C4 Forums | Control4

Issue with Monoprice 4x4 Matrix HDMI® Switch & Splitter over CAT5e/CAT6 Cable w/ Remote

eggzlot

Got a question - long question as I've done a lot of testing tonight and cannot crack the code:

I am on my 2nd unit already, replaced the first one after ~8 months, this one is about 2 months old.  This is not their HDBaseT model but just an HDMI > ethernet switch: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8151&seq=1&format=2

3 sources (DVR box, regular cable box and DVD Player) going to 3 rooms (Living room, Master Bed and Guest Bed).

All 3 sources work fine in the bedrooms.  2 of the 3 work in the living room, the DVR box (most important source) is flickering with snow in the living room.

I rebooted the HC800.  I rebooted my Cisco network switch.  I used a new HDMI cable from the DVR box into the switch.  I changed the input of the DVR box into the Cable Box input on the switch thinking maybe a bank was bad.  I changed the living room and guest room rooms in general and tried to manually turn on everything to make it work.  The living room has an AVR so I unplugged that and rebooted it, etc.  Though none of that should matter, because 2 other devices work flawless in the living room and obviously all running through the same wires/components, etc.

I am really at a lost.  3 rooms, 3 devices, everything but 1 (the most important, living room/DVR) combo is not working.

Other than throwing this thing out the window (which I should do) any recommendations?  

we had that same monoprice matrix in a customer home existing. ending up replacing it with snapav never a problem. one thing i can tell that is most likely causing issues is your av receiver. i would hook video directly to the tv then output to the sounds system.

C4 4 Walts - Yes I am rather sure it is some HDMI Handshake issue causing my problems.  the TVs in the other rooms have worked 99% of the time and they are just direct, no receiver in the mix. 

In this case, you'd go from the monoprice balun into the TV via HDMI, then using ARC to do HDMI "out" from TV to Receiver?  Or would I see if my TV (High end Panny Plasma VT Series - first 3d model so about 4 years old) has an optical audio out?  I am open to suggestions.

Eventually I want to replace maybe with an IP TV solution.  But for now, if I can make this work and get rid of the hiccups I'd be happy.

I know my TV via optical is only 2 channel.  I have some really nice speakers (Quads) and not willing to downgrade to basic 2 channel audio.  I will do some research to see if the ARC implementation on my TV allows for some 5.1/dolby output.  Its possible with ARC, just depends on the manufacture's decision on how to implement it.

I know my TV via optical is only 2 channel.  I have some really nice speakers (Quads) and not willing to downgrade to basic 2 channel audio.  I will do some research to see if the ARC implementation on my TV allows for some 5.1/dolby output.  Its possible with ARC, just depends on the manufacture's decision on how to implement it.

you may look into get an hdmi audio break out as well and this most will support 5.1 dolby

HDMI Audio break out?  Got a link to a device and how it works?  Monoprice switch is Ethernet wired up to my living room, Ethernet cables into the little balun box, then HDMI into the receiver, HDMI into TV from receiver, etc.  Where does the hdmi audio break out box go in the chain?  Pros/cons?

You're going to run into that problem with surround sources not playing in stereo zones even on the C4 8x8 matrix.  If you have sources that can simultaneously provide analog and digital audio it can be worked around, but those are few and far between.

Archived