

This fault indicates that the API key is missing from the driver's properties page or the API key entered in is not valid.

The keys in the properties page haven’t changed in years.  How do I tell which one is the problem and how do I get new ones if needed?

15 hours ago, jfh said:

The keys in the properties page haven’t changed in years.  How do I tell which one is the problem and how do I get new ones if needed?

You will need to test your announcements to figure out which service is the one with the problematic key.  Once you figure that out you can goto that services website to login to your account to figure out the problem.  Otherwise you may need to sign up for a new key.

15 hours ago, jfh said:

I had an issue with this in the last week or two and it ended up being the VoiceRSS API key expired/no longer was working. I just went to their site, re-signed up and put in the new key they gave me in the driver properties and my announcements were back. Given the timing, you may have had the same issue. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.