C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Android Driver for Control4

alanchow

34 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

And whose fault is it did you didn't charge a sustainable price to maintain your product?

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Eh, that's water under the bridge anyway. Never easy to put on a price that is low enough to sell but high enough to profit.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Eh, that's water under the bridge anyway. Never easy to put on a price that is low enough to sell but high enough to profit.

that's just what jumped out to me in the post.  Seemed like he was upset that Alan was selling a more expensive product that requires a cheap license from his product to work

15 hours ago, Cyknight said:

You're missing the point that the Chowmain driver was leveraging LANmote - the cost would still stand.

What you said is more or less what I meant. The Chowmain driver is useless if LANmote does not work, so in a way, it is making a profit out of LANmote, a profit that is out of proportion of LANmote's $4 selling price.

On the other hand, LANmote is a standalone product and does not need Chowmain driver to be useful.

Regardless, Alan Chow have contacted me directly and I will work with him to introduce features that would benefit the C4 integration driver.

15 hours ago, msgreenf said:

And whose fault is it did you didn't charge a sustainable price to maintain your product? 

Well, price/revenue was not the only issue I had though. My pricing strategy was to be in par with Droidmote, our direct competitor who obviously have a larger market share, so consumer would consider LANmote instead of Droidmote. It is difficult to know what user do with my app until LANmote started not to work with this C4 driver integration and users started contacting me 1-2 years ago. Those who contacted me didn't really explain very well what they meant by C4 integration either. Otherwise, I won't even be posting here.

Anyway, I had doubled the price of LANmote on Play Store, but it is on 50% discount for the next 6 days or so. So, if LANmote works for you, you might want to buy a copy before the price increases.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:00 PM, Eric Wong said:

What you said is more or less what I meant. The Chowmain driver is useless if LANmote does not work, so in a way, it is making a profit out of LANmote, a profit that is out of proportion of LANmote's $4 selling price.

On the other hand, LANmote is a standalone product and does not need Chowmain driver to be useful.

Regardless, Alan Chow have contacted me directly and I will work with him to introduce features that would benefit the C4 integration driver.

Well, price/revenue was not the only issue I had though. My pricing strategy was to be in par with Droidmote, our direct competitor who obviously have a larger market share, so consumer would consider LANmote instead of Droidmote. It is difficult to know what user do with my app until LANmote started not to work with this C4 driver integration and users started contacting me 1-2 years ago. Those who contacted me didn't really explain very well what they meant by C4 integration either. Otherwise, I won't even be posting here.

Anyway, I had doubled the price of LANmote on Play Store, but it is on 50% discount for the next 6 days or so. So, if LANmote works for you, you might want to buy a copy before the price increases.

Eric i have emailed you in private to keep most of this out of public view but i will however correct some misconceptions.

Driver development is niche.  I am not sure how much your time is worth however given the market cap for control systems is vastly smaller than the market cap for normal android / ios development we have to set a price point where we can still profit (or at least break even) with the sale a minimum of 100 to 150 licences.

This usually takes anywhere between 1 to 2 years on average depending on the product.

As discussed there is a market cap of around 8000 Control4 systems deployed every month.  This is a perfect scenario if everyone were to purchase licences which they will never do.

Currently the main solution for control over android boxes is by a manufacturer called Videostorm called the IRUSB.  This device utilises USB-HID to inject keypresses without requiring root access (you just buy the hardware, install the app from Google playstore or amazon's store and off you go).

Anyway i hope that clears things up.  This product/driver has been dead for some time now (since Android 4) so it will be nice to resurrect the driver to give our customers some choice.

On 9/14/2018 at 10:19 AM, alanchow said:

Eric i have emailed you in private to keep most of this out of public view but i will however correct some misconceptions.

Driver development is niche.  I am not sure how much your time is worth however given the market cap for control systems is vastly smaller than the market cap for normal android / ios development we have to set a price point where we can still profit (or at least break even) with the sale a minimum of 100 to 150 licences.

This usually takes anywhere between 1 to 2 years on average depending on the product.

As discussed there is a market cap of around 8000 Control4 systems deployed every month.  This is a perfect scenario if everyone were to purchase licences which they will never do.

Currently the main solution for control over android boxes is by a manufacturer called Videostorm called the IRUSB.  This device utilises USB-HID to inject keypresses without requiring root access (you just buy the hardware, install the app from Google playstore or amazon's store and off you go).

Anyway i hope that clears things up.  This product/driver has been dead for some time now (since Android 4) so it will be nice to resurrect the driver to give our customers some choice.

Hi Alan,

Given the fact that this C4 driver was dead. I would assume the market cap for Control4 system was a lot smaller a few years back then and the pricing for your driver may need a revision given the market have changed since?

I know driver development work is niche and expensive. I have had developer working on low level things before. Though I don't know how much work this driver required.

Btw, I believe everyone should have saw the news that Nvidia have released their own app for Keyboard/Mouse remote control recently for Nvidia Shield. I wonder if there is a good reason someone would want to pay good money for this driver + LANmote for a remote keyboard/mouse solution when Nvidia is providing it for free.... or maybe you would try to adapt your driver to work with Nvidia's remote KB/mouse app too?

Archived