C4 Forums | Control4

This is intended as a comprehensive list of limitations that the 2.6 system software version has when updating from earlier version.
Other than new features that have specific device limitations, this is NOT intended to discuss the new features 2.6 introduces.
As I come across additions or changes to make to this post I'll try and keep it updated to the best of my knowledge. Initially at least it may be missing some of the info, there's a fair bit.

First of all, let's make clear that 2.6 is a MAJOR update.
While the system software version number may not suggest so, it should be seen to similar as updating a 1.7.4/1.8.2 system to 2.x was in terms of there being limitations on devices and potentially very involving system updates.
True there is no "Embernet to ZigBeePro" update as there was from 1.7.4 to the next, due to the limitations the 'update process' of a system from start to finish may be even more involving than that one was.
Should your current system 'fit in the bracket' the update will be very quick and painless though.
2.5.3 Should be regarded as a final stable release for systems that cannot upgrade (do not want to invest to upgrade) at this time.

Controllers.

The first consideration is the end of support of a long list of controllers as either the main controller or completely dropped.

Fully functional:
-HC1000
-HC1000v2
-HC1000v3
-HC800
-HC250
The HC1000 series is not recommended by control4, but can very much be used as a director.
Near as I can tell the reason for this suggestion of upgrading the HC1000 is that the newer controllers are, beyond their normal power index, far more efficient in handling both Director and Zigbee functions than older models.
As such the HC250, while technically inferior to the HC1000 in it's power index rating is able to handle all these process so efficiently (and therefor not required to drop a lot of communication on the normal network) that it could be considered better.
Personally I have had 2.6 on an HC1000 for quite some time without any problems.

Completely dropped:
-Media Controller (MC)
-Home Theater Controller (HTC)
-Sony STR-DA5800ES
-Sony STR-DA2800ES
These will have to be removed from your system and replaced accordingly.
For the Sony receivers, the driver will need to be replaced with the 'normal' receiver driver - all controller functions will cease, but it will continue to work as an A/V receiver.

Limited Function:
-HC200
-HC200B
-HC300
-HC300C
-HC500
These controllers CANNOT be used as the main controller in the system, they can only function as secondary controllers for control, audio, on-screen and ZAP functionality.
HOWEVER there are some additional limitations on audio and ZAP function.
Two new features are part of the 2.6 release - the new Advanced Audio System (AAS) and the ZigBee Proxy Broadcast (ZPB).

Note that the AAS is NOT the new media proxy that allows the better integration of streaming services.
-The AAS allows for faster codec support and reduced latency. This system is turned OFF by default and the system runs the 'old' version still.
IF the AAS is turned on, the audio outputs AND inputs on these controllers will cease functioning. The speakerpoint has similar issues - I'll discuss this separately.
-The ZPB is a function where a ZAP now no longer has to be within range of the original ZigBee Mesh to function. This removes the requirement for a separate Zap coordinator and ZigBee server for remote locations.
While this doesn't affect existing systems directly, it's something to consider looking forward concerning expansions of the system.

Touchscreens.

Second as a large impact item is the touchscreens.

Only the 'current' models are still supported in the new software version.
Unlike previous situations where the older touchscreens would functions 'as is' and be incapable of using newer features, this release sees all of these screens completely removed.

Fully supported:
-C4-TSWMC7-EG (also known as Infinity edge 7", non camera 7")
-C4-TSWMC5-EG (also known as Infinity edge 5")
-C4-TSMC7-EN (also known as 7" Portable with Camera, Portable 7" V2)
-C4-TW7CO (also known as 7" touchscreen with camera, 7" In-wall V2)

Completely Dropped:
-C4-TSM-10.51B (10.5" Portable v1)
-C4-TSM10-G-B (10.5" Portable v2)
-C4-TSWM10-E (10" In-wall)
-TSE-3.8C1 (Mini Touchscreen v1, MTS v1) both wired and wireless version
-TSE-3.8C2 ((Mini Touchscreen v2, MTS v2) both wired and wireless version
-C4-TSTR7-EG-B (7" Table Top)
-C4-TSWM7-E-B (7" In-wall)
-C4-TSWM7-EG-B (7" In-wall, later version with wireless option)
-C4-TSM7-G-B (7" Portable)

Other C4 equipment

Only one thing here, but one of some import.

The speakerpoint, while still supported in 2.6 will not UPDATE to 2.6 but be stuck at 2.5.3.
This brings some limitations with it.
As with the controllers, it cannot support the AAS. This means if AAS is activated it's input and outputs (both speaker and line level out) will no longer be able to be used.
In that scenario, the speakerpoint can be set to the Local Amp mode. In this mode it will be able to output whatever is connected to the input to either it's line-out or it's speaker outputs, retaining full % step discrete volume control.
In other words it becomes a simple single zone amplifier with discrete volume control.
I'm aware it was floating around that it would not be able to be used wirelessly. This to my knowledge is not accurate.

Note that if you do not use the new advanced function (and you won't unless manually enabled) the speakerpoint will work no different than before.

App control.

This may be important to your situation and easily overlooked by end users and dealers alike.

Along with 2.6 a NEW app is launched.

This is seen as a separate app in the respective stores. The old app called MyHome and the new app called Control4.
The two apps will remain available alongside each others for the time being at least.

The limitation lies in that the MyHome app CANNOT be used on 2.6, while the new Control4 app CANNOT be used on pre 2.6 version.
Furthermore the new Control4 app has a minimum operating system support: iOS7 and Android 4 respectively.
This means that if you have a device unable to run those mobile software versions that unit cannot to be used in 2.6!

The PC app is still an Adobe Air app, completely identical to a 7" touchscreen. Unlike the mobile apps, you cannot have both apps on the same computer, and the app WILL connect across versions.

That said connecting the pre 2.5.3 app to 2.6 is likely to cause issues and would be missing new functionality, likewise connecting a 2.6 app to a previous version will cause issues because the 'old' versions of for example TuneIn and Rhapsody are no longer present. So be sure to load the correct version (your customer.control4 account should point you to the right one).
Note that there is NO added ability to run across platforms (Windows RT) or remote capability via 4Sight.

Third party equipment/drivers no longer supported

So far only one is known not to work - will update this list if/as I come across then.

Honeywell EnviraZone - This driver not only fails to work in 2.6, it has to manually be removed prior to update or can cause project corruption

Other considerations

At this point three important considerations of a different nature come into play that should be considered prior to upgrading.

-Composer is no longer supported to run on Windows XP

It MAY run and work for you, but numerous issues have been reported (mainly centering on Virtual Director in Pro). The supported versions are Windows 7 and Windows 8.

-Embernet upgrading is no longer supported in 2.6.

This means that no devices running Embernet can be added to a 2.6 and up system directly.
To do so one would need to have a controller (though not and HC250 or HC800 as they never had the proper radio) on an older software version, running director and registered to a separate account to update these devices to ZigBeePro first.

-Devices have to be on version 2.2x or above to be updated to 2.6
This not only means that updating a system from a prior version has to be updated to another version first - that wouldn't be much of a problem.
But it also means that if you get a device that's on an older version, or gets factory restored to an older version has to be updated separately to 2.2.x before it can be updated (back) to 2.6 - and a system RUNNING 2.6 can't do that.
Not much of an issue on USB restorable controllers, as you'd just use a USB restore of version 2.2x or above. This IS a concern for devices that have the built-in factory restore button (and the speakerpoint as it won't do a restore above 1.6 or 1.7.4 if it's an older unit - if it has the dead IR outs).
Because any of these devices may have restore points as far back as 1.8.0 pre-loaded, these devices then cannot be updated back to 2.6 by the system.
This in not the end of the world, as you could take that controller or take A controller (in case of speakerpoint, I/O extender or touchscreen), restore it as well , update to 2.2.x and then update to 2.6. But it certainly is more troublesome.
Note that devices now get shipped with 2.6 installed, but with a factory restore at 2.5.3 so any concern about this becoming impossible are likely far down the road.
Also note that this issue in particular has been put before Control4 and last I heard they'd look into making this less of a hassle somehow.

Small note on the cursive script above - a utility is available to dealers that allows updating the factory restore data of some devices - namely 2.6 for i/o extenders, HC300C and HC200B and 2.5.3 for the older Infinity Edge Screens.

Minor Considerations

Some of the changes in 2.6 can require additional work to be done, either by the end user or the dealer.

-Media services

With the new media service proxy come a number of changes.

Among them is Rhapsody becoming a driver, a change that should get prompted to be updated separately (and automatically) but is sometimes missed. Also of note is that combined playlists of Rhapsody and stored media is no longer possible.

Another is updated drivers from EV for certain sources and drivers made by other 3rd party developers or by component manufacturers as well (VideoStorm NeyPlay audio for example).

ComposerPro has been neatly updated in that it prompts and or warns you better when there are updated drivers as well as making it much easier TO update these driver - but it still has to be done.

In some occasions device firmware may need updating as well.

-Email formatting

The email agent has been changed in that it should properly do 'normal' formatting (breaks, spaces) now.

This means that the old "\n" to make these occur is no longer needed and will now show as text instead.

So some added programming work may need to be done here to 'clean' the email alerts.

-More button and Motors/Relays/Sensors update

These now no longer show up under the "more" section in navigators being moved to security or comfort and so on, indeed more is now named settings.

While this is a nice update, it may take some getting used to.

More importantly, relays etc now by default show up only in their respective rooms, and no longer show as a clump in in every room. So you may find it a lot harder to open those garage doors from the living room. This can be fixed however as you can choose to 'show' any of these items in a room by room basis (much like watch/listen sources and lighting devices/scenes).

Hope this will prove of some use to you all, and prevents some unpleasant surprises.

Good info...now to decide if older iOS devices (I suspect this might affect a lot of kids' iPod Touch devices, cheap Android tablets, etc that Apple forced obsolescence on or the vendor didn't support for long) that can't run the new app get forgotten about or if Houselogix InstantControl or Pocket Keypad might be a solution).

PC app is a mimic of the 7" touchscreen, there's a new version as there is for the other Apps though I'll have to check if there's a similar non-compatible issue across system software versions. I'll update once I find out.

No changes on basic functions though - it's still an adobe air App as it was before.

Yes thank you, I was eating out of my nose the whole time while I was convincing myself I was American also.

Take care in what you assume on something you know nothing of.

NON of the above has anything to do with beta testing - they are chosen limitations, not bugs.

It being all "Americans" is a ridiculous pre-assumption.

There's people from the US, Canada, UK, Scotland (yes that's on purpose :blink: ), Germany, The Netherlands, Poland, Serbia, Russia, Turkey, Mexico, Brasil and India that I KNOW of that are active participants.

But as mentioned the topic of this thread and the limitations therein have nothing to do with beta testing.

There is also a known issue with the Android App for 2.6.  If you are using ART as your runtime and you go to the camera page, it crashes.

To clarify, that this bug only shows up when using Android’s unreleased ART (Android Run Time) functionality.  Android is making some changes in their run time environment and have communicated to the developer community that ART will be the standard run time for the Android OS in some future Android published release.   Right now this software is in beta, but not part of their published release.  The problem we are seeing is a stack space issue when running a device that has the ART functionality. 

In talking with the larger Android team, Control4 has not fully tested what impact ART will have on all of our interfaces, however right now we know that the camera page will crash immediately when enabled. 

The correction to add additional stack space is not a simple correction and is one that will surely cause other issues with other Control4 functions in the Android environment.  At the end of the day adding additional stack space may not be the best correction.  In addition, the ART code included in the beta builds of Android is exactly that, beta.  Developing anything against a beta release from a company with which we are not completely entwined at a development level, is risky at best, as the code may change and negate the changes we make, or even possibly not require any change at all once they finalize the code.  The bug we are seeing might be problems with the ART code itself and may be corrected by Android, we don’t know.  Right now, It was simply way too risky to make a change to 2.6, and since ART is not part of the shipping Android code. 

If Android releases their version of Android with ART enabled between the 2.6 and 2.7 release, we (Control4) will need to make a decision to either release a 2.6.x, in the event that Control4 correction is necessary, or to not support the new version of Android until 2.7 or Android Official support of ART is released. 

In the meantime, the dealer/developer can disable ART to gain access back to their cameras. 

I hope this helps. 
Matt

How ever you want to classify it:

ART is a new Android runtime being introduced experimentally in the 4.4 release. This is a preview of work in progress in KitKat that can be turned on in Settings > developer options. This is available for the purpose of obtaining early developer and partner feedback.

See: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

Matt

How ever you want to classify it:

ART is a new Android runtime being introduced experimentally in the 4.4 release. This is a preview of work in progress in KitKat that can be turned on in Settings > developer options. This is available for the purpose of obtaining early developer and partner feedback.

See: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

Matt

Right, but what I am trying to say is that on the Nexus devices running Android 4.4.4 it is the only runtime.  There is no way to change back to Davlik.  Google removed it.  With Android 4.4.2 you could go back to Davlick.  With 4.4.4 the only option is ART.

Right, but what I am trying to say is that on the Nexus devices running Android 4.4.4 it is the only runtime.  There is no way to change back to Davlik.  Google removed it.  With Android 4.4.2 you could go back to Davlick.  With 4.4.4 the only option is ART.

I am not sure what to tell you, in the introduction to ART it states that it may break third party apps:

“Dalvik must remain the default runtime or you risk breaking your Android implementations and third-party applications.”

That blows my mind that a manufacture would only allow for an experimental/beta feature to be selected. 

Matt

Archived