C4 Forums | Control4

HDBaseT HDMI Video Matrix Switch

cpotts

Hello, I'm building a new home and I'm looking at C4 for the automation.  The C4 system will consist of a HC-800 controller, 7" in-wall touch screen and a couple of the SR-250 remote controls.  I have a lot of AV questions but first I want to start with the video distribution solution.  I had the home prewired so that I have cat5e runs from each of the TV locations back to my AV closet.  I would like to go with a HDBaseT HDMI video matrix switch but I'm concerned that I'm jumping in a little early on the technology.  I know that C4 has the C4-8ZVMS-B switch but I haven't seen many people discussing this model on the forums.  My AV dealer is leading with the Atlona AT-PRO2HD88M model but I'm concerned about interoperability with my C4 system.  I would prefer to stay with the same vendor for the home automation and audio/video distribution.  However, if the C4 video matrix hasn't been around long enough to get some real field testing then I would rather go with the best of breed video matrix.  

I would like to get some guidance on wither or not to go with the C4 video matrix or with a different vendor.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Cliff

Just make sure that the switch has a rock solid driver and all the features that you need.  Atlona, Control4, Leaf, Binary, Avocation, etc are all good switches.  Talk to your dealer about if you will be needing to break out any audio.  Most likely your dealer is specifying the proper switch for your design.  You don't need to stay with the same vendor as long as you have a solid driver.  I would recommend shielded cat6 vs. the cat5e though.  Good luck!

Archived