C4 Forums | Control4

Question: Stream AV to computers on network?

gxclarke

We have quite a few computers around the house and I keep thinking it would be nice to tap into the C4 AV distribution capability directly from the computers, so I can watch or listen to a source device through a PC.

I would anticipate this solution involves setting up the computer network as a zone with a dedicated home theater controller. The AV signal would need to be streamed over the LAN (which would likely require a hardware encoding device), which could be viewed from the PC using a video player such as Windows Media Player.

Remote control of the zone could potentially be via a software application on the PC, or more simply, I could just use a C4 remote.

Has anyone implemented something like this, or have any idea how this can be implemented?

Thanks,

Gary

if you're just trying to get audio from your C4 media storage....It's already there, I mean it's networked so just point the default folder of your music program to the folder your media is on..ie

\\192.168.1.xxx find the audio folder from here...mine is under the media/usb/bunch o' numbers/// folder...maybe i'm not quite understanding what you're trying to accomplish...if it's audio to your computers, it's pretty much already available...for shizzle

It is AV sources that I am interested in, i.e. Audio and Video. I have several video sources (2 Directv receivers, a DVD player, a PS3 console, a Media Center PC, and an auxiliary input) connected to my C4 system via an audio matrix switch and a video matrix switch, and I'd like to be able to select them to watch from the computer, similarly to what I can currently already do for the TVs around the house.

Have you considered a SlingBox? I have an 8x component video matrix and a first generation SlingBox. I'm either going to upgrade to a newer Slingbox or purchase another Component to Composite converter and set the SlingBox to one of the matrix outputs. I can then watch on any PC just by installing the SlingPlayer, plus I can also watch remotely over the internet.

Controlling the video device would be easy in the house using the C4 remote and custom buttons. From outisde the house I could either VNC in or use macros via the C4 web interface (4sight and mycontrol4.com).

Does that make sense? Does it get at what you're looking for?

--Jason

Archived