C4 Forums | Control4

Vented v Flat Blank Panels for AV Rack

eggzlot

I have finished building my AV Rack and I have some empty spaces.  Are the solid/flat panels or vented panels better?  I have access to both for free, so it is just a matter of selecting what is best.

I have no issues with ventilation, this is not a closet, the AV rack's back is in a room that is about 20' wide by 6' deep or so.  Its kind of a storage room in the basement, and the front of the AV Rack is cut into the wall so its showing in the main room in the basement.

This is mostly for aesthetics so the rack looks "complete".

The vented ones help fully enclosed rack situation so air can be drawn across the length to the units a bit better before being pulled out at the top. But that's minor and depends on the situation if it's really needed - which is rarely.

If easthetics is your worry, go with what you feel looks best.

Thanks - 2 more related questions

1) can you put a blank panel in front of a shelf?  The shelf is flush mount and it has some random boxes on it, nothing that looks nice or fancy.  Was thinking about taking out the screws for the shelf, holding shelf in place, putting panel over, then using a screw to adhere the shelf/panel into the same hole.  is that possible?

2) cage nuts.  Are they all the same?  I have a middle atlantic rack and I see on their site they have 2 SKU's for cage nuts.  Seem to be same size, just one in a 50 pack and another in a 100 pack, is that the only difference?  Do I need Middle Atlantic or any brand is fine?

1) Yes, provided the blank is a full flat unit - some have the small 'u' shape for added strength which may or may not work depending on spacing.

2) Cage nuts are universal, only occasional difference is the screws' head portion where you have basic screws, different security screws etc. So yes nuts are the same, other brands should work. There's better quality/easier to work with difference but size and connection should all be able to mix and match - it's all to a set standard.

As always thanks for the answers!  For cage nuts, I may try the slide/clip on ones?  These are just to hold up some blank panels, so weight is not a major concern.  That ok?  Stores do not stock cage nuts so would have to be an order somewhere.

Yep, indeed there's ones of that type that are fully rated for 100's of pounds - the clip/slide is just there to keep it in place until you screw it down.

Mind you I hate cage nuts myself - such a pain to work with. Though you can never wreck slot due to stripping with them - as you'd just replace the nut.

Archived