C4 Forums | Control4

Best thermostat for c4 integration

JEC

I am a current nest user and building a new home - but don't have anything integrated with c4. I am looking for the "best" thermostat for c4 integration. I am very interested in the honeywell lyric with houselogix integration. Any one have experience? Is nest better...or something else? Ecobee?

Thanks!

Nest can be integrated into Control4 - but Nest's API is somewhat limited. The Honeywell Lyric integrates very well using the Houselogix Driver.

Other products include EcoBee, CT80 and more advanced systems like some BACnet units and TecMar.

For more info check extravegetables.com and houselogix.com for some of the most common options and info. Nest's driver is direct from Control4.

They all work well and so does the C4 thermostat - question in this is more what fits your own need (and wiring and aesthetics) from the thermostats themselves.

C4's interface has some limitations (and hopefully sees an overhaul soonish), but that has little to nothing to do with the thermostat's ability or (individual) integration.

Is a Nest worth buying? I just went through a divorce, so I've no longer got someone here all the time. Makes me slightly more interested in their learning abilities and what it could do for my utility costs.

What short comings am I going to experience as it relates to what I get with C4 stats?

Is a Nest worth buying? I just went through a divorce, so I've no longer got someone here all the time. Makes me slightly more interested in their learning abilities and what it could do for my utility costs.

What short comings am I going to experience as it relates to what I get with C4 stats?

Ouch.

Well Nest isn't great for off-site control/monitoring because it blocks communication in 'away' mode. Also limits it's use for associated triggers (current temperature for example).

View the Nest mainly as now having a free ability to at least somewhat see the temperature - not as a neat t-stat to use for additional 'smart' purposes.

If you're reasonably but not overly regular in when you're home or not the Nest is nice because it automates things for you by itself - though that's nothing C4 can't do with a normal schedule and some motions if you want to maintain "control" as well.

Dan

Seems everyone is coming out with their own 'Nest' stat. (ie, Lyric, Ecobee3).  I personally am going to sit tight for a while

There's a number of thermostats in the works too ranging from the big guys to start-up companies that may see the light in short order and have potential.

If you have a working solution in your system now and just WANT more features, it may be wisest to wait for now - no idea if and what these might add, but it seems to be overhaul season for HVAC control at the moment

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We put a Nest in to Control my ducted heating. Dave and I were shocked how easy to install and good this product is.

I have been very impressed.. And my wife loves it. It's the first Tstat she has actually got interested in..

I love the way it lies dormant overnight and goes to sleep.. then switches itself on when it sense you have entered the room in the morning

Perfect for a heating system that doesn't require much load time to warm up.. 

I think for control of something simple like on/off of a gas air heater these things are amazing..  

Nest has not been an option for me because I live in the south, and they don't seem to be able to control multi-stage cooling systems.

Seems like Nest was designed only for cold climates and heating systems. Unless they have recently upgraded their control capabilities for multi-stage cooling?  Every time I would send a photo of my T-Stat wires to Nest Support, they would email back saying the Nest can't control my system.

Personally, I think the Nest motion sensing feature is more gimmicky than useful.  My wife and I both work from home.  She gets the office downstairs, and I have a bedroom upstairs converted into my office.  The T-Stats are located in the hallway downstairs and the hallway upstairs, and one more in the master bedroom.  If we were to let Nest do it's thing, it would think we were not home when actually we were home, but not walking past the T-Stat.

Furthermore, I have heard that Nest and Control4 only work together in a basic sense.  I heard that if you are not home and the Nest is asleep, that you can't use Control4 to wake it up and change temps.  Is that true or not?

As such - sure. it depends on the DRIVER to have the functionality - or if you use a separate relay (from a controller for example) then yes.

An I still say unless you need t-stats right this very moment of you'll melt/freeze.....hang in there for a bit. Perhaps ESI will show some new options.

Was just at the AHR Expo in Chicago this week. Some new players hitting the market and some small updates to existing products but nothing that I saw that's going to be a game changer or better then anything on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Take a look at the Software Thermostat on Houselogix, it can turn a C4 system into a fully functional HVAC system. It will take any temperature sensor as source and will trigger almost any device by Set Points. May be useful to integrate a not so standard HVAC system and to build your own using a window A/C unit teamed with baseboard heater as example. C4 Touch Screen or the mobile app is used as thermostat interface, no bulky t-stat is needed on wall.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived