C4 Forums | Control4

What should I do for security programming

brycebba

I recently acquired 10 nyce door sensors, some ceiling mount motion sensors and a security bridge. I would like to program this to function in some ways like a normal security system where I can incorporate chime events telling me that a door has opened or at night turn on an alarm mode that will play an audible alarm when window sensors or door sensors are tripped.

Im not sure if I can use a GE security panel with the nyce sensors to do that standard alarm stuff I mentioned or not. Maybe there is some other hardware I can use for it that you guys can think of. I can get my hands on any other card access or c4 gear if you can think of anything that would help.

ok  - so now you're hitting a sore spot. I'm an end user and do not have access to "Pro". I paid a dealer to install.

I do have an awesome dealer in Colorado.....  - I love C4!

The Concord 4 panel pins #4 and #6 connect to a small board that was installed by my dealer that converts to RS232. I paid about $100 for the little panel that converts to RS232 that then plugs into 800. I have pics if it helps...

Setup of a Concord4  (make sure you don't have the espress version) is fairly simple actually.

You get a Superbus2000 automation unit, wire it to the security panel, power it up  and make the serial (rs232) connection to the controller. Press auto scan.

Done.

Oh OK I will look into that. So with the end result, the integration will yield the ability to chime because I am faking the signal through the automation module when the zigbee door sensor event on the controller happens. Is that correct?

That's not what I said - I answered only the Concord integration sub-question ;)

Security panels do not accept alarm triggers through automation modules normally. To have the security chime go off on sensors in C4, you'd have to wire a relay to the panel, on the security side set that as a non-monitored sensor with chime, and trigger the relay any time those Nyce sensors go off. Wouldn't even need automation module.

• 2 weeks later...

So the vendor I went through didn't ever ship the Concord 4 so I canceled my order with them. I'm going to find a new place to order from but I wanted to know what is the model number I should be looking for since there seems to be many versions of the Concord 4.

• 2 weeks later...

I have composer pro so that should be ok. I bought a Concord 4 that comes with the extra touch pad so I should get that next week. What is RS232? So you have the nyce sensors that work with your Concord 4 and your 800?

So you are a dealer ......right !

What I'm getting at is what does one have to do to get Pro if not married to a Control4 employee,an employee or a dealer.

I guess the $50,000 + I spent on my system with no possibility of owning Pro is pissing me off a tad.

I am willing to accept the C4 business model, so well discussed on this forum, but something just stinks here. There are all kinds of people who seem to be rightful owners

of pro and they are not dealers.

Could someone, anyone please explain to me who other than dealers are entitled to Composer Pro and why the rest of us do not, and spare me the crap of too much

capabilities in the hands of the unwashed. I have seen too many questions on this forum from some who own pro that puts that one to rest.

I'm sure I am not the only one on this forum who feels this way. 

Ah I see what you mean. Here is my insight on that, pro is only given to dealers and others tied to a dealer account because it is a way to trap customers and force them to call the dealer, for a fee of course, to make any little change. It's the dealers way of making sure that they always have you in their pocket. Part of the employee thing is that they just throw the stuff at you but you get zero support or install help from the company. I am pretty tech savvy and am a developer by trade and I don't think it was horrible to learn and wasn't too advanced. The last time I looked at composer he just for fun, it was by appearance and functionality the same as pro up to the point of adding stuff or changing configuration which is where the dealer wants you to call them, more money in their pocket.

I love Control4 but I honestly think that dealers aren't necessary to a degree. I think they would have an incredible future doing consumer sales directly for the diy guy or through a dealer.

When I launch pro, every 3 weeks or so it forces me to reenter my "dealer" credentials and it authenticates my account every time I launch it.

That only answers part of the question, don't get me wrong I have nothing against those that do have pro, good for them.

I am well aware and accepting of the dealer role its just that it doesn't seem to apply to all Control4 owners.

Ahh enough said (same old same old)

Archived