C4 Forums | Control4

Free Apple TV IP Driver

msgreenf

Control4 released yesterday a few Apple TV IP Driver. This is control4 supported and based on technology developed originally by EV. Driver is available in the driver database today.

I haven't tested yet, but plan to today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dealer advised "Really the only advantage in doing this is that it frees an IR port. Staying with IR makes sense to me as you can reset the Appletv and still have control over it. With IP control you would need to re-pair the appletv if you needed to reset it."

As it does need resetting periodically, I've left mine on IR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer advised "Really the only advantage in doing this is that it frees an IR port. Staying with IR makes sense to me as you can reset the Appletv and still have control over it. With IP control you would need to re-pair the appletv if you needed to reset it."

I was under the impression that in addition to freeing up an IR port, IP control was much faster than IR and allowed for possible 2 way communication (e.g. see on the Touch Screens whats playing on the ATV).  

I was under the impression that in addition to freeing up an IR port, IP control was much faster than IR and allowed for possible 2 way communication (e.g. see on the Touch Screens whats playing on the ATV).

This is a 1 way driver

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Factory reset? Really? I have only had to reboot not reset it.

That may be if you don't set a static ip for the Apple TV. If you set a static address it should pair - no?

No need to set a static to pair but it is recommended

It generally just needs resetting due to loss of IR control - one assumes this may not be needed for IP

Outline

The Apple TV driver enables IP control over any Version 1, 2 or 3 Apple TV. It provides all of the commands available on the Apple remote along with some additional commands.  It does not enable you to browse content from the Apple TV on a Control4 UI.

Additional Control Keys

Guide - will always jump to the Home page of the Apple TV

Menu - this will bring up the context sensitive menu

0-9 Keys - These will jump to a % point in the playback 1 will jump to 10%, 2 to 20% and so on.

Additional Functionality

The driver also provides some additional features which are selected on the Properties page.

Auto Power Rooms - this enables the driver to monitor the Apple TV and when content is playing will cause Control4 to switch on the room and select the Apple TV.  This is very useful if the customer Airplays content to the Apple TV.  With this feature their Control4 system will follow.

You can also have the driver monitor when playback stops or pauses.  You can select if Control4 should power off the room in this instance.  

There is also a property which determines what happens to the Apple TV when the customer turns off the room from Control4.  You can do nothing, stop or pause playback or jump to the Apple TV home screen.

The ‘Send HOME on Power On’ Property will help wake some Apple TVs from sleep mode.  If this is enabled then when the driver receives a Power On from Director the driver will send Home to the Apple TV.  This will wake the Apple TV and return to the home screen.

In my case I have glitches with IP control (wired network).  Pauses where I lose control and the cursor won't move.  YMMV, but I have IP control on DirecTV receivers in the same rack and don't have the pauses/lost control.  I've also controlled my Apple TVs with iOS and not had these issues.

I have another Apple TV in the theater to test with but would be interested if others see this.

Had it loaded in for me last night! Way faster!! Although all the Apple TVs are no longer just named "Apple TV". They are the name of the actual Apple TV("Living Room - Apple TV"). Going to have they changed back tonight as they are too long to display on the SR-250 screens. But definitely recommend upgrading to them.

Had it loaded in for me last night! Way faster!! Although all the Apple TVs are no longer just named "Apple TV". They are the name of the actual Apple TV("Living Room - Apple TV"). Going to have they changed back tonight as they are too long to display on the SR-250 screens. But definitely recommend upgrading to them.

That's intentional behavior.  I like that they do that since I have multiple Apple TVs.  Never a good idea to use long names if abbreviations will do on this stuff because something will end up biting you down the road... ;)

That's intentional behavior. I like that they do that since I have multiple Apple TVs. Never a good idea to use long names if abbreviations will do on this stuff because something will end up biting you down the road... ;)

Is there a way to turn that off? I really prefer just Apple TV since each TV has its own.

Archived