C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

I think he said the All Channel ON command worked, that mean all the Serial and DMX Chain is mostly working.

This usually bring us to the DMX Decoder that might not be a the right channel.

One trick I do when I work with weird decoder with unclear digital display and (or course) no manual: I use the Group Dimmer, and I enter 1 as the first channel, 100 fixtures, and then I try to turn it on, if it work, I know the decoder is at a channel between 1 and 100, if not, I try using 101 to 200 and so on until it work. (you will have to do this only a maximum of 5 times to test it all).

Then it's easier to narrow down what channel is used by the decoder.

I've just release a quick update of the DMX Driver to mainly bring it up to speed with Control4's OS3.2.

New features:

- Full OS 3.2 compatibility
- Single ColorPicker driver for iOS/Android/T3/T4, no more messing around with multiple drivers
- Partial support for HSL/HSV and CCT fixtures (using the RGB Dimmer and the Tunable White drivers)
- OS3.2 fixes for dimmer ramping

More support for HSL/HSV and CCT is coming as well as a brand new ColorPicker color wheel with new features, but I had to release this quick update because of the rapid spread of OS 3.2.

Get the new driver on the BlackWire webstore, and stay tuned for the next release with all the new planned features.

15 minutes ago, RobbieF said:

Is a colour wheel included?  This made me ask the question:

Single ColorPicker driver for iOS/Android/T3/T4, no more messing around with multiple drivers

Yes, it's the same Colorwheel as before but integrated in a single driver that work on all touch devices(with OS 3.2). iOS/Android and C4's T3/T4 will all work with the same driver.

A new color wheel with RGBW will be coming in a near future.

Other thing to be aware, if you need an RS-232 DMX Engine you can still purchase it through Engineering Solutions webstore or Amazon. Blackwire will not stock RS-232 Engines anymore. Price remain the same.

Here's the Amazon links:

https://www.amazon.com/RS-232-Double-DMX-Engine-Output/dp/B078YFV7ND/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=rs232+dmx&qid=1603755514&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ca/RS-232-Double-DMX-Engine-Output/dp/B078YFV7ND/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=rs232+dmx&qid=1603755545&sr=8-1

1 hour ago, jackstone said:

Other thing to be aware, if you need an RS-232 DMX Engine you can still purchase it through Engineering Solutions webstore or Amazon. Blackwire will not stock RS-232 Engines anymore. Price remain the same.

Here's the Amazon links:

https://www.amazon.com/RS-232-Double-DMX-Engine-Output/dp/B078YFV7ND/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=rs232+dmx&qid=1603755514&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ca/RS-232-Double-DMX-Engine-Output/dp/B078YFV7ND/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=rs232+dmx&qid=1603755545&sr=8-1

Thanks - Ordered one, should be in the U.K. on Monday apparently! Love Amazon :)

3 hours ago, RobbieF said:

Quick question - Does the Driver support LED strip lights which are Dual White - Something Like This:   https://www.instyleled.co.uk/12-watt-cct-led-tape-colour-temperature-changing/.  I'm assuming it will functionally, but from a UI / UX Colorwheel perspective?

That is just a dual white LED strip with one LED for cool and one for Warm, very easy to manage with the actual DMX driver and a multi-channel DMX decoder, the Tunable White driver is what you need and it is readily available.

There will be some added features in the next version to manage dual-white and CCT from a Color Wheel UI and more ways.

8 hours ago, jackstone said:

That is just a dual white LED strip with one LED for cool and one for Warm, very easy to manage with the actual DMX driver and a multi-channel DMX decoder, the Tunable White driver is what you need and it is readily available.

There will be some added features in the next version to manage dual-white and CCT from a Color Wheel UI and more ways.

Amazing! Thank you

• 1 month later...

We have just release a new version of the driver, with some nice and often requested features:

- New ColorPicker interface that support RGBW / RGB+CCT / White Temperature, all into one interface supported on T3/T4 and Mobile devices.

- The ColorPicker wheel is now hosted by an highly reliable repository, no more black screen and spinning wheel. It will work.

- The Tunable White dimmer now support CCT as well as Circadian Lighting. The Cicardian lighting option is entirely automated, no need to mess with C4 schedule.

- Lot of bug fixes.

Here's the new ColorPicker:

rgbcct_wheel_640.jpg

Circadian Lighting Option:

CircadianLightingOption.thumb.jpg.bded0749c24a834cfba2bd9eb89e4e66.jpg

3 hours ago, jackstone said:

We have just release a new version of the driver, with some nice and often requested features:

- New ColorPicker interface that support RGBW / RGB+CCT / White Temperature, all into one interface supported on T3/T4 and Mobile devices.

- The ColorPicker wheel is now hosted by an highly reliable repository, no more black screen and spinning wheel. It will work.

- The Tunable White dimmer now support CCT as well as Circadian Lighting. The Cicardian lighting option is entirely automated, no need to mess with C4 schedule.

- Lot of bug fixes.

Here's the new ColorPicker:

rgbcct_wheel_640.jpg

Circadian Lighting Option:

CircadianLightingOption.thumb.jpg.bded0749c24a834cfba2bd9eb89e4e66.jpg

Wow - this looks epic! After eventually taking the plunge into using DMX last month, I was surprised at how easy it all is really - I wish I had done it years ago.  I’d say to anyone considering trying it, just do it, you can add a lot of value to your clients projects by having DMX in your arsenal!  

This driver is definitely taking DMX to a meeting level in Control4!

• 1 month later...

Blackwire Designs now seems to be a one-stop shop for LED tape lighting solutions and the drivers and integrations to Control4:

https://restechtoday.com/blackwire-american-lighting/

I would think this was posted somewhere on the forum, but if it has been, I missed it.

I've researched American Lighting for a long time and had singled them out as a top tier source for the LED tape, extrusions, and drivers / DMX controllers.  I have a variety of American Lighting products in my new construction home already.

Now that Blackwire is bringing this to the fore with their expertise on integration with Control4, it seems like a no-brainer.  If anyone from Blackwire is on here, please contact me as I have several applications where I need LED tape lighting and need some help with selection of the products required.  This is one of the final pieces that I never got around to on our smart home that I would like to finish...

• 4 months later...

@jackstone

Does a generic DMX driver exist that I can program for more advanced lights? Is there a data table I could fill out to patch and program features? For example, I have a couple moving head lights from my touring days sitting around. This fixture is 24 channels, with features (pan/tilt, dimmer, effects wheel, color wheels, etc) between ranges of DMX values. I also have some new pixel addressable LED strips that I'd like to bring in. It has a standalone controller with a show already programmed on it's microSD. To trigger the show, I need to send DMX to a certain channel and select the show by sending a certain value, programmed in it's software. I can hit it from my small light controller, but I'd be really cool if I could trigger the show directly from C4 with the rest of the LEDs. 

TL;DR: Looking for a generic DMX driver not locked to 4 channels; I have light toys with more channels I'd like to play with.

Links for reference:
Moving Head Light (pages A-9 / A-16):
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/6591549/studio-spot-575-user-manual-high-end-systems

SPI LED Controller:
https://ledstripstudio.com/shop/product/spi/

6 hours ago, RebelPro said:

@jackstone

Does a generic DMX driver exist that I can program for more advanced lights? Is there a data table I could fill out to patch and

There is no limitation to 4-ch with the current DMX Driver, you can use any number of single channel driver to control a device that needs any number of channel. Also the Effect Switch driver have some option to control moving head fixture, it's mostly integrated and meant for doing dynamic effect but it's there. As for your request, I think multiple single channel driver is the way to go.

10 hours ago, jackstone said:

There is no limitation to 4-ch with the current DMX Driver, you can use any number of single channel driver to control a device that needs any number of channel. Also the Effect Switch driver have some option to control moving head fixture, it's mostly integrated and meant for doing dynamic effect but it's there. As for your request, I think multiple single channel driver is the way to go.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Any new recommendations for decoders?

This one has been recommended:   https://www.holidaycoro.com/30-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/43.htm

I like that it's 30 channels.  I'm planning on using it for several RGB+WW strips.  Any obvious issues with this one and other things that I should consider?

Also - for the RS232 cable that connects the ES box to a controller (EA5-V2), will a standard DB9 cable work?  Do I need to remove the 4th pin?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Composer pro version 3.4.1

I have purchased ane engineering solutions Rs-232 Driven Quad DMX Engine

1. driver central cloud driver

2.advanced dmx engine driver installed

3. actived and bound advanced DMX driver to CORE 5

4. added cloud driver and rs232 dmx driver to composer pro and added token

5. driver says cloud status "License Activated"

6. connected cable ==>DB9 Male to DC3.5mm Male Serial RS232 Cable 6feet DB9 Male to 3.5mm Serial Cable

to core 5 serial (3) ir 1 port and conncected rs232 to dmx engine.  Power light is solid dmx green lights flashing. SER light not doing anyting.

6. bound core 5 ir1(3) (serial 3_ to dmx engine)

7. Status (getting firmware) --> Time out getting firmware: Check DMX Engine Connection

Here are photos of the setup:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qsOkyvN6OILFgQ5OfIkKUmF8Ki41clxP?usp=sharing

On 10/22/2020 at 8:56 AM, jackstone said:

I think he said the All Channel ON command worked, that mean all the Serial and DMX Chain is mostly working.

This usually bring us to the DMX Decoder that might not be a the right channel.

One trick I do when I work with weird decoder with unclear digital display and (or course) no manual: I use the Group Dimmer, and I enter 1 as the first channel, 100 fixtures, and then I try to turn it on, if it work, I know the decoder is at a channel between 1 and 100, if not, I try using 101 to 200 and so on until it work. (you will have to do this only a maximum of 5 times to test it all).

Then it's easier to narrow down what channel is used by the decoder.

Sometime you have to powercycle le dmx engine to get the firmware to show up at the first time. Also, some time the rs232 port of the core5 does not go to the right baudrate for some reason, you can try the serial port 4 (ir 2) ans reboot both the core5 and the dmx engine. Once it work and start communicating, it never stops.