C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for a new NAS - is QNAP really needed?

eggzlot

My old ReadyNas NV+ is a bit long in the tooth.  I just did an Videostorm Netplay video install and I have access now to XBMC on all TV's so I wanted a better NAS to stream movies.

I was originally looking at QNAP because they have SDDP and easily can be added to a C4 environment.  But I have Sonos for music distribution and if I am using XBMC through VideoStorm, do I need my NAS "in" my C4 environment?

I was looking at the TS-451 which I can get for $350 if I order by end of day today, so that is a good price.  But wondering if I should look at Synology and other offerings and not limit myself to QNAP due to its C4 integration.

Thoughts?

That is what I thought.  I know QNAP in general outside of C4's world are highly recommended, but limiting when I could look at other models too.

Any min specs you would recommend?  i3 processor or quad core really needed or dual core Celeron enough?  I'll email Videostorm to inquire as well.

Just stay away from ARM or Marvell based NAS units. Pretty much anything with intel processors is going to perform well. I have an old ReadyNas Ultra6 and it still works great.  Doesn't have some of the fancy new features of other NAS drives, but it does what i need it to do (Securely store media/photos for distribution around the house). 

I have the much less powerful 212 and that streams anything you throw at it.

An BD backup to a PopBox V8 would be the highest bandwidth I threw at it.

Transcoding is needed wherr the source is not understood Or too big to be sent to the destination. Eg using Plex mobile to stream from your network yo your phone over 3g. Videostorm is doing your transcoding.

That is what I thought.  I know QNAP in general outside of C4's world are highly recommended, but limiting when I could look at other models too.

Any min specs you would recommend?  i3 processor or quad core really needed or dual core Celeron enough?  I'll email Videostorm to inquire as well.

Yes.make no mistake - I'm not saying QNAP would be a bad choice in any way, but that wasn't the question.

As stated, look for something using intel at this point in time, others may work, but Intel is the safe choice for reliability at this point.

I'm not familiar enough with the Netplay video stuff to make a well informed recommendation, but asking them is a good step - also check their forums - no need to reinvent the wheel.

Processor wise as such, I can't speak for what you need - it's a big difference if you want the ability to stream 1 movie from it, or 5 though I doubt a full PC spec processor is anything you'd ever need in any residential setup.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Very helpful.  I am using this to stream 1 source at a time, household of 2 and usually watching stuff together (or just one of us watching).   Most models I am looking at are either Celeron or Atom based, I hear pros and cons to both.  But looking to stream a movie or a music file and then standard Mac/Windows computer backups.  All very simple stuff.

One other question, if I got a QNAP or Synology, would they easy back up to my older ReadyNas?  I still have the older box, may as well be a backup for the main box in case of failure.  Through rsync or something can you do a backup so only changes on the new box go to the old box once a week or something?

I saw some higher level QNAP, Thecus, etc that are running i3 processors like a full PC so that made me wonder.  But those were also 2-4x the cost.

VS does not have a forum, they have a link on their website but it takes you to a facebook page (I am still not yet on facebook). 

QNAP TS-451 sale ends tonight; I am kind of torn but may wait since I do not "need" this now and want to make sure I make the right purchase.  If I go that model route I can wait for the price to dip again.

Thanks

I see QNAP supports Lilin and Foscam, two cameras I use.  I have a Lilin NVR, may be expendable if I get the QNAP and use their Surveillance station.  Anyone have experience there?  If I got the TS-451 I'd have to buy two licenses but they aren't that expensive.  And I like that my camera video would be part of my RAID backup, not just a 1 Drive solution sitting in the NVR.

Archived