C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos across multiple controllers?

jreinardy

Hi,

I am new to Control 4, just getting my first system set up. So far, I have 2 HC250s each controlling Samsung flat panel TV's and dedicated AV receivers. There is also a 4 zone matrix amp feeding speakers throughout the rest of the first floor. All the hardware is on 2.6 software.

I like the system, but it still has a few holes. One is distribution of my personal music share. To play songs from my Windows PC where my MP3 files are located, the dealer recommended a Sonos Connect. I researched it and liked what it brought in terms of music services in addition to my share, so I agreed. They installed it today, but were unable to distribute the Sonos feed from the main HC250 to the other one upstairs. They said the quality of the music was very poor due to a known issue with Sonos, but that other analog sources would work fine. This makes no sense to me, analog should be analog, correct?

Anyway, comments on what the dealer is telling me or suggestions on a cost effective way to provide access to my music share in the master bedroom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

?!?!

There is more to analogue then just analogue, but you can certainly feed a Sonos Connect into a controller, then stream it across the house to any number of other controllers.

It would mean there's a delay that occurs between what you hear and what the Sonos is outputting (and thus some of the metadata feedback and transport commands) - but as such it works perfectly fine - I'm listening to that exact sort of setup right now.

They said the quality of the music was very poor due to a known issue with Sonos

Say what now?

Hi,

I am new to Control 4, just getting my first system set up. So far, I have 2 HC250s each controlling Samsung flat panel TV's and dedicated AV receivers. There is also a 4 zone matrix amp feeding speakers throughout the rest of the first floor. All the hardware is on 2.6 software.

Jim

Jim. I'm also rolling out a Sonos <> C4 Matrix setup. Having not connected Sonos via a Matrix before.

As far as I understand your Q/ Do you have speaker wire in the bedroom>?? Why not run the Sonos Connect into the 4 Zone matrix amp and distribute the Sonos source out the 4 zones that way? Include the bedroom as one of the Matrix zones? Or if you can't get speaker wire into the bedroom maybe RCA over cat5?? > Into an analog signal auto sensing power amp (like a Rotel) in the bedroom ... or powered speakers. Might have to double up the rca out from the Sonos connect though. Then use the free Sonos EV driver. Am I making any sense? Wap. 

Thanks for the replies. Cyknight, your reply makes me think they were just in a hurry and didn't want to take the time to figure it out. While I appreciate Wap's suggestions for alternate hookups, my best solution would be to get controller to controller streaming to work since I have further plans to add more zones in the future. I also don't have wire going directly between the rooms, and my 4 zones on the amp are already in use.

Is setting up the streaming something I can do in HE, or do I need to find a more creative installer? Thanks again for all the advice!

Jim

?!?!

There is more to analogue then just analogue, but you can certainly feed a Sonos Connect into a controller, then stream it across the house to any number of other controllers.

It would mean there's a delay that occurs between what you hear and what the Sonos is outputting (and thus some of the metadata feedback and transport commands) - but as such it works perfectly fine - I'm listening to that exact sort of setup right now.

Say what now?

It unfortunately would require a dealer to make the changes in programming - though it doesn't take much, and someone like Neil on these forums should be fine setting it up remotely for you if you can wire for it.

Running the Sonos DRIVER on a 250 is, according to EV's original specs, supposed to be limited to smaller systems. While adding digitizing audio to the system will put some additional load onto things it isn't that major and you'll likely be just fine (mind you I have limited info here).

Yes I run an HC800 - want to know what my Sonos is fed into? It's a speakerpoint! So the digitizing as such really doesn't take much.

The ONLY 'issue' I'm aware of with Sonos (or the driver) is that if you feed multiple Sonos units into an audio matrix, it doesn't handle multiple streams as nicely as it should - that has no bearing on what you're suggesting though.

Other than remembering that one Sonos still means no more than one stream at a time (though you can lsten to it from both locations), there really isn't much to this...

Archived