C4 Forums | Control4

Need a new TV

ILoveC4

I am needing to replace a 50" Pioneer Elite (Kuro) that my ex wife took during our divorce. I loved that TV, and don't know that I'll be able to get something to match it's quality, which bums me out.

I'm looking for TV suggestions. I need the TV to have discrete inputs and be controllable via either IP or RS232. I've got no interest in an IR bud. I've been writing lots of big checks lately, so ideally it will be something I don't have to spend a fortune on. Looking for something between 50" & 60".

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Nearest match are the latest Panasonic higher end plasma's - if you can still locate any (I've seen some last stock new in box unites in the last month, maybe two) - they also shouldn't cost too crazy an amount - I'm uncertain on control options.

If you want anything to beat it - you're only bet will be 4K TV's, meaning a higher budget, and a risk unto itself (thing "UDTV Ready" - as in "HDTV Ready")

As far as brands with serial/IP drivers - there are two companies with a good list of serial, and three with IP. Sharp and Sony both have decent lists of serial and IP drivers (certified drivers) and Toshiba is the other one with lots of IP drivers (again certified). I just never see Toshiba TVs....

Both the Sony and Sharp drivers have always worked fine for me.

Check out the LG OLED we have one in our store and it is beyond anything else we have in picture quality and its only 1080p. I second Cyknight on the Panasonic sourcing them will be the fun part we only have one left ourselves new in a box 

Funny, I'm actually less than impressed. Not that it's a bad TV, but just a good one among many.

Specifically for me, I saw LG's 4K OLED at CEDIA, and the contrast itself, aside from how thin it is, was the most impressive. Sure there are other great sets out there, and for cheaper, but if I needed to replace my plasma today I would be looking at OLED options, personally. 

So, I find a lightly used 60" Kuro on the local classifieds that I can buy for $850. It looks brand new, still mounted on its pedestal. I'm going to access the hidden service menu and look at the number of hours that it has been used... What should I watch out for? The one I lost was circa 2007 and had seen boat loads of use, and still was going strong.

On the Pioneers, the only things to check really is high hours and burn-in. It's always a risk to buy second hand, but beyond that those beasts are hard to break.

That's what I'm thinking. What would be considered really high hours? I'll be able to see the number of hours, but have no idea what is acceptable.

I'm conflicted between buying that pre-owned Kuro, or for the same price buying the "advertised special" 60" TV from Samsung, Panasonic or Sharp. They all have a 60" at the "$799 on sale" price point.

On a pioneer elite, the half-life is well over 100000 hours off the top of my head.

Anything under 20k is as good as unused, if it goes over 60k I'd think hard on it. If over 80k I'd not consider it (for the price you state).

At 9 hours a day, 100k half-life is over 15 years of life-span before brightness becomes a real issue.

Cyknight, you seem super familiar with this TV so I thought I'd ask. I've been scouring Google, but haven't had any luck.

The "Service Only" is what I've got RS232 connected to on my other Kuros for control. The problem is, it isn't working on this TV.

This one is the PDP-6020FD. Do you know what I need to do to enable to RS232 control?

You need to DISABLE SR/system remote if memory serves. Depending on exact model, this option is either in the service menu, or under the normal user menu.

It's been awhile, and there's plenty of models :unsure:

Oh COULD be called SR+ too.

Thanks Cyknight. I've spent a fair amount of time looking for a solution and keep coming up blank.

If anyone knows what is required to get the RS232 port working on the PDP-6020FD I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Well I checked my docs/systems, and the model number you have CAN be controlled serial - that's something.

Make sure your cable is straight not null though, and if possible check that the baud rate is set correct (9600) - especially if you're using and external unit like an iTach.

And that indeed you turn the SR mode OFF/DISABLED.

Cyknight, I took a Pioneer 5010FD off the wall and put this 6020 up. Same cables and everything. I now it's straight, and controlled directly off the HC800.

I cannot find anywhere in the menu where I can turn off SR Mode (or even see any mention of it). It looks like I may need a "service remote" or some special computer program? At least that's based on what I've been able to find. I get back in town tomorrow and really need to get it working. I'll keep looking for the SR MODE, but I'm pretty sure it's in a hidden menu that I can't access.

You must get into Integrator Mode.

From Standby, press and release Home Menu key and within three seconds press and release the power button.

User cursor keys to disable SR mode and enable RS-232.

Press and release Home Menu to exit Integrator Mode.

That's from my Pioneer notes.

You must get into Integrator Mode.

From Standby, press and release Home Menu key and within three seconds press and release the power button.

User cursor keys to disable SR mode and enable RS-232.

Press and release Home Menu to exit Integrator Mode.

That's from my Pioneer notes.

Thanks so much! I can get in to the integrator menu, but the only option I can find is UART SELECT <=> : XXXXBPS.

Archived