C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

Hi Jackstone,

I have a customer with LED strips and he has Mi-Light wifi units and the Mi-Light Wifi bridge

I found the driver on House Logix but it looks like this is not longer available as you cant add it to the basket.

Could you advise where I can get this driver from please?

Mak

1 hour ago, makidoja said:

Hi Jackstone,

I have a customer with LED strips and he has Mi-Light wifi units and the Mi-Light Wifi bridge

I found the driver on House Logix but it looks like this is not longer available as you cant add it to the basket.

Mak

drivercentral.io

1 hour ago, makidoja said:

Hi Jackstone,

Mak

I haven't migrated the Mi-Light driver to another marketplace because it is outdated, work only with the gen2 Wi-Fi hub (I think they are now at 4 or 5 gen..) and the overall product did not impress me at all so the driver was also unpopular.

OK, so lets look at this another way

My customer has LED RGBWW tape installed in various locations that he doesn;t want to change, however the driver / control could be changed

What cost effective way would you suggest please?

MAK

5 hours ago, makidoja said:

HI Amr

I don't see anything here that specifies the Mi-Light ??

MAK

I know the wifi hub version was was not specified in the driver but I wrote the driver at the time the hub v2 was current, and I nver knew they would realease a v3, v4, soo after and will break their api that worked with v2. Not worth updating the driver considering the poor result a Milight integration provide.

5 hours ago, makidoja said:

OK, so lets look at this another way

My customer has LED RGBWW tape installed in various locations that he doesn;t want to change, however the driver / control could be changed

What cost effective way would you suggest please?

MAK

If you go the DMX way, you can use wireless dmx decoder to each strip location and not have to change the rest of your customer's system. A wireless dmx decoder require only power to word and can control an unilimed number of channel by daisy chaining wired decoder at the light location.

also, Chowmain has written a generic RGB light driver that work using cheap china RGB controller with an IR remote. He also has a driver for Yeelite, that is very near of what Milight is.

• 2 weeks later...

We are considering using a Color Tunable DMX enabled light by WAC lighting.

http://www.waclighting.com/product/aether-3-5-23

It has 4 channels but are labelled as Dimming / CCT/ Saturation / Hue.. Not the standard RGBTW

They are based on Lumenetix  Araya Tunable Color built in DMX Controller

http://lumenetix.com/i/Lumenetix_DMX512-A-Protocol-and-Wiring-Specifications.pdf

Will DomAudeo Driver (any of them) work with these? If not , any suggestions are greatly appreciated

It will work using our DMX driver, but you will need to use four standard single channel dmx driver for each of the level to control is your fixture. Don't use the Tunable White Driver, it is not designed for this kind of fixture.

then you can so some simple programming is Composer to get the warm dim or any automatic color change, not that hard to acheive.

• 2 weeks later...

Shelly has came up with a killer WiFi RGB hardware that works with MQTT, all drivers are free and it’s really fantastic very small hardware. $22 a piece and it’s on the way for me to test, I plan to completely go this way and abandon any other WiFi solutions e.g. Sonoff, etc.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:25 AM, makidoja said:

HI Amr

I don't see anything here that specifies the Mi-Light ??

MAK

Mak sorry didn’t really get this correctly, I was referring to Xiaomi MiLight not Mi-Light, it’s a totally different hardware, I know for a fact that the Mi-Light bridge can be Modded as it’s not a very stable WiFi connection.

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Shelly has came up with a killer WiFi RGB hardware that works with MQTT, all drivers are free and it’s really fantastic hardware. $22 a piece and it’s on the way for me to test, I plan to completely go this way and abandon any other WiFi solutions e.g. Sonoff, Dlink, etc

https://shelly.cloud/product/smart-wifi-shelly-rgbw-switch-dimmer/

Wi-Fi/Cloud solution and Stable cannot be in the same sentence... i would be glad to hear you're satisfied with this solution but I doubt the long term reliability, the same as all cloud-based/app controlled/customer grade RGB LED controller. For the cheapest Integrated RGB control that is reliable (without going DMX), I would prefer to go with the ultra-simple yet complete IR driver from Chowmain that work with any cheap IR-controller RGB lights, it is so simple it can't fail. Just forget bout all those Wi-Fi/Cloud/App crap or leave the customer deal with it (cause they usually work well using only their app), else you will hear the phone ringing a lot....

Will on WiFi turf, am very happy with Xiaomi WiFi lamps/leds, very few to nil hiccups in the past 2.5 years, Shelly/Sonoff allows u to use a local solution not cloud based at all, also u can reflash them with Tasmota or whatever and u never need cloud for anything. WiFi will evolve for sure as for reliability, C4 Zigbee is the ultimate but take a look at the x10 or x20 cost ...

@Amr

@jackstone

I'm using Shelly switches across my home, all you need is an MQTT broker running on a Pi Raspberry. For the driver, I'm using David Berto MQTT driver. I'm not using the cloud. You also don't need to replace the Shelly firmware.

It's almost a year with nil hiccups and the cost of the Shelly switches (total of 30) with the Pi Raspberry is less than 20% of Control4 switches. What I liked more about Shelly switches, it's hidden and you don't need to remove your original switches (see the diagram below).

With Berto driver, you can program your lightning and scenes. 

hookup.thumb.jpg.547fb9b151a67ce392cd4fc8e32563d5.jpg

Great setup, glad it work well for you, it's an alternative for personal home or lab. I would never sell a DIY solution to a customer though, sometime you pay more to buy the "Peace of mind" (and support from a reputable company). All this worth something for me.

6 hours ago, Zuhair said:

@Amr

@jackstone

I'm using Shelly switches across my home, all you need is an MQTT broker running on a Pi Raspberry. For the driver, I'm using David Berto MQTT driver. I'm not using the cloud. You also don't need to replace the Shelly firmware.

It's almost a year with nil hiccups and the cost of the Shelly switches (total of 30) with the Pi Raspberry is less than 20% of Control4 switches. What I liked more about Shelly switches, it's hidden and you don't need to remove your original switches (see the diagram below).

I’m making the same setup right now ditching all other WiFi solutions including Sonoff, TP-Link, Dlink, and Xiaomi, the only difference I have my Broker on my Synology NAS no PI.

These Shelly’s are incredibly small, can be fitted in any tight box, just amazing I admit.

20 hours ago, Zuhair said:

@Amr

@jackstone

Zuhair, while waiting for the hardware to arrive tomm, one last question, I understand you can use On/Off switch or a Toggle Switch and you select that from the app.  Am fine with toggle like C4 Pucks and Sonof, but how do you operate the On/Off? I mean does it work both ways? If I turn switch to ON position;💡 is on and after turn OFF from App what will happen if I turn the switch to OFF position? Will the💡 turn ON again?

Well never mind, I just watched a German uTube and it works! It’s even better than Sonoff as I don’t even need to change my switches to toggle, so TCO is much better even ...

OS 3.0 NOTE:

As some of you know, the current Advanced DMX driver is broken by Control4 OS 3.0. There is a fix available right now at the Black Wire marketplace, it's a free upgrade of all the individual DMX drivers in the suite. We recommend doing it prior of upgrading to OS 3.0, this can also be done after the upgrade.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:16 PM, Amr said:

Shelly has came up with a killer WiFi RGB hardware that works with MQTT, all drivers are free and it’s really fantastic very small hardware. $22 a piece and it’s on the way for me to test, I plan to completely go this way and abandon any other WiFi solutions e.g. Sonoff, Dlink, etc

https://shelly.cloud/product/smart-wifi-shelly-rgbw-switch-dimmer/

RGBWv2_top.jpg

I have 10 of these and 30 Shelly 2.5 pucks. I run tasmota instead of the Shelly firmware for control and security. That said I don't think they are better than the DMX solution. They offer some different benefits. I would not compare them head to head.