C4 Forums | Control4

Eliminating speaker hum when audio is not playing

I've I'm playing music through zones in my house I find that when transitioning between songs or at the end of a playlist when there is silence that I can hear significant hum through the speakers in various rooms.  I do have the volume cranked up to about 60%+.  How do I tune the Control4 amps to enable good volume but now or no hum?

Thanks,

Rick

I'll do a more system-wide comparison of all of the room speakers' hum.   I have some very good banana plugs I'm using that are very tight.   Could a hum also result from possible mismatches between positive and negative leads?

Thanks,

Rick

Has nothing to do with banana plugs or speaker wiring. As SMHarman says, its a grounding issue.  Look up ground loop hum on the internet, and you will get tones of info.

That hum you are hearing is most likely a 60hz sinewave, which is the frequency of household power.

You can download a signal generator app for most mobile devices, and set it to 60hz and a sinewave and you can compare if that is what your hearing from your speakers.

Thanks all, great advice, I'll have it investigated.  Is the best thing to have an electrician provide a dedicated clean/grounded outlet for the amps?

Would the amps likely be the only powered units affected or could other C4 components be affected?

Thanks,

Rick

I've I'm playing music through zones in my house I find that when transitioning between songs or at the end of a playlist when there is silence that I can hear significant hum through the speakers in various rooms.  I do have the volume cranked up to about 60%+.  How do I tune the Control4 amps to enable good volume but now or no hum?

Thanks,

Rick

Define significant.  I just cranked mine to 60% (that's damn high IMO) and it hums.  So it is the amp.  What else would actually have the potential to hum?  Not a piece of wire- it's the amp.  I would suggest all who post go try it for themselves then come back and post again.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a tone generator iOS app that they use that is really free and doesn't force you into in-app purchases to get functionality?  Freqgen is the one I see most about in Google searches, and it seems to have been removed from the store.

Archived