C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Android Driver for Control4

alanchow

Chowmain%20Logo%20Transparent%20Medium.p 

Chowmain - Android Driver 

The Chowmain Google Android driver is designed to primarily control Google Android Set Top Boxes. This allows you to utilise the Control4 SR-250 remote to navigate the Android operating system and control applications as you would with a normal infra red remote control. 

It also has the ability to mimic onscreen navigator functionality by using the Control4 application. Note that the Control4 navigator application was not designed to be used via navigational buttons and as such mouse cursor keys will need to be used. 

This driver also gives the ability to launch applications on first start and through any of the coloured buttons. 
Note that this driver requires a 3rd party application be installed and configured on a rooted android device. 

Features 

• One way IP Based communications
  • Transport Controls 
  • Playback Control 
  • Audio End-Point assignment for volume up/down/mute funcitonality 
  • Video End-Point assignment 
  • Launch applications from coloured buttons, on command or via programming tab 
  • SMS stype text entry via numberpad 
  • Mouse navigation emulation via number pad 

Frequently Asked Questions 

Why would i want to use an android set top box? 
You can use cheap Android Set Top boxes as media players using apps like XBMC, Plex, Netflix. 

What cool things can i do with this? 

• You can use this set top box as an onscreen navigator. 
  • You can also play games to an certain extent (though it is advised that you utilise a bluetooth controller or an air mouse for a better gaming experience).
  • This driver will also work on a google android tablet. Great for launching intercom, control4, skype and other useful apps on the tablet based upon doorbell presses and other events at your home. 

How do i use it just for launching appliations on my tablet? 
Simple. Just set up the driver but not connect any of the AV connections. All programming commands will still work. 

Why do you only support OS 2.6 and above? 
OS 2.6 offers a superior security encryption algorithm and a new and improved driver format. We have decided to only utilise this new format to ensure that the integrity of this driver is not compremised and that we can provide the best dealer/user experience available. 

How do I find out more information about the driver? 
Please see the links below for more information about the driver. 

Chowmain Website 

Download Installation Guide 

How do I buy the driver? 
This driver is developed by Chowmain software & apps and is distributed and supported by Houselogix, Inc. 

Download Driver / Purchase Licence 

Who do i contact for technical support? 
This driver is developed by Chowmain software & apps and is distributed and supported by Houselogix, Inc. 

Support 

Do you provide trial licences? 
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 48 hour trial. This is activated once you add the driver to the project. No additional steps are necessary. 

plex.png

• 1 year later...

@alanchowI am having issues with using my control4 to navigate my Shield tv. I think the problem is with using lanmote deluxe 1.5.1 on my Nvidia Shield with Android 6.0 and Shield 3.2.

I am only getting the mouse cursor to move but no other functions to work. I am having these issues outside of control4 as well.

I installed droidmote 3.7.7 and that is working great (outside of control4). I changed the ports to match the lanmote settings (so everything I can see lines up within composerhe) but not getting any c4 control.  Can droidmote be used?

On 9/29/2016 at 6:00 AM, ryanm said:

@alanchowI am having issues with using my control4 to navigate my Shield tv. I think the problem is with using lanmote deluxe 1.5.1 on my Nvidia Shield with Android 6.0 and Shield 3.2.

I am only getting the mouse cursor to move but no other functions to work. I am having these issues outside of control4 as well.

I installed droidmote 3.7.7 and that is working great (outside of control4). I changed the ports to match the lanmote settings (so everything I can see lines up within composerhe) but not getting any c4 control.  Can droidmote be used?

droidmote isn't lanmote so their communications protocol will be different.  I'm assuming lanmote might not be compatible with android 6.0.  If it doesn't work outside of Control4 it will not work inside of Control4.  Best to contact the LANmote developer for support.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here as @ryanm. I decided to update my Shield to 3.3 for Atmos/DTS-X pass through support. Unfortunately only app launch support is working, no basic menu controls through Lanmote. Will have to contact that developer and see if they are planning on updating to support Android 6.x

• 1 month later...

I use a RPi with the Kodi full driver and thinking about moving to an android box. Kodi full will only control the kodi part and this will control netflix and others? mostly looking for netflix + kodi 

• 4 months later...

I think you should work on a complete solution, we cannot use good or new hardware because you relay con Lanmote for the conectivity ?

All new boxes are at least android 6, so we are supposed to use old hardware/firmware for your driver to work ?

Regards !

Using the Flirc USB as noted in another thread works great from a control of the 2017 shield standpoint. I can wake it up using the control4 remote. You may be able to program it to wake up using that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

the challenge is needing root....

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I had poor results even being rooted, an nvidia shield 2015 or EM95X running 6.0 and above will have VERY limited control with LanMote. I contacted the Dev and they said beyond 4.x.x they don't support and have no plans on adding support moving forward.

At this stage if you are utilising Android boxes that are running OS 5 and above then we recommend that you install Kodi as a launcher.  This ensures that Kodi is running on the Android box at all times.

On 3/5/2017 at 11:21 PM, alanchow said:

At this stage if you are utilising Android boxes that are running OS 5 and above then we recommend that you install Kodi as a launcher.  This ensures that Kodi is running on the Android box at all times.

So if this is true, why sell an android driver ? Also that needs Lanmote to work ? This is not an answer for a 130 USD driver !! 

Lanmote seems to be working on a new version, they said they have issues on the SELINUX system and hoping to release a public beta soon but almost 4 months on this.

http://lanmote.idea.informer.com/

https://plus.google.com/communities/104930843995074725220

Incorrectly I assumed that the android driver will solve the Lanmote depency, until my control4 dealer advise the need for Lanmote, then I got a 130 driver for nothing.

Regards !

39 minutes ago, Yucleto said:

So if this is true, why sell an android driver ? Also that needs Lanmote to work ? This is not an answer for a 130 USD driver !! 

Lanmote seems to be working on a new version, they said they have issues on the SELINUX system and hoping to release a public beta soon but almost 4 months on this.

http://lanmote.idea.informer.com/

https://plus.google.com/communities/104930843995074725220

Incorrectly I assumed that the android driver will solve the Lanmote depency, until my control4 dealer advise the need for Lanmote, then I got a 130 driver for nothing.

Regards !

The driver clearly says that lanmote is required....but i would contact Houselogix and ask for a refund if you aren't able to use the driver

We have always published all installation information on our website for everyone to see regardless if they are a dealer or not.

Quite a few dealers utilise the LANmote functionality in their projects so we don't want to kill off a driver purely because it doesn't support newer OS versions.  In fact one dealer utilises it in every one of his projects and I'm sure he will be upset if I did this.

We do advise that prior to purchasing you need to test out LANmote first without driver installation and our trial licencing is designed for people to test out our driver prior to purchase as well.

If after the trial prior people are still unsatisfied with their purchase we offer refunds and have always done so.

HouseLogix will process the refund to the dealer.

Your dealer will need to contact them to go through with this.

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Alan, we have a amazon tablet.

With this driver would we be able to see who at the door once the bells pushed - would this also work when away from

The home ?

Hi Gary,

No it will not.  Since Control4 will need to send a command to the IP address of the tablet for it to work.

• 3 months later...

Is this driver still in development? As many others, I have noticed that not all the functions of the Lanmote app is working on the newest android version. The Lanmote developer does not respond to posts on the app forum. Have you thought of using something else than Lanmote to make it work with the newest android version?

On 13/08/2017 at 3:15 AM, theisp said:

Is this driver still in development? As many others, I have noticed that not all the functions of the Lanmote app is working on the newest android version. The Lanmote developer does not respond to posts on the app forum. Have you thought of using something else than Lanmote to make it work with the newest android version?

There is nothing wrong with the driver itself.  LANmote doesn't support any Android version above 5.  At this stage there is no other alternative for newer android versions.  If you find any let me know.

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, eded9698 said:

How do I use the license that I purchased through Houselogix now that you have switched?  Where can I download the driver that will work?  Thanks

All Houselogix licences have been migrated to driverCentral.  Your dealer can upgrade your driver to the driverCentral version by downloading the driver off of the driverCentral website.  If you do not have a driverCentral cloud driver installed then your dealer will need to install this and also link it to the licence.

It is also important to note that the Houselogix driver will continue to work so if you have it installed already no action is required.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I am the person behind LANmote. Just want to let everyone know that I have publicly released version 1.6 for LANmote today and it should work with Android 6.x and 7.x now. Actually, it has been made available for a number of days under closed beta and open beta test but hardly anyone actually downloaded, test or provide any comment on it. (Where is everyone when I need your input to satisfy your needs?)

Sorry for the long delay in update, the original developer left and it is difficult to find someone capable of taking over development of the app, especially when you consider the fact that LANmote had been making losses and it does not making enough money to pay for all the development work needed. Unlike the chowmain driver here that cost you $US130, our app's retail price is only about US$4. Plus, there are plenty of people distributing paid version of the app as well as cracked version of the paid app. As a consumer, I know you don't care but that is what you are most likely to get when the developer can't pay their expenses to support the app.

Currently, based on backend Flurry and Play store crash reports, there appears to be problem with Android 8.x. I would need help from users with rooted Android 8.x to provide logs to help us fix the problem and test if changes we made actually fixes it.

There will be new features coming in upcoming version when we get around to implement it. Please post in our support forum if you have specific request/suggestion on LANmote. I do listen to feedback but it may take a while to actually implement it due to financial/time difficulties.

Alanchow: is there any missing features on LANmote that would help with your C4 driver? 

Thanks

Eric

Archived