C4 Forums | Control4

Blinking LEDs

jbs

I know this can be programmed, but if you want to do it throughout the house there's HUGE processing overhead and considerable lag time. I'd like to see the capability to set not only the LED color on a switch/dimmer or keypad, but also whether it's solid, fast blink or slow blink.

I use the LEDs on my 60~70 switches as a convenient status indicator of my alarm system. They'd be even more useful if I could throw in blinking without having to program "set to red" "delay one second" "set to blue" "delay one second" "set to red" etc etc etc.

Yup, as I said . . .

I know this can be programmed, but if you want to do it throughout the house there's HUGE processing overhead and considerable lag time. . . They'd be even more useful if I could throw in blinking without having to program "set to red" "delay one second" "set to blue" "delay one second" "set to red" etc etc etc.

While in theory you could program this, in reality for a project with many switches it would be unlikely to work that well and it would bog down the rest of your system because you'd be firing off commands to each of the switches to change each of their LEDs every few milliseconds. Totally impractical I think.

Moreover, if you were to program this as a system-wide function, you'd probably want them synchronized so that the switches which were slow blinking all went on at the same time and off at the same time. You couldn't really do that with codes and delays, but you could do it through some sort of centralized blinking feature . . .

Yeah, blinking a whole set of LEDs would not be recommended, just due to the amount of Zigbee traffic required.

RyanE

Just to be clear, I think you're saying that a program-driven blinking LED would not be recommended, but not that having future versions of the switch/dimmer firmware support a blinking setting would necessarily be a problem, right?

and actually come to think of it, dimmers blink when they are in transition (either ramping up or down) so maybe it's already "in there".

But a multi-color blinking agent would be party-licious :D

--Jason

• 3 months later...

Archived