C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos and other "zones" outside a C4 Matrix

wappinghigh

Ok. So I've got myself a 16x16 C4 analog matrix.

I'm real happy about that decision. Because of the flexibility it gives me with multiroom "in sync" playback of non Sonos sources. 

I can get speaker wire and/or analog RCA signals to pretty much all of the zones. But there will be a few rooms left out:

Where wireless is pretty much the only option.

Couple Sonos ZP's can go in there of course (being wireless). So can the Noc Spotify/Airlplay speakers.

Does Composer Pro have the capability of "grouping" all these non matrix attached zones in software playback somehow with the matirx??

How does the sonos EV driver handle a Sonos setup with a mixture of matrix attached Sonos ZP's and Sonos connects unattached to the matrix?

What is the best way to bring outlier non direct matrix attached zones together with the matrix? Is there a way>?

Or should I go wireless speaker signals from the matrix (or even wireless rca) to those areas??

I hope these questions make sense to a guru out there! 

Thanks again

Rock on c4

If you want those 'wireless zones' to do sound as available within the Sonos units - using sonos units there is not a problem, yes the driver can handle those as zones - that part is user transparent - you'd simply set the Sonos portion up as you normally would for a 'house' system etc, not as induvidual little 'systems'. That part isn't much of an issue - though exactly HOW synched those zones will be depends on how well Sonos synchs - I'm not sure from personal experience on that across large numbers of zones - but I would expect it to be minimal.

If you want OTHER sources from the Matrix to be sent out, that becomes a different ball-game. For starters there's synching issues when tranmitting wirelessly - regardless of what method you use - for sure.

Second, setup, programming and possibly use starts becoming something of a nightmare.

Now, a 'simple' linelevel wireless transmitter may be the best option - this was always a possibility with C4 speakerpoints, I'm not sure that would pan out with Sonos however, indeed if it even does it may make a mess of the Sonos setup itself (feeding sonos into sonos essentially). Though any amps you can control volume on would do the trick at that point.

No problem CY thanks so much for the idea re "simple line level transmitter"..

For any wireless only zones I think I'll try these from the rca outputs of the matrix:

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_loudspeaker_systems/xeo/xeo.php

or these

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Wireless/W3-Wireless-Audio-Adapter

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems

Apols: but I just wanted to run this idea/concept past a second set of eyes.

Awesome help as usual 

Regards :)

I am not sure I 100% understand your question.  I have 1 Sonos Connect (ZonePlayer) in my C4 matrix which supplies a stream to my C4 4 channel amp (of which 3 channels are being used).  I have another Connect/ZP hooked directly into an AVR which is in my living room providing a feed to that room.  I have 1 Play 1 and 2 Play 3s around the house.  100% of my audio streaming is Sonos Streaming Services or my own iTunes collection.  They are all in sync.

When I tried to put both ZP in the matrix, the room/source with the AVR was delayed.  That is why we moved one of the connects into that room locally.

All seems good now.

When I tried to put both ZP in the matrix, the room/source with the AVR was delayed.  That is why we moved one of the connects into that room locally.

All seems good now.

^That's exactly what I thought would be the issue... and what CY thought would happen. Thanks for confirming :)

Archived