C4 Forums | Control4

Roku Player and Room Off Function

I have a question in reference to the Roku player and the "Room Off" function through Control4.  If you're watching something on TV via a Roku player (say Netflix as an example) and you want to turn everything off for the night, is there a way of programming the remotes, touch screens, etc., to exit Netflix and bring the Roku player back to the main page (Channel Page) when you use the "Off" function or "Room Off" button on the remotes/tablets/touch screens?  If I just hit the "Room Off" button on the remote, it has no function/control of the Roku player and whatever we're watching still continues to play as if you still had the TV on, which prevents the Roku from going into "sleep mode".  I typically have to hit the "guide" button on the remote to bring the Roku player back to the "Channel Page" (main page) and then I can turn off everything with the Room Off button.

Scott

Thanks Ryan... my programmer said that's an easy fix with my Roku players.  It was an extra step (hitting the guide button) that we (wife and I) kept forgetting when turning everything off for the evening when going to bed or in the morning when leaving for work/school.

Scott

WHEN THE ROOM TURNS OFF

IF ROOM SELECTED VIDEO DEVICE IS ROKU

GO TO THE RACK->ROKU MENU

Right?

You need to be careful with this type of stuff in a centralized matrixed environment but I think this is ok...

How so? What would be the concern?

Ie if both room A and room B both are watching the Roku and you turn room A off, room B now stops playing and goes to main menu.

If this IS a problem or not depends on useage of course.

You COULD catch this in programming, but it gets pretty nasty:

When room A turns off

--IF room B is off

----IF room C is off

------IF room D is off

.................and so on, then you'd have to do this for every room off as well.

Oh okay... got it.  Thanks for the explanation.  In my situation, I have a roku connected to an HDMI input on my family room receiver, which is going out to the family room TV only.  No other rooms share the roku player.  However, now that I think about it... I didn't know you could share the Roku on multiple TV displays.  Does this mean an individual roku player has the ability to play different signals (example, Netflix and Hulu Plus) simultaneously in two different rooms or are you talking about the Roku is streaming the same signal to two different TVs in two different rooms?  Thanks

Scott

I have a follow up question.  I noticed when we are using other sources in the room (blu ray player, XB1, PS4, listening to music, etc.) and we use the "Room Off" command button on the remote, this wakes the Roku player from sleep mode.  I recently had the dealer program the "Room Off" command to include the "Guide" commend for the Roku player, but only if we are using the Roku player... not other sources.  Is there a way to program the "Room Off" command to include the "Guide" command with the Roku player ONLY.  If we are using other sources to watch/listen and we use the "Room Off" command on the remote not to wake the Roku player?

Scott

Get tricky but possible

First you need a variable: Roku Used. Boolean variable

When video input changes

IF current selected device is Roku

---set variable [Roku Used] to true

when room off

IF variable [Roku Used] is true

--send guide to roku

--set variable [Roku Used] to false.

Using the variable this way makes sure that if you change sources before turning the room off (ie roku done, watch some TV) it all still responds properly.

On occasion the roku may have gone to sleep already (ie you watched the superbowl after) but it should limit false wake-ups to a minimum.

Archived