C4 Forums | Control4

Radiant Floor Heat

Jaffacree

I am doing a kitchen remodel and I am looking to place a few radiant floor heat mats underneath the tile.  All of the posts on floor heat in this forum are quite vague on the integration of floor heat into control4.  Is it possible to do it?  Anybody had any luck with certain brands?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Yes, I had success with mine.  But, I chose a decidedly simple approach.  After reading reviews/posts, I decided I didn't care as much about C4-based temp readout/control.  I just wanted on/off control - turn the heaters off when in "vacation mode", otherwise they're on (especially since they a while to heat up).  I went with a manual stat (SunStat Non-Programmable from Home Depot) attached to a C4 switch.

Pro's:

• No possible issues if power is lost.  Stat always comes back to my set temp (I tweaked the manual temp setting for the first week and haven't had the need to change it since).  However, some electronic stats do spec that they recover from power failures gracefully.
  • No drivers.

Con's:

• No C4 temp display/control.  Not sexy like a normal HA solution should be.
  • Heater shows up in my "Lighting" section, not "Comfort".

So, when you enter vacation mode, the power to the unit is shut off, cutting power to the thermostat.  All of the settings are still there when you power the unit back on when you come back from vacation mode?  During the day, I imagine when the heat isnt required, the power is also off to the thermostat?

Yes, I use the switch to just cut power to the stat.  I was a little unsure of how good of an idea that was - cycling power to the stat too much just seemed weird.  But I did it that way anyway and, at least with the stat I used, it works great.  When power resumes, the stat waits a sec and cycles on and since the temp is set with a manual dial, it just resumes operating normally.  And since I only turn the stat off rarely, I feel pretty good that I'm not abusing the stat (although I have no reason to think that it would ever care much about getting power cycled to it).

My experience with floor heaters so far is that I like them on all the time.  Even during the day, it feels nice - and if it's a warm winter day, the heater element isn't on much anyway.  I was planning on experimenting with cycling the stat off at night and back on a few hours before wakeup time and maybe trying to find out if that saved enough energy $ to make it worth it. When summer rolls around, I think the same behavior will still make sense (but may just reduce the temp a little) - we'll see.

Side question to anyone who may know, can you associate a C4 switch with Comfort rather than Lighting?  I have several exhaust vents, hot water pumps, heat lamps, and floor heaters on switches and it's a little weird for them to show up under my lighting loads.  Of course, I'm not what I would expect them to look like, or do, under Comfort - maybe just hide them from Lighting?  I asked my dealer and he wasn't sure yet - he's checking in to it...

Aube make a line voltage thermostat with dry contacts that you can wire to your controller or a CA relay. You can control the heat directly through the Aube stat and turn off/on with C4.

or

Aube also makes an electric heating relay that can connect to a C4 stat.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I am going to go the manual stat with the C4 switch route.  Seems to be pretty easy to implement.  Although it wont be as sexy as i would like it to be!!

But what voltage is running to your manual stats?

Yeah.  I am just going to wire a switch into the power and then run power from the switch to the stat.  Thus making the stat operate on a switch.  Manual stat so I wont lose any settings when I run my schedule and turn off power to the stat

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at the Software Thermostat on Houselogix, it can turn a C4 system into a fully working HVAC control system. It will use any temperature sensor as source and control any devices by Set Point, relay, switch, contact, it's all supported. Your C4 touch screen or mobile app will serve as the thermostat Interface and you'll get full control over your radiant floor.

Archived