C4 Forums | Control4

Best thermostat for c4 integration

JEC

• 4 months later...

I wanted to tag along to this question (and considering its now 5 months old, there is probably an updated answer).  I also want to change out my thermostats to something that is integrated with C4 (currently its Honeywell/Trane thermostats that don't have wifi), however I need to change 4 thermostats and don't necessarily want to pay a lot if C4 strips out the useful features of a Nest or EcoBee3.  So all in, which thermostat setup makes the most sense factoring in 4 thermostat purchases and potential licensing cost.  For the more expensive options, does it make sense to buy the fancier systems (ie are there cool features that are useful and not stripped away by using C4)

Thanks

I wanted to tag along to this question (and considering its now 5 months old, there is probably an updated answer).  I also want to change out my thermostats to something that is integrated with C4 (currently its Honeywell/Trane thermostats that don't have wifi), however I need to change 4 thermostats and don't necessarily want to pay a lot if C4 strips out the useful features of a Nest or EcoBee3.  So all in, which thermostat setup makes the most sense factoring in 4 thermostat purchases and potential licensing cost.  For the more expensive options, does it make sense to buy the fancier systems (ie are there cool features that are useful and not stripped away by using C4)

Thanks

Only thermostats I would use on a C4 project are nest or control4. Nest is cheaper, but you'll need your dealer to program both types in.

The limitations depend on your version of Control4. OS 2.7 included a new thermostat interface.

I'm including the important limitations for the 2.7+ version.

LIMITATIONS:
 * Control4 Thermostat UI:
    - There is no ‘native Nest’ scheduling support through the Control4 UI.  Control4’s “Preset Scheduling” can be used in the Nest driver.
 * Nest API / System:
    - If the home is in 'Away' mode, any thermostat commands will fail (other than 'Set to Home/Away') with an error
    - If the thermostat is offline (not communicating to WiFi for any reason), any thermostat commands (other than 'Set to Home/Away') will fail
    - If the thermostat is low battery, any thermostat commands will fail
    - Nest's API does not allow 3rd parties to set the system into "auto-away" mode, only "away" or "home"

• 1 month later...

Only thermostats I would use on a C4 project are nest or control4. Nest is cheaper, but you'll need your dealer to program both types in.

The limitations depend on your version of Control4. OS 2.7 included a new thermostat interface.

I'm including the important limitations for the 2.7+ version.

LIMITATIONS:
 * Control4 Thermostat UI:
    - There is no ‘native Nest’ scheduling support through the Control4 UI.  Control4’s “Preset Scheduling” can be used in the Nest driver.
 * Nest API / System:
    - If the home is in 'Away' mode, any thermostat commands will fail (other than 'Set to Home/Away') with an error
    - If the thermostat is offline (not communicating to WiFi for any reason), any thermostat commands (other than 'Set to Home/Away') will fail
    - If the thermostat is low battery, any thermostat commands will fail
    - Nest's API does not allow 3rd parties to set the system into "auto-away" mode, only "away" or "home"

with all the limitations why not the Ecobee3? Any personal experience? 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived