C4 Forums | Control4

Pool heater status not displaying correctly on Control4 app

I wanted to find out if this is a known issue or if anyone else has this problem? My controller is on 2.6 and I have Jandy/Zodiac iAqualink system with a combo pool/spa setup (one pump, one heater). The Control4 app (iOS) works perfectly for managing the Spa, but not for the Pool.  

The specific issue: when I use the Control4 app to turn on the Pool heater remotely, the Control4 app physically turns on the heater, but shows the heater as off within the Control4 app.  Further details follow: 

IN SPA MODE:

Everything works.  I can turn on/off the spa pump, turn on/off the heater, adjust the temperature, and receive the "glowing heat ring” with the current temperature. 

IN POOL MODE:
I can turn on/off the pump.  When I try to turn on/off the heater - I receive a pop-up option for “heater” or “solar”.   (I don’t have solar so that’s a redundant option/minor irritant).  When I select “heater”:
1) the heater physically turns on, BUT the toggle on the Control4 app doesn't change to the on/blue position.
2) the “glowing heat ring” on the Control4 app doesn’t display - even though the heater is physically on and the current temperature is displayed.
3) I’m not able to adjust the temperature on the Control4 app - but it does correctly display the target temperature.

Again, that means when I turn on the Pool heater remotely, the Control4 app show the heater is off - even though it has turned it on.  I then need to pull up the iAqualink app to double-check what the Control4 app has done.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have the same pool / spa setup. I decided to just use the Zodiac app to control my system and have been questioning my decision, not because their is anything wrong with the Zodiac app but I would have to push on less button to access the system on C4. I have had other problems with my C4 although at this point I feel a significant amount of my problems have been caused by inferior installation. After reading your post I am glad I made the decision that I did.

If you do not have the Zodiac app you should download it and you will be able to control your system until you figure out the problem you are having with C4. By the way you can also program in scenes with the Zodiac App and it works remotely.

I have a Pentair pool system, so my comment below may be meaningless for your system? On the Pentair system there is a 'Has Solar' tick box that needs to be unticked in Composer. If it was ticked, then I experienced your 3 problems. I seem to recall that this option defaulted to a greyed out tick (somewhere between ticked and not ticked) and when the default was not changed to a solid black tick or a blank empty box (which is what you want), I received the same pop up question 'heater or solar'. So I am recommending finding that check box and unticking it.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have the same pool / spa setup. I decided to just use the Zodiac app to control my system and have been questioning my decision, not because their is anything wrong with the Zodiac app but I would have to push on less button to access the system on C4. I have had other problems with my C4 although at this point I feel a significant amount of my problems have been caused by inferior installation. After reading your post I am glad I made the decision that I did.

If you do not have the Zodiac app you should download it and you will be able to control your system until you figure out the problem you are having with C4. By the way you can also program in scenes with the Zodiac App and it works remotely.

Thanks FLA.   I've been using the iAquallink app for the past year and found it kind of slow, ugly/dated and there's no iPad version.  But to your point, at least it works.   The Control4 pool interface seems faster and is really quite cool/slick - it's the primary reason I upgraded my system - but sadly, it doesn't work correctly.  

I have a Pentair pool system, so my comment below may be meaningless for your system? On the Pentair system there is a 'Has Solar' tick box that needs to be unticked in Composer. If it was ticked, then I experienced your 3 problems. I seem to recall that this option defaulted to a greyed out tick (somewhere between ticked and not ticked) and when the default was not changed to a solid black tick or a blank empty box (which is what you want), I received the same pop up question 'heater or solar'. So I am recommending finding that check box and unticking it.

Thanks very much for the tip - really hope it will be that easy!   I'll make a call...

Thanks FLA.   I've been using the iAquallink app for the past year and found it kind of slow, ugly/dated and there's no iPad version.  But to your point, at least it works.   The Control4 pool interface seems faster and is really quite cool/slick - it's the primary reason I upgraded my system - but sadly, it doesn't work correctly.  

I'm sure you will get it working. Keep us posted.

Following-up on South Africa C4 user's tip that solved the problems with his Pentair system,  the ability to untick "Has Solar Controls" is apparently not an option on the Jandy IP driver.  But, it is an option on the old Jandy and Pentair serial driver.  

So, I'm back to the problem where the Control4 App turns on my pool gas heater, but incorrectly reports it as off.   (It's a gas appliance, so it seems like that's something Control4 would want to investigate).  

Anyone else have luck with their pool control working correctly?

• 4 months later...

I've had the exact same issue on my system for the past year. I have talked to C4 support and the comment was "get with your dealer" but it's definitely an issue with the driver on C4 side. I am positive the issue is (as described above) that the Jandy driver does NOT have the "has solar" switch for pool mode and therefor the driver doesn't show when the heater is actually on like it does on spa mode. Apparently it's not a big enough issue for C4 to make this minor adjustment on the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived