C4 Forums | Control4

Remote Support Upgrade to OS 2.7

Matt Lowe

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm new to C4. I have ipads and iphones, and they all auto-upgraded the app to 2.7. Now my devices all say i need a license. I read online that this means that i need an upgrade on the controller, which is at 2.6. Is this something i should expect to pay for? If not, how do i downgrade all my devices and prevent them from upgrading automatically for this one app? 

I bought a new house with a C4 system already installed. I can contact the dealer, but am a computer professional and home theater enthusiast, and not the typical customer who needs a lot of hand holding. 

I bought a new house with a C4 system already installed. I can contact the dealer, but am a computer professional and home theater enthusiast, and not the typical customer who needs a lot of hand holding. 

So am I, and it doesn't matter. You still need a dealer for your system.  I know you didn't buy this system yourself but it is not DIY.  You might try some of the many dealers here that offer remote services, including this upgrade.

The base problem here is the auto-update of iOS apps.  Its fine most of the time but for apps that talk to other devices you need to turn that off.

So am I, and it doesn't matter. You still need a dealer for your system.  I know you didn't buy this system yourself but it is not DIY.  You might try some of the many dealers here that offer remote services, including this upgrade.

The base problem here is the auto-update of iOS apps.  Its fine most of the time but for apps that talk to other devices you need to turn that off.

Sorry I should have elaborated. I fully understand that the C4 system is not DIY. I just want to be armed with all the factual information from neutral sources before contacting them. Ok, so they will be charging me for the upgrade. I'll get a cost and compare it with a remote service like I have seen advertised here. Is there any warranty issue with having upgrades done by a dealer that is not my installer? For example, if a remote upgrade bricks the controller (unlikely, I know), then I call my dealer for support, they probably won't help me. But would Control4 allow an exchange or provide support to resolve a problem in those types of circumstances?

Does anyone know the steps to prevent the app from auto updating on my iOS devices?

Sorry I should have elaborated. I fully understand that the C4 system is not DIY. I just want to be armed with all the factual information from neutral sources before contacting them. Ok, so they will be charging me for the upgrade. I'll get a cost and compare it with a remote service like I have seen advertised here. Is there any warranty issue with having upgrades done by a dealer that is not my installer? For example, if a remote upgrade bricks the controller (unlikely, I know), then I call my dealer for support, they probably won't help me. But would Control4 allow an exchange or provide support to resolve a problem in those types of circumstances?

Does anyone know the steps to prevent the app from auto updating on my iOS devices?

That's exactly why I'm surprised so many here report good service from remote dealers on rescue situations.  If it was me, I would be really scared about the types of messes I would be cleaning up.  However, I don't think it is as big of a risk for remote service as a dealer providing a truck roll.

You can set iOS to not update apps automatically--its a global setting.  That's only a feature since iOS 6 or so anyway.  Before that you had to update them manually.  Maybe there is a way to prevent individual apps from updating, I'm not sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Control4 is delighted to introduce OS 2.7.2 which includes support for the new Control4 T3 Series 7" Tabletop Touch Screen, improved broadcast call support on T3 touch screens, and various bug fixes reported for OS 2.7.0 and OS 2.7.1.

extending my offer to anyone who upgraded to 2.7 with me a free bump to 2.7.2

Archived