C4 Forums | Control4

System remote

junebug

is there a way to map a custom button to a physical button on the system remote, say the numbers or the # or - buttons?

i have an old Mitsubishi tv that does not have descrete inputs and its always gettin out of sync. I created a custom button but want to be able to just push a single button on the remote to toggle through the 5 inputs

Try editing the driver for the TV and adding PIP (it must go into the default command column) and learn the Toggle Input Command for it and that should work. You will need to have the latest driver update though.

I hope this helps,

Rob

Also, as I understand the # is currently useless on the remote. It's not even "on" so even if you map to it nothing happens.

That is incorrect. I'm using that button right now for DirecTV HD DVR's - it's the "second" enter button for these TIVO devices. And it works every time.

What is the EXACT name of the IR code you are mapping to?!?! I was mapping to "#" with no results. Finally after much frustration I called tech support. They said it was dormant. This was about 5 weeks ago.

Try mapping it to ENTER (you might also need to make sure SELECT is already mapped). I've noticed sometimes some keys will slide into other places - for example, if you have PAGE UP / PAGE DOWN keys - those will map to those buttons, but if you don't have those keys, then they'll automatically map to CHAN UP / CHAN DOWN. This could be one of those cases (dunno - didn't test) - but I do know I have both an ENTER and a SELECT which are two different functions in the H10 HD-DVR world from DirecTV (feel free to look at that driver yourself).

Then again - I think I'm wrong - I also see a POUND and STAR programming in that HR10-250 driver... so it looks like those are working - so try those INSTEAD of # and * - spell them out! Let us know!

ok, so we've determined that the * and # work, now here is the challenge, I want to be able to control the tv's inputs at all times with the mapped button. The problem I have is the button PIP, #, * only will send the ir code when the system is thinking it should be controlling the tv (TV mode), but if the system is thinking that the remote should be controlling something else and not the tv (ie like when you press the C4 red button and the remote is not acting as the tv remote) it wont send the codes cause those buttons are only active when the system is supposed to control the tv.

so the questions are

do we know of a button on the remote that will send an ir code to the tv no matter what "mode" its in? like the volume button

Is there an eaiser way to deal with a TV that does not have descrete inputs?

Basic Question:

How do you "map" a key on the remote, lets say the # key to an action for a device? There are no control events for the remote. Is there a way to do this in the device's driver?

You don't "MAP" it - you just put the IR code under that button. So if you want CHANNEL UP to work under POUND - you go into the driver, edit POUND and paste the same IR code that is in the CHANNEL UP.

One way to deal with them is by changing the input codes to macros that take the TV to tuner (03). Now you have a known state and can cycle through the inputs. EXMPL: Video3 = 03, TV/VIDEO, TV/VIDEO, TV/VIDEO.

I hear what you are saying, this TV is the root of all evil. There is no "anchor" state you can bring the tv to. When you change the tv to (03) it will change the station to (03) on all inputs and will stay on its current input, it doesn't go to Ant 1. So there is no way for the system to figure out where its at. So, I figured the best way would be a button on the remote that can control the input of the tv at all times so it can be changed manually. I think I will have to use the "mute" button to do this, it is the only other button besides "volume" that is set to control the tv at all times.

Any other ideas??

the only thing in this room is the tv and an HTC i have the htc video and audio on input 1, so if im streaming music it just plays through the tv speakers. The house has a 777 modulated and a Sat box modulated.

Thinking.......

What about modulating the HTC..... Would the tv only have to change channels then, not inputs??????

This is in my own home and I do realize I can replace the tv but, I'm sure I'll run across this in the field and am trying to imagine a good workaround. Taylor, I do like the idea of the receiver and this might be the best suggestion. Plus that gives me an excuse to upgrade my receiver in the main room and bump that one over to this tv.

Archived