C4 Forums | Control4

HC250?

drmark12pa

I'm considering adding an HC250 into my system which is currently controlled by an HC800 as primary but I have an HC200 and 3 HC300s controlling different things/rooms as well (ie one HC300 is upstairs by my garage controlling a garage door and a TV in kitchen by IR emitter).  I haven't upgraded to 2.6 software in order to keep the onscreen display from the older controllers.  I'm considering adding an HC250 which will have the input from my Sirius internet radio instead of running through one of my HC300s.  My question is there any significant benefit to adding an additional (new) controller into my system and possibly then upgrade to the 2.6 software?

? The older HC series controllers can still be used for on-screen use in 2.6.

Unless you do not use audio in/out on any of the remaining controllers (and speakerpoints if you have them) - using the audio in on a 250 won't help you in any way. There's a better audio process in 2.6 and up, but enabling it 'kills' all audio in/outs on older controllers.

The HC250 WILL have a much FASTER onscreen than the older controllers, they also have better ZigBee range if you need it (could improve overall speed a little in some scenarios.

But honestly - I'm not sure you'd see much advantage in your setup as you described it by swapping one out - UNLESS you're swapping one where the on-screen sees heavy use (especially for large movie or music libraries, camera viewing).

With an 800 in place, it will not create any significant increase in overall responsiveness.

Cy,

I think what I was worried about was the killing off of the function of the older controllers.  Right now I do have audio by RCAs from a computer into an HC300 and also my Sirius internet stand alone radio into a different HC300 by RCAs. 

What is the better audio process in 2.6 or how does it differ/improve upon my current status? 

If I were to upgrade to 2.6, I wouldn't be able to use the HC300's as an audio input any longer?  Why did C4 do this?  That seems like a money move on their part...

Hmm, let me explain.

2.6 has an OPTION to use the new advanced audio process.

This is OFF by default (and goes through several warnings before activating).

This new process is considerably faster, especially when digitizing, so less delay on digitized sources, less delay on streaming services (TuneIn, Rhapsody) when starting etc. It ALSO is able to handle more CODEC options. Only the newest controllers (250/800) can handle this however so if active, being a SYSTEM setting, all other audio in/outs stop working (speakerpoint is not as cut and dry mind you).

But it's an OPTION - choose not to use this option and things will continue to work the same as before.

adding an hc250 just for the sake of streaming Sirius internet radio will not bet cost effective. however you said you have a computer feeding the audio in. Might want to look into adding a sonos connect to one of your controllers and adding a lot more than just Sirius to your music options.

I actually have more than enough music (transferred my 5000 CD collection to digital format long ago) and primarily use Sirius for the talk radio and such. 

Also, it looks like the HC250 lost serial RS232 control which I still need to control my Monoprice matrix.

Are there any major upgrades in 2.6 vs. the 2.5.3 I'm running that would make an upgrade worthwhile?

HC250 has serial its just a combo with ir port 1 and 2. You can continue using a legacy controller for IO needs if you decide to upgrade to the newer audio stream. but depending on how many controllers you have you may have to upgrade them all to take advantage of the new streaming method. Music navigation can be done from your mobile navigator and touch screens as well.

Archived