C4 Forums | Control4

control4 audio matrix switch compatibility

vstar

Both older units work with the current software.

The difference is:

-Design of case

-Better quality build interior and exterior

The latter includes more reliable powersupply, the weak spot of the V1's.

User end-wise only the new V3 is truly different - mainly in that it handles volume control in 100 steps vs 25 steps.

The C4 audio matrix is a good piece I love mine but I'd buy something else if I was going it again. I think it was a mistake not adding in digital in/out to the new matrix. Something similar to the AVocation audio matrix would have been the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is analog a problem?. In any case it allows you to use better DAC devices in the source.. this is a POSITIVE... though I guess you've gotta go A>D>A right?

If you want to distribute digital audio direct why double up on this using an HDMI matrix? Some things like the new Rocki streamer V2 will have HDMI out anyway.. 

Wap: So I have HDMI out of my AppleTV and I send that to my AVR. Great, awesome, however I'd also like to distribute the audio to all of my other zones of which most are feed by a multi-zone amp. So how do I get the audio to all those other places with HDMI?

Maybe I could send it out of the AVR via its zone 2? Nope most AVR's will not send digital audio to zone 2. Hmmm.

I could use the digital out from the ATV, run it into an inline DAC then to my matrix. Not very clean and what if I have multiple digital signals I need to distribute, the. I've got a bunch of DAC's hanging in my rack.

What if I had a audio matrix that did analog and digital with full conversion in both directions? This also effectively would give me a larger matrix and would be a great problem solver.

Also the ATV is the only feat that doesn't have an analog out.

The problem with most digital audio matrices is they do not usually down convert dolby digital and will only accept a PCM source, which is 2 channel.

If you want to watch movies in surround on your appletv and have the digital output work for secondary zones you will have to set the appletv to pcm.

Wap: So I have HDMI out of my AppleTV and I send that to my AVR. Great, awesome, however I'd also like to distribute the audio to all of my other zones of which most are feed by a multi-zone amp. So how do I get the audio to all those other places with HDMI?

Maybe I could send it out of the AVR via its zone 2? Nope most AVR's will not send digital audio to zone 2. Hmmm.

I could use the digital out from the ATV, run it into an inline DAC then to my matrix. Not very clean and what if I have multiple digital signals I need to distribute, the. I've got a bunch of DAC's hanging in my rack.

What if I had a audio matrix that did analog and digital with full conversion in both directions? This also effectively would give me a larger matrix and would be a great problem solver.

Also the ATV is the only feat that doesn't have an analog out.

Sure fair enough.

I just like keep HDMI for video and pretty much stream audio now via the net: so I don't need HDMI for that... I'm not saying HDMI is great for audio (it's not) but if you want to extract audio from an HDMI source .. which is basically what an ATV is..and distribute around a matrix:  there are other ways than using digital coax/toslink That's all I'm saying... 

So I'm with C4 here LOL!!!

I reckon Audio is best kept separate: use better individual DACS (to your liking) and distribute and switch analog... 

But I'm talking stereo Audio here..

Other wise you are going D<>A<>D<>A too much in the matrix all the time which I prefer not to do because I like my audio as less "converted" as possible.

The less conversion steps the better..

Just my preference. Cheers. 

Archived