C4 Forums | Control4

Programming a custom Zone button help needed

dcovach

Is it possible to program a custom button or a physical button to turn on or add another media Zone without using a remote, touch screen, or any navigator that requires going through several steps? I've tried playing around with media scenes and custom buttons but with no success. 

But it cannot be programmed to find what ever room is playing. it has to be xxx please join yyy

Unless you feel up for a week's worth of 10 hour day programming, and another week or two of testing and tweaking, and even then you'd be limited to a set order of preference, unless you want to go into additional multi-tap programming, each tap being as much work as the last to do.....

That's what I'm after. How did you program that?

On button press:

IF room a is in a session {you find this be selecting "Digital Media" under actions and going to conditionals - usually found in the room your controller is in}

-Add rooms room b,c (etc) to room a session {Commands tab of same "Digital Media"

-stop

Set CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE room b to the value of room a CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE {you find this part by going to room b, break out the "room variables" + sign}

<repeat that last line for every room you want to have join>

That should cover both streaming (controller) media and other sources.

On button press:

IF room a is in a session {you find this be selecting "Digital Media" under actions and going to conditionals - usually found in the room your controller is in}

-Add rooms room b,c (etc) to room a session {Commands tab of same "Digital Media"

-stop

Set CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE room b to the value of room a CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE {you find this part by going to room b, break out the "room variables" + sign}

Impressive. It would have taken me more than a week to figure anything out that resembles even some of this. I'll give it a try. Much appreciated

First let me know if you are talking digital music, or hard source like cd player or satellite player

Digital and one analog. The analog is a cable tv box that has multiple audio outputs. It also has music stations. Its connected to an amp as well as the "audio in" on my hc250. I can stream that audio digitally to other zones and continue to watch the same channel in my theatre room. Its cheap option to listen in on sports, music, etc in other rooms simultaneously.

On button press:

-stop

Thanks for that but it doesn't seem to work for one situation. I have a cable box connected my amp (the amp is the audio end point of the room). That same cable box has 2 audio outs that will work simultaneously. The other audio out of the cable box is connected to audio in of controller. When I use the C4 remote or touch screen to add another zone, it works. The media from the cable box plays in the zone I added.

It doesn't play in any zones with the programming above. I don't think this kind of media is considered digital media? But the media is playing through the audio in of the controller so I don't understand how control4 does its programing to make it play in another zone.

? So you have one out of a cable box going into the "in" of a controller?

So it's playing at a few seconds delay from the 'main' zone?

If this is done way (instead of creating a separate virtual box for audio only purposes) than I can see that setup messing with the programming.

Try this alteration, quite a bit more lines but may work better for you:

IF room a is on

-IF room a current selected device is NOT digital media {go to the room -> current selected device, conditional tab : Is !=[room with digital media driver->digital media]

--Set CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE room b to the value of room a CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE {you find this part by going to room b, break out the "room variables" + sign - Note the DOUBLE indenture here of 2 IF statements}

--<repeat that last line for every room you want to have join>

--stop {this stop is important or odd things can start occuring, it's under programming control}

? So you have one out of a cable box going into the "in" of a controller?

So it's playing at a few seconds delay from the 'main' zone?

If this is done way (instead of creating a separate virtual box for audio only purposes) than I can see that setup messing with the programming.

Try this alteration, quite a bit more lines but may work better for you:

IF room a is on

-IF room a current selected device is NOT digital media {go to the room -> current selected device, conditional tab : Is !=[room with digital media driver->digital media]

--Set CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE room b to the value of room a CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE {you find this part by going to room b, break out the "room variables" + sign - Note the DOUBLE indenture here of 2 IF statements}

--<repeat that last line for every room you want to have join>

--stop {this stop is important or odd things can start occuring, it's under programming control}

That works perfectly. This will come in handy.  Thanks!

Archived