C4 Forums | Control4

House/System structure

str1der

Do most people on here divide their project into floors or do you leave it flat with just the individual rooms? Is there really an advantage having seperate floors? I guess you could do scenes based on floors. I have different floors in mine but so far the only thing it's done for me is give me some extra screen presses to change rooms. If I decide to flatten my structure can I simply drag and drop or will moving the various objects cause issues?

We have four "floors" - basement, first, second and exterior. I actually find that it's quicker to go up to the floor level and back down then to scroll through many more rooms. There are an average of maybe 5 or 6 "rooms" on each floor since that includes things like bathrooms, laundry room, etc. Though not a large house in terms of bedrooms, etc, there are prob a total of 21 "rooms" in the project, so having to scroll top to bottom in such a list would be annoying.

On the other hand, I have been thinking about combining some of the rooms that are not audio zones into a more general bucket by floor. For example, right now we have 6 audio zones on our first floor, by room, but we also have rooms there called "MudRoom", "Foyer" and "Stairs", none of which have audio zones. For those, I think putting all the lights for those rooms in a room called "First Floor Lights" would make scrolling the list (not to mention adjusting lights) that much easier.

Ive always created projects with the floor layout and never had an issue navigating. Customers usually find it easier to navigate rooms as they already know which part of the house they are located in, and clicking on "up floor level" is not really an issue.

Only issue I have is sometime Media Scenes dont always work from floor to floor for some reason. If I have audio playing on the main floor and join the "whole house", sometimes the basement will not join.

Archived