C4 Forums | Control4

Media Servers

d.jakes

They're the way to go really, especially if you want this to be 'easy' ie little to no management required.

Other options are out there, and they work, possibly work well - but if you want 'drop-in-and-forget', they are hard to beat (unless you want to pay for a Kaleidascape setup).

Yep it's the management of the movie database (IF your intention is to select movies via the C4 interface vs using player interface - which is what I'm assuming you're used to coming from a Sony CX7000ES), combined with the drop in and forget method, that makes DD such a good option - other players, and many NAS drives do great - and may be a better solution if you want to meticulously manage and rip all the movies yourself. If you don't though ...

Just to show my ignorance, what "management" do people like to do that the MyMovies Collection Management doesn't already do for you? It rips, grabs meta data and adds it all to you library all without even hitting a button (at least in my case). Am I missing something fun that I should be doing?

It's great but the my movies people locked down the api this year so you need a version sold by a authorised reseller on authorised hardware to make this still work.

It's great but the my movies people locked down the api this year so you need a version sold by a authorised reseller on authorised hardware to make this still work.

And for me personally - it's not good enough, missing too many movies still (eclectic taste).

On top of that I'm very picky in my choice of Genres (either I disagree with the ones they set, I dislike having multiple genres on a movie), I don't want TOO many Genres and with 2500+ movies I really ONLY use Genres to select my movies - so VERY impoirtant indeed.- and if I'm manually managing that I might as well manage it all myself.

Archived