C4 Forums | Control4

JAP "shared gigabit LAN"

wappinghigh

I quote from JAP's website..."With HD/IP you can use 1 CATx cable to a TV zone to deliver the Just Add Power HDMI over IP solution and Gigabit speed Internet Services to the television monitor. Other distributed video solutions like HDBT only support 100BaseT network speeds to the TV zone. Just add a simple Desktop Gigabit switch in the zone and configure the network according to Just Add Power's Layer-3 Drivers and best practices techniques"

Dumb Q/ maybe but Does this mean *any* shared gigabit ethernet? 

So that JAP shared ethernet port on the JAP VBS-HDMI-218A receiver appears for all intense and purposes just like a normal ethernet port on any network switch?

I could use it not only for Internet TV but I could hook up a Dune or Oppo via ethernet to that port? A computer?.. A C4 controller? Even daisy chain another Cisco network switch?? 

How about the new Leaf's with ethernet?? or the other HDBT solutions mentioned.. Same deal??

Not quite - look at this functionality as it being another device to connect to a switch - it doesn' pass through networking like HDBaseT does, it's ON the same network - ie the line to your TV can be connected to a network switch, and your TV, AND to the JAP unit.

Using JAP this way (in Control4) requires you use JAP's own driver for control (nothing wrong with that driver mind you) vs using for example a Blackwire setup.

The true downside of the method is that you're dropping your video distribution on your existing networking - ie you increase the load on your exisiting infrastructure.

HDBaseT distribution of networking remains isolated (you add a network cable from your existing switch into the 'transmitter side - one for EACH recevier you use)

Ok So HDBaseT then is clearly cleaner and less load on the network.. Thanks! 

IF you want that cable to do both your video distribution AND networking - then yes. This is why Blackwire's JAP setup/driver is often preferable over JAP's own driver.

(You may think why am I asking all this?) well it's because there are rooms in the new house that are difficult and costly to run more cable: but already have one cat5 port installed. So if I save on costly cable pull and share the HDMI and ethernet on one cable: I can spend on other gear :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(You may think why am I asking all this?) well it's because there are rooms in the new house that are difficult and costly to run more cable: but already have one cat5 port installed. So if I save on costly cable pull and share the HDMI and ethernet on one cable: I can spend on other gear :)

But if you are trying to do it all with one cable you're increasing complexity and cost, so you might wish you pulled wire.  I don't know how bad your pulls would be though.

HDBaseT should solve that problem too though, is there a reason it won't?  Not every room has to have gigabit...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Planet GSD-503 switch works great

Also you can use the IPOE-E174 It has a POE input and 4 ports POE out. 

the SG-300 series would allow it to power 2 POE devices. IE the JAP Receiver as well as an HC250 via POE 

Archived