C4 Forums | Control4

Need Help - Dealer Owes Money

I recently purchased a place that had a Control4 system and needed some new equipment for the system that went out. The dealer I was using has been very hard to communicate with and couldn't finish the project and still owes me money for the equipment I paid up front. He has offered to refund me the total I initially paid him but its been two months of hassling him for my money and he still hasn't sent me my money back. 

How would any of you deal with this situation? Can Control4 step in and help since he is an Authorized Dealer?

Thanks!

How does he owe you money?  If you paid for the equipment does he owe you equipment that he hasnt installed/programmed yet?  Usually its the customer owing money, not the provider/dealer owing money.  Usually they owe programming services, hardware or something along those lines.  Do you have some invoices or summary of work to be provided that show what is owed and what is still missing?  Some dealers take credit cards - if you paid with a CC you can contact your company and file a claim?

Either way, if you are not happy, depending on the value of what is owed, you could look to go to small claims court (or if a bigger sum regular court) to try and recoup some of the money.  If you have a paper trail and its easy to prove, the major cost is your time and possibly some minimal legal/court fees.  You can file a complaint with C4 and you can also contact the BBB.  Not sure C4 will do much, especially if its 1 claim vs a dealer.  If its a systemic issue and they keep getting complaints about a dealer, I would hope they would take action. 

It would be like if you ordered Andersen windows from an authorized dealer and there was an issue with the dealer owing you something - would Andersen get involved?  You likely would have to file a claim in small claims court and fight it that way.

How does he owe you money?  If you paid for the equipment does he owe you equipment that he hasnt installed/programmed yet?  Usually its the customer owing money, not the provider/dealer owing money.  Usually they owe programming services, hardware or something along those lines.  Do you have some invoices or summary of work to be provided that show what is owed and what is still missing?  Some dealers take credit cards - if you paid with a CC you can contact your company and file a claim?

Either way, if you are not happy, depending on the value of what is owed, you could look to go to small claims court (or if a bigger sum regular court) to try and recoup some of the money.  If you have a paper trail and its easy to prove, the major cost is your time and possibly some minimal legal/court fees.  You can file a complaint with C4 and you can also contact the BBB.  Not sure C4 will do much, especially if its 1 claim vs a dealer.  If its a systemic issue and they keep getting complaints about a dealer, I would hope they would take action. 

It would be like if you ordered Andersen windows from an authorized dealer and there was an issue with the dealer owing you something - would Andersen get involved?  You likely would have to file a claim in small claims court and fight it that way.

I wrote a personal check in advance ($550) so he could put the order in for my equipment. There is a paper trail and I was just fronting the money for the order. He never delivered the equipment to me, nor installed it. He offered a refund for the full amount, but he has not mailed back or delivered my check. He always has some excuse/reason as to why he hasn't reimbursed me. Out of country, family matters, has new phone number, the list goes on. I understand things happen but I have been patient. Its been four months and haven't heard back from him in weeks after trying to contact through phone, email, texts. 

Probably will end up having to go the small claims court route and will try BBB and C4 as well. Just seeing if anyone has had an issue like me and how they went about it. 

You can try contacting c4 but I am not sure how helpful they will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll see what they can do or if they can try and contact my dealer for me since I am having trouble. Do you have a direct number for a helpful individual you know at C4 that you could PM me? Tried calling C4 yesterday and the general phones lines were down and the message said they were closed. 

Thanks for the replies!

If you wrote him a check as a deposit on hardware to order, and you do not have the hardware order, seems like it should be a quick open/shut case in small claims court.   A pain for sure, but at least it seems like logical recourse.

I personally have no contact at C4.  I too had an originally flaky installer and had issues.  I never contacted C4 about it, I just dealt with the headaches, got to a point where I felt comfortable enough with what he provided (though it was still lacking) and hooked up with another dealer.  Like most home improvement contractors, there are some good ones and some crooks out there.

If you wrote him a check as a deposit on hardware to order, and you do not have the hardware order, seems like it should be a quick open/shut case in small claims court.   A pain for sure, but at least it seems like logical recourse.

I personally have no contact at C4.  I too had an originally flaky installer and had issues.  I never contacted C4 about it, I just dealt with the headaches, got to a point where I felt comfortable enough with what he provided (though it was still lacking) and hooked up with another dealer.  Like most home improvement contractors, there are some good ones and some crooks out there.

Appreciate the advice, first time I have had to deal with a problem like this. Wasn't sure if C4 had any recourse or control over authorized dealers that they sponsor/list on their website. No fun when it continues to drag on, looking to take action now.

Control4 had/has a person dedicated to dealer/end user issues.  They can also hook you up with a "rescue" dealer to finish your project, but you are better off finding somebody here unless you need a truck roll to finish or likely will in the future.

I understand paying by check for labor, but reputable dealers should let you pay by credit card for equipment if they are going to require payment up front.  Then you've got some protection.

Control4 had/has a person dedicated to dealer/end user issues.  They can also hook you up with a "rescue" dealer to finish your project, but you are better off finding somebody here unless you need a truck roll to finish or likely will in the future.

I understand paying by check for labor, but reputable dealers should let you pay by credit card for equipment if they are going to require payment up front.  Then you've got some protection.

I got in touch with C4 and they helped me out by contacting my dealer on my behalf yesterday. Sure enough my dealer contacted me last night and is going to pay me back, I believe the call from C4 got his attention. Next step is finally collecting, but so far C4 has been very helpful with my situation. Thanks to all for the feedback and I'll keep you updated!

Archived