C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

1 minute ago, SMHarman said:

You don't need a five channel controller. Five four channel controllers works just as well.

In the programming you map the tape channels to driver channels to the control4 setup

Not sure I understand that. An RGB+CCT strip has RGB plus a warm white and a cool white channel. That's 5 channels needed to control the strip.

Not sure I understand that. An RGB+CCT strip has RGB plus a warm white and a cool white channel. That's 5 channels needed to control the strip.
I just clarified my post. You don't need one specific controller per tape. The different channels on a tape could be on different drivers. So if you had 5 four channel drivers (drivers a-e) and four rgbwww tapes you could connect rgbw to driver a and ww to driver b channel 1. Tape 2 could have rgb on b2-4 and www on c1-2 and so on.

Then you define the addressing on driver a as say 1-4 b as 5-8 c as 9-12 and now tape 1 is channels 1-5 tape 2 is 6-10 etc.

Hope that helps clarify.

29 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

I just clarified my post. You don't need one specific controller per tape. The different channels on a tape could be on different drivers. So if you had 5 four channel drivers (drivers a-e) and four rgbwww tapes you could connect rgbw to driver a and ww to driver b channel 1. Tape 2 could have rgb on b2-4 and www on c1-2 and so on.

Then you define the addressing on driver a as say 1-4 b as 5-8 c as 9-12 and now tape 1 is channels 1-5 tape 2 is 6-10 etc.

Hope that helps clarify.

Gotcha. You can mix and match channels as long as you have the available channels.  Since I am really targeting a single location (kitchen cabinet lighting) I just need enough channels for a continuous strip. 5 channels. I'd rather not have a large box to get enough channels, but if a 5 channel decode is twice the price of a decoder with more than I need it could be an easy choice.

Thanks for clarifying.

For reference I was looking at this product for 5ch.

http://www.sunricher.com/industrial-level-5-channel-dmx512-rdm-decoder-sr-2108a-m5-5.html

26 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Gotcha. You can mix and match channels as long as you have the available channels.  Since I am really targeting a single location (kitchen cabinet lighting) I just need enough channels for a continuous strip. 5 channels. I'd rather not have a large box to get enough channels, but if a 5 channel decode is twice the price of a decoder with more than I need it could be an easy choice.

Thanks for clarifying.

For reference I was looking at this product for 5ch.

http://www.sunricher.com/industrial-level-5-channel-dmx512-rdm-decoder-sr-2108a-m5-5.html

Grab a generic 12-ch decoder like the one at Houselogix, use it to drive two rgbwcct strip or use only 5 channel on it if you don't need more... it's the best cost per channel and it ia very easy to work with.

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, hevnbnd said:

Looking to use an E1 with the Response box. Have any diagrams that show the RS232 to 3.5mm cable and one that shows the XLR5 dMX to ethernet?

3.5mm to DB9 go straight into the RS232 port on the DMX Engine with no modification, and XLR5 as the output go into your DMX decoder, usually using convertion to RJ45 using special cable. 

Then out of the DMX decoder goes your LEDs.

13 hours ago, jackstone said:

3.5mm to DB9 go straight into the RS232 port on the DMX Engine with no modification, and XLR5 as the output go into your DMX decoder, usually using convertion to RJ45 using special cable. 

Then out of the DMX decoder goes your LEDs.

Yea I am aware I was looking for a diagram that showed what pins go to what. Also I saw the images with all the decoder's in one location. If you install the setup that way do you just use like 22/4 wire to run from decoder out to the LEDs?

1 hour ago, livitup said:

@jackstone... links? :)

The modem he's talking about is this one:

http://www.houselogix.com/shop/outdoor-24w-rgbw-ceiling-downlight-dmx-compatible

It comes with a spike for easy installation on the ground. Wiring is a bit tricky cause it need a 24v power line out of the 5 rgbww control wire, so a minimum of 6 wire is needed to be ran.

Just now, RobbieF said:

Question for the DMX Guru's out there.  If I was to centralise all the "gubbins" in a cabinet, what cable, and how long can the run be (Max), to my LED's?

You can easily run up to 150-200' on 16GA 24v. Don't do it on 12v. Also a low voltage system is very versatile and can use some locally powered lights by keeping central control if the cable run is way too long. In that case, the cable run will be for dmx signal and not dc voltage for led.

40 minutes ago, hevnbnd said:

Yea I am aware I was looking for a diagram that showed what pins go to what. Also I saw the images with all the decoder's in one location. If you install the setup that way do you just use like 22/4 wire to run from decoder out to the LEDs?

Yes but 22ga is a bit small..

It will work for a short run and light load. Try using 18ga for 50' run and 16ga for 100'+ 

Be aware of not overloading you power supply, decoder or cable line.

6 hours ago, jackstone said:

The modem he's talking about is this one:

http://www.houselogix.com/shop/outdoor-24w-rgbw-ceiling-downlight-dmx-compatible

It comes with a spike for easy installation on the ground. Wiring is a bit tricky cause it need a 24v power line out of the 5 rgbww control wire, so a minimum of 6 wire is needed to be ran.

Never mind the wiring... each light needs 1 amp at 24V DC, if my 20-year-old EE degree is any good.  So where are people finding multi-amp plug-in 120VAC to 24VDC converters?  Or am I way overthinking this?  My pidgin Goolging showed nothing turnkey - and I'm not feeling creating my own transformer package...

18 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Uhh, take a look at Meanwell power supplies.  12V or 24V versions are available.  Each PS has roughly 3 terminals that you can use to distribute power to other drivers.

You rock.

Muhahahahahaha, an evil plan is forming...

I have driver 2.11 installed with an EA1. Under Status I get Incompatible Firmware v4.085, 3/12/2014. Do I have to purchase the updated firmware?

2nd question. Will the new Ethernet DMX Engine work with Control4?

You will need to update the Response Box.  The files required are packaged up with the latest driver package.  Do you have a red or black engine??

If red, no problems moving forward.

If black, tread lightly.  I tried updating mine and it wouldn't take.  i had to send my engine back to John/support to get fixed.  Lights were out of commission for about a week or so.

You could also try using the older driver package for the version that your engine is on now though.  Granted, you won't get all the latest perks to the driver.

14 hours ago, livitup said:

Never mind the wiring... each light needs 1 amp at 24V DC, if my 20-year-old EE degree is any good.  So where are people finding multi-amp plug-in 120VAC to 24VDC converters?  Or am I way overthinking this?  My pidgin Goolging showed nothing turnkey - and I'm not feeling creating my own transformer package...

Best place to get Meanwell power supplies:

In the US:  TRC Electronics     this is a link to my personal favorite: https://trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/HLG-320H-24A.shtml

In Canada: Mouser Canada     https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/HLG-320H-24?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt5PRBMPTWcaRTgZe1UVjfl305gouibReA%3d

Meanwell HLG are the best to use because they does not require external mounting box to meet electrical code. If you're not an electrician you can put a NEMA-15 plug on the input wire and just connect them to a regular power strip, by not connecting them "permanently" your job will be 100% legit.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:44 PM, hevnbnd said:

Will the new Ethernet DMX Engine work with Control4?  Any plans / time table for the driver?

For sure! I'm waiting for my prerelease Engine to test a new driver that will include IP communication. 

Expect a slight delay between the release date of the Engine and the new driver release because I want to add some optimization for IP engine that should prevent any slowdown when controlling a huge dmx scene through control4.

Ok So I have everything hooked up on my bench. I don't have control of my LEDs though. I show firmware version 5.071 in Composer. My DMX to RJ45 cable looks correct. Pin 1 goes to Brown/ Brown White on my cat 5 cable. Pin2 goes to Orange on my cat5. Pin3 goes to Orange White on my Cat 5. My cat5 is wired with standard B method. ORW/O/GW/B/BW/G/BW/B

My LEDs are always RED.... They have only Pin1 on their jumper and the DMX RGB Dimmer Driver is set to 1,2,3. Where do I go from here? Anyone to call?