C4 Forums | Control4

Head scratcher with IR

Brianb

This one has stumped me.  Behind the TV is a WDTV Live(network), Zigbee to IR, Apple TV, and a 2x1 key digital switch that I created a driver for.  It all worked perfectly until I ran a wire to the HC-800, and hardwired the Apple TV, HDMI switch and TV into IR out 3. Nothing worked.  If I disconnect everything in connections and only add the apple tv and TV to IR out 3, they both work.  If I add the Key Digital HDMI switch to IR out 3, it doesn't work, and both the Apple tv and TV stop working.  After trying everything for hours I put the Zigbee to IR back in, and have the switch, apple tv, and TV emitters coming out of port 1, and it all works.  I would like to get it hard wired and eliminate the Zigbee to IR, so any thoughts????

If nothing else - 3 IRs on the same output is not recommended, both the Z2IR and controller outputs are rated for a max of two.

In addition, you cannot mix flashing and non flashing IRs together.

Either setup MIGHT work - but that's the best to be said for it.

What's odd is that you're saying if you change connections in COMPOSER it comes and goes?

Have you tried to use ONLY the keydigital, without the apple and tv connected in composer?

Running 3 heads off one port can be problematic depending on the heads/buds you're using. Additionally, you get voltage drop over distance so that is likely why the problem starts when you come from the controller.

Why run 3 IR buds off one output? I'd do it properly and run each their own. You can run 4 over a single cat cable without ever doubling them up.

I disconnected the emitters for the TV and apple TV, and only tried it with the HDMI switch to account for that possibility, and it still didn't work.  Also, why is it that just adding the HDMI switch in connections makes the other 2 drives inoperable?  I also just dont understand why that driver will only work through the ZIR and not directly out the 800

Archived