C4 Forums | Control4

RFID tags

badjesus

I saw the post about working on a driver for Smart Things and I got to thinking. Is there something that already integrates well with available drivers? Something like a small RFID that you can put on a keychain, or a pet's collar? I did some searches but couldn't find anything. There are talk about RFID but it looks all very custom. If I have a honeywell security system, is this going to be the best way to incorporate  RFID? 

From an end user standpoint, having the tiny little key fob is so valuable. 

RFID can be integrated in several means. As a security product however i recommend utilising it through the security system as a non monitored zone (or monitored depending on what you want to do with it i guess). Control4 sees it as an input into the security system which it can program off of. For example a door opening can trigger some lights on or blinds opening depending on the time of the day. You can utilise low level contacts through Control4's contact's however i always believe in keeping to sub-systems. Makes things neater and easier to troubleshoot should problems arise.

• 3 weeks later...

What about having a chip on you (key fob in pocket, etc.) and when you enter a room it automatically plays your source or turns on the tv to your favorite channel, changes the pictures on the digital picture frame to what you want on there, sets your lighting to your settings, etc.?

Anyway to do this?  Maybe this should be in Pushing the Envelope forum?

Archived