C4 Forums | Control4

Rachio IRO Irrigation?

eggzlot

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. The Rachio driver exposes every zone as a relay, so you could use Composer's scheduler or programming to manage it. It's a simple matter of turning on/off relays at that point.

The nice thing is the Rachio is pretty intelligent, so it's more of a set once and forget type of thing. The Rachio calculates schedule adjustments based on various factors; soil type, grass species, ground slope, weather, season, etc., and will scale up and down the current schedule by percentage, with the focus on keeping the lawn healthy while saving water. So if you lock down the schedule in Control4, you lose that functionality. Ideally, you just set it up and let it do it's thing, and then rely on the Control4 UI to make temporary adjustments, delay for a party, manually water a specific area of the yard, fire programming when a zone turns on, etc.

Like all of our products, we constantly receive feedback, and try to implement feature requests when applicable. Let us know your use case.

-Jim

• 7 months later...

New irrigation controllers seem to be all the rage (I've been really happy with the Irrigation Caddy).  There's a new Rachio competitor called Blossom shipping in Jan.

No Rachio sales on "Prime Day" (yet?), but Blossom is getting a little discount.  I really only need 12 zones, but I assume there is not much hope of irrigation yet with Blossom is there?

• 5 weeks later...

This can't be right.  My relays aren't showing updated status when Rachio runs with the driver setup and API token inputted.  I need those relays to show in my system or my Flologic setup that will turn off my water without a triggered override isn't going to work.  What could be wrong?

If I look at the relays on a touchscreen while the sprinklers are running triggered by Rachio in the cloud, they don't show toggled.

To be clear, I can control the relays/sprinklers through C4 just fine with the Houselogix driver.  If I trigger the zones through Control4/Houselogix driver I see the zone status just fine.  I need feedback on the cloud operation though.  Monitoring status in this way through the relays is implied in various Houselogix documentation and the YouTube video, but never explicitly stated, that I can find.  I'm not sure why else the driver would be polling status every X minutes if not for that though.

On a side note, I'm confused on why I would ever turn the device off as opposed to just pause the schedule.  Maybe the commands for both options are just there for completeness?

Any other Rachio iro Houselogix driver users?  I'm not getting the sense that their support has seen this issue before.  Just wanting to know if another user can see the relay status change in C4 (either on a touchscreen or through the app) if you initiate the sprinkler operation through the cloud/Rachio app.  Its not something that I would suspect would be noticed by many users unless you were checking it or had specific programming setup to fire when C4 sees a zone active.  There is a lot of operation that seems to work fine and wouldn't depend on this specific subset of functionality.

Also would seem to be one of those things that could break pretty easily if something changed at Rachio--and may have worked at one time but has since broken.

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke too soon.  The feedback isn't realtime so it makes the programming challenging.  At least I think that is why the water shut off over the weekend--of course while i was out of town and you can't remotely turn water back on through Flologic.

Archived