C4 Forums | Control4

Unable to Connect/ IP (not Available)

Had a rain storm come through and knock out my electricity briefly and my C4 system never booted the same after.

When the touch panels turn on after being reset it has a blue screen with "ip: (not available)" and then finally boots to "Connecting. Press and Hold for Configuration" with the menu of Network, Director, and About"

Can't access on my iPhone either, says "Unable to Connect" "A license is required to connect this device to your system. Please contact your Control4 dealer to obtain a licence. (403.21)" - sidenote, my dealer is no longer a C4 dealer recently after going through hard times. Maybe since my system was reset for this first time in months this could be an issue?? 

I have reset all the routers/internet in the house, reset all the C4 equipment, and tried doing this multiple times over the past days while trying to search this forum for answers.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

post-136742-0-85149500-1431457103_thumb.post-136742-0-92615400-1431457105_thumb.post-136742-0-88018100-1431457106_thumb.

post-136742-0-77436600-1431457285_thumb.

Your dealer not being a dealer anymore won't harm anything.  A couple things.  When the power when out was it really brief?  I've seen C4 have issues when there is just a blip.  The processes within the controller running the project don't properly shut down so they don't restart properly.  unplugging the power to the controller for 30 seconds would fix that.  Sounds like you may have done that already.  Other than that it sounds network related.  Did the router somehow get defaulted?  If the subnet changed that could be causing an issue.

Your dealer not being a dealer anymore won't harm anything.  A couple things.  When the power when out was it really brief?  I've seen C4 have issues when there is just a blip.  The processes within the controller running the project don't properly shut down so they don't restart properly.  unplugging the power to the controller for 30 seconds would fix that.  Sounds like you may have done that already.  Other than that it sounds network related.  Did the router somehow get defaulted?  If the subnet changed that could be causing an issue.

Yes it was a blip, power was out for one second and was not a surge. Thanks for the advice avleadtech, honestly just noticed after all my troubleshooting I never reset the controller since it is by my TV, not in my closet with all the other C4 equipment. I have reset all of my other C4 boxes and routers except I have forgot the controller, sorry for overlooking that.

I will report back when I try unplugging it and resetting it tonight for 30 seconds, hopefully this does the trick!

Hi,

I had the same error message on any apple device (iphone and ipad) "Unable to Connect" "A license is required to connect this device to your system. Please contact your Control4 dealer to obtain a licence. (403.21)" but that occurred after the controller was updated to the new version 2.7.1.506055-res.

I had already download the new app ("red icon") since the old one ("grey icon") doesn't work anymore.

Any idea what caused that error and how to fix it?

Thanks!

post-136773-0-87004100-1431468640_thumb.

Hi,

I had the same error message on any apple device (iphone and ipad) "Unable to Connect" "A license is required to connect this device to your system. Please contact your Control4 dealer to obtain a licence. (403.21)" but that occurred after the controller was updated to the new version 2.7.1.506055-res.

I had already download the new app ("red icon") since the old one ("grey icon") doesn't work anymore.

Any idea what caused that error and how to fix it?

Thanks!

That could be caused by the controller running director changing IP address.  If you delete your system from the app and re-add that would fix it if that is indeed the problem.  If that is the problem get your controller set to static IP.

Avleadtech,

Unfortunately seems like a network related issue. I just reset my HC 800 controller and that did not help the problem. (The wifi light on the HC 800 is flashing blue, not sure if it always did that?) If its probably network related, how could I check to see if the router defaulted and changed the subnet to cause the issue?

Thanks!

If it was previously setup on static IP addresses, you can find out what that used to be from the front panel of your audio matrix/amp by pressing the network button and choosing "ethernet". if it says static, it will say maybe 192.168.1.1 or something like that. If your computer connected to the same network says something different, like 192.168.2.1, then either your router needs to be changed to match the Control4 network, or your Control4 network needs to be updated to match the router's network. Some of that can be accomplished with network resets on the Control4 devices, but if they were identified in Composer with static IP addresses (very likely), then you'll need a dealer to adjust that accordingly. If I were doing the service call I would start with trying to find out what the C4 gear was on, comparing that with what the router is handing out, and probably set all the c4 gear to DHCP with reservations as necessary on the router and making sure that everything is talking to one another again. And also by installing a UPS for your modem, router, and primary controller at the least.

but if they were identified in Composer with static IP addresses (very likely)

Dear me I do hope you're joking about the very likely part right? At best it would work incredibly unreliably - and there is ZERO need to enter the IP if a controller is on static.

It is also against ALL recommendation to identify ANY control4 piece using it's IP vs the normal UUID/SDDP options.

Dear me I do hope you're joking about the very likely part right? At best it would work incredibly unreliably - and there is ZERO need to enter the IP if a controller is on static.

It is also against ALL recommendation to identify ANY control4 piece using it's IP vs the normal UUID/SDDP options.

How can you tell how the devices were identified? All my devices have static IP addresses. I'm sure my dealer has done it right. I'd like to know how to check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can ID all kinds of stuff with IP addresses, as I'm sure you know. What makes you think that someone wouldn't ID with the IP address instead of UUID? And that all dealers follow all recommendations? I mean, based on what he's saying I can very easily see in his case where it might have been ID'd via IP address, and the IP address isn't valid anymore therefore the project isn't working as it should.......

You can ID all kinds of stuff with IP addresses, as I'm sure you know. What makes you think that someone wouldn't ID with the IP address instead of UUID? And that all dealers follow all recommendations? I mean, based on what he's saying I can very easily see in his case where it might have been ID'd via IP address, and the IP address isn't valid anymore therefore the project isn't working as it should.......

Any dealer identifying controllers by IP address vs standard procedures (and you have three options already that are far EASIER than using IP) should get a kick in the rear.

First techsupport call this is found out they'll get scolded. And rightfully so.

This is not about following 'recommendation' - it's going against very specific red flags. Basically it's a huge mistake to do it this way.

Plus nothing in what he said indicates THAT error was made - the unit might HAVE a static IP and the network changed, but that doesn't equal identifying the controller to IP address in any way. And it CERTAINLY isn't VERY LIKELY.

I have just added an Airport express to a Netgear D6300  to act as an AP at the far end of the house.

The unit seems to set up OK and when I am connected to the new Airport express ,I can use the Control4 app with no problems. But when I connect back to the Wifi router in the lounge I get (403.21) message come up if I then unplug the Airport Express and restart the router the problem goes away.

I have set the Airport express to static and checked the the gateway and DNS setting and they all seem ok.

Does anyone know a fix or work around? 

Archived