C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

1 minute ago, C4Canuck said:

Thanks Jackstone,

We'll get a single ES Engine (that's a bonus) and have our Dealer install your drivers. Looking forward to user friendly control.

Kerry

Don't forget to have you dealer check the ColorWheel video on YouTube to set it up using the new Navigation Agent on Control4 2.10

3 hours ago, Kobepanda said:

Hi Jackstone,

Where can I download the 1.5.x baudrate Changer?

What are the commands for using Putty to change the baudrate?

There is no baudrate changer for 1.5 since there is no reason to go back to this version, 2.1 does all what 1.5 does, and much more.

as for the putty command, its b115200 or b9600 depending of the baudrate you want. But to be able to connect, you need to know the current baudrate.

Hi Jackstone,

In your previous post, you suggested to try with the version 1.5  Baudrate Changer, because for some reason the 2.0 version is not being able to detect the DMX engine after binding the Baudrate Driver to a serial port on Controller in C4 Composer.  However, I couldn't find the download link for the 1.5 version.

Can you provide some detail instructions to solve this driver/baudrate problem? 

10 hours ago, Kobepanda said:

Hi Jackstone,

In your previous post, you suggested to try with the version 1.5  Baudrate Changer, because for some reason the 2.0 version is not being able to detect the DMX engine after binding the Baudrate Driver to a serial port on Controller in C4 Composer.  However, I couldn't find the download link for the 1.5 version.

Can you provide some detail instructions to solve this driver/baudrate problem? 

I have suggested to use the DMX Engine driver version 1.5 because it work at 9600bps, so if it work, you will know your Engine baudrate and we 'll troubleshoot from there to make 2.1 work. 

54 minutes ago, Kobepanda said:

Hi Jackstone,

Do you have a download link for the version 1.5?

It's the same as 2.1: http://www.domaudeo.com/Control4/Drivers/DMX/DMX_for_Control4_v2.1.zip

You can find the old driver v1.5.9 in the Legacy folder.

This link will work until the a newer version is released.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jackstone,

I have a lighting scene for all lights off.

When a number of the DMX drivers at in this scene, they all do not respond (although C4 indicates that they have)

If the button press drives the scene and I remove the DMX lighting then have them fired with delays in between them, then they work fine.

Is this typical, and if so is there a better solution than having multiple delays built in?

Thank you,

7 hours ago, bk said:

Hi Jackstone,

I have a lighting scene for all lights off.

When a number of the DMX drivers at in this scene, they all do not respond (although C4 indicates that they have)

If the button press drives the scene and I remove the DMX lighting then have them fired with delays in between them, then they work fine.

Is this typical, and if so is there a better solution than having multiple delays built in?

Thank you,

What version of the driver are you using? Make sure it's the latest (2.11), there is some minor stuff fixed in 2.11 that helps on large light scenes.

You can also try the Rebuild Scene Database action in the DMX Engine driver

Also, what kind of DMX lights are in the scene? There is some best practice to apply when using DMX lights in scene since we provide light driver that can already control a group of light (light the Group Dimmer or the RGB Group Dimmer), those should not be part of a scene. You only add single DMX Dimmer or RGB dimmer to the scene and I would suggest putting them in an hidden room if you're already using group dimmer or color changer in the room, just to avoid loading up the room and confuse the customer. Not sure if you understand the concept here... Let me know if this is unclear.

I think I will need to do a tutorial on the suggest, because that's something important to know for smooth running DMX project, particularly large one.

If you want me to check if the scene you have follow the best practices, let me know, we can either do a TeamViewer session or you can send me a backup of the project.

Thank you, great prompt response as usual.

I have updated from 202 to 210 and 210. Then did a rebuild.

I will see how that goes. The backup is 59mb so I would need to file share it to you I guess.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hey Jack stone, I was reading through the 20 pages and can't find anything specific to this so figured I would ask. 

I am looking into a company here that does LED permeant xmas lights. Right now they are using a Bluetooth controller, and the protocol is SPI not DMX.

I do know that you can find DMX in to SPI out controllers though. Each bulb is individually controlled in this system which is pretty cool. 

I am wondering if you know much about SPI, and if a DMX to SPI controller may work?

I can't find anyone using DMX specifically. These guys seem to be the only ones. 

Thanks in advance. 

14 hours ago, badjesus said:

Hey Jack stone, I was reading through the 20 pages and can't find anything specific to this so figured I would ask. 

I am looking into a company here that does LED permeant xmas lights. Right now they are using a Bluetooth controller, and the protocol is SPI not DMX.

I do know that you can find DMX in to SPI out controllers though. Each bulb is individually controlled in this system which is pretty cool. 

I am wondering if you know much about SPI, and if a DMX to SPI controller may work?

I can't find anyone using DMX specifically. These guys seem to be the only ones. 

Thanks in advance. 

We had a discussion about SPI and Pixel LED on the forum if I remember... Long story short, Pixel LED or SPI will work with DMX and with our driver but remember each "RGB Pixel" use 3 DMX channels, so if you're using a strip with 150 pixel, that mean 150x3 channel used, that is already a huge load for a Control4 controller, each DMX Channel is a "Light" for C4... So yes, it will work, but don't try to control a large number of pixel LED (some use more than one DMX Universe), C4 is just not deisgned for that. I would stick with 200 channel or less.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, RobbieF said:

No the only compatible interface is the RS-232 DMX Engine from Engineering Solutions. Available at Houselogix or response-box.com websites.

Hi [mention=131921]jackstone[/mention]
Would this DMX controller work with your driver?
https://www.enttec.com/uk/products/controls/dmx-over-ethernet/din-open-dmx-ethernet-poe/

This works with the free C4 / formerly EV driver.

The health warning that comes with is the faders etc are all driven from the HC / EA directory processor so are a little more choppy and less silky smooth.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - I’ve read the whole thread too.  I’m looking for some real world examples of what people on here have done with DMX - Kitchen Moodlighting / RGB Spots / Garden Lighting / Cinema Lighting / Coving Lightning.... Just after an excuse to make me a project of it :)

56 minutes ago, RobbieF said:

Yeah - saw those.  but the sound to light stuff - although SUPER Cool - is not that practical for me- I'm not the disco type :) Looking for some more real world examples.

DMX is not only RGB lights, it can be every single light in a house. We have done many whole house all with low voltage lighting driven by DMX, the house lighting does look pretty standard but in fact there is many thing we were able to achieve with low-voltage that would not be possible with 120v, like miniature downlight, cabinet light panel, custom chandelier, indirect linear light and more... Look at any designer catalog and every single room you'll see can be lit with low voltage and achieve a unique, yet cost effective lighting that can be controlled easily using DMX and some C4 keypads.

DMX is not only RGB lights, it can be every single light in a house. We have done many whole house all with low voltage lighting driven by DMX, the house lighting does look pretty standard but in fact there is many thing we were able to achieve with low-voltage that would not be possible with 120v, like miniature downlight, cabinet light panel, custom chandelier, indirect linear light and more... Look at any designer catalog and every single room you'll see can be lit with low voltage and achieve a unique, yet cost effective lighting that can be controlled easily using DMX and some C4 keypads.
This, but pay attention to the current you are sending down those 12v cables.

I started this route but gave up as NYC electrical code would have likely had a confused coniption fit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.