C4 Forums | Control4

Router

MakeItAMudLight

Presently I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme A/C as my primary router.  It's hooked up to a 16 port Cisco switch.  I'm also using an older Apple Airport Extreme N upstairs as an additional access point.  I have a Motorola cable modem that is a dedicated modem.  Everything mentioned is hard wired via Cat 6.  I'm looking to add a dedicated router to replace the Airport Extreme A/C.  It will then just be an access point for downstairs.  What's something that's a step up from my current configuration that you can recommend?

The edge router capabilities are greater then dd-wrt, so you won't find anyone porting that software to the Ubiquiti hardware.

Generally dd-wrt is for consumer gear that doesn't have a lot of functionality

Well, in my case it would be more about staying consistent with what I have now, I don't want to switch away from what is working for me in the DD-WRT world.  There might be a time where I think my current router needs to be replaced though.  Thanks.

Had a cisco router before that needed rebooting almost every 2 weeks before this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I currently have a cisco RVS4000 that has been running good for 7 years now, but now system is starting to lag every so often. Would it be in my best interest to go with something newer now?

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I currently have a cisco RVS4000 that has been running good for 7 years now, but now system is starting to lag every so often. Would it be in my best interest to go with something newer now?

What controllers are you running. What os version?

It could be hardware and is not routing.

What controllers are you running. What os version?

It could be hardware and is not routing.

I know this wasn't directed at me but to add I'm running Director 2.6 on a HC-250 as the primary controller with a HC-800, HC-300C, HC-300, 2 HC-200Bs, and a HC-200 all as slaves.  I know I should have the HC-800 as the primary but it's an older model that I got on a deal and doesn't have the site licenses.  

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with the Cisco RV320?

I have a Netgear N900 (WNDR4500) and also trying out a Asus N66 with Tomato firmware but also realizing that I need a business like solution

the RV042G was suggested but it's quite old and understood the RV320 is an upgraded version.

any Cisco fans out there with experience in C4 install?

• 4 months later...

Ubiquiti ERLite-3 is the way to go. TONS of possibilities. The Router has a couple of wizards to help you get you going. It is very easy to do do MAC reservation and port forwarding. Thats basically all I need.

This is how you should setup your network:

Cable modem > Ubiquiti ERLite-3 (use only 1 port for LAN) > Gigabit Switch > All your devices and APs

Archived