C4 Forums | Control4

Strange Xfinity X1 behavior - right button doesn't work

Steve Herrod

Hi!

Very strange one here. I've had two Comcast XFINITY X1 boxes (cable1 and cable2) working great in my Control4 system for the last 6 months. All of a sudden, one of the two X1 boxes no longer responds to the right arrow button on my c4 remote (or from my ios control4 app for that matter).

If I use the XFINITY remote for the cable1 X1 box, everything works fine 

If I change sources to the cable2 X1 box, the c4 remote works fine. 

It looks like the IR connector to the cable1 X1 box is fine... literally every other key works.

Rebooting the X1 and C4 boxes had no effect. Any possible guesses on what could be different in these two cases?

I appreciate any leads as I'm going crazy with this one!

Thanks!

Steve

Interesting.

I have the same exact behavior.  The system worked just fine following the 270 update.  It may have gone bad following one of the iPhone app updates, but I cannot say for sure.

Today, they updated me to 271 and that did not fix the issue.

My dealer suggested maybe a bad 250 remote but like above, the IR emitter on the X1 box seems to be triggering when the right arrow is pressed.  And, the right arrow works just fine in every other application, so the remote seems to be working just fine.

I am wondering if Comcast may have updated their IR commands or something.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ahh... another clue. i actually have two different boxes in the garage. It's just the first one that stopped working. Any idea how to get the software version for each box? I assume that a recent automatic software upgrade to the first box changed the right button code. 

Steve

•  
  • Arris_XG1-M_Front_Thumb.jpg Serial Number:   MAC Address:    
    More information about yourCable Box :Media Room Make & Model:   MOTO mx011anm

• Cable Box : Media Room 2
    Pace_RNG150N_Front_Thumb.jpg Serial Number:    MAC Address:    
    More information about yourCable Box :Media Room 2 Make & Model:   PA pr150bnm

The new codes have been posted on several forums.  Your dealer can just log in to your system and copy/paste the new codes in.  I doubt you'll see C4 create a new driver.  Better off calling Comcast and bitc**** to them.

I was happy to see C4 interacting on this forum and I hope they take note here.

I am one of thier most loyal customers and have been from almost the beginning, but that loyalty is because they had the best product based on what I knew.

I have no intention of calling my dealer or comcast to resolve this issue.  I fully expect C4 to update the driver and push it out through auto update.  If they do not figure out this level of technology, I see no way that they will survive against google and apple HA.

The driver doesn't have any auto-update features as it's a 1-way IR driver.  How exactly do you think C4 is responsible for Comcast changing their codeset?  Bug someone to remotely change the driver for dollars.  That's the only way it will get fixed.

The driver doesn't have any auto-update features as it's a 1-way IR driver.  How exactly do you think C4 is responsible for Comcast changing their codeset?  Bug someone to remotely change the driver for dollars.  That's the only way it will get fixed.

Really?  C4 has no responsibility for Comcast changing their codeset.  Nor does Comcast have any responsibility for worrying about how their hardware interfaces with 3rd party automation.

This issue impacts every C4 user that has an integrated Comcast X1 box; the X1 driver is part of the C4 platform; and, C4 has a responsibility to ensure their users remain satisfied.  Asking every user to pay their dealer to modify a "standard" driver seems really inefficient - regardless of the cost involved.

The good news is I have a dealer who will take care of this now that they and I both know what the issue is.....

Thank you.

Curious how other companies like Harmony deal with this issue?  Are there processes in place to report this to C4 when it happens?

Its not an easy fix as C4 has tens of thousands of drivers.  There needs to be a process in place for them to know when the manufacture updates an existing driver.  

Really?  C4 has no responsibility for Comcast changing their codeset.  Nor does Comcast have any responsibility for worrying about how their hardware interfaces with 3rd party automation.

This issue impacts every C4 user that has an integrated Comcast X1 box; the X1 driver is part of the C4 platform; and, C4 has a responsibility to ensure their users remain satisfied.  Asking every user to pay their dealer to modify a "standard" driver seems really inefficient - regardless of the cost involved.

The good news is I have a dealer who will take care of this now that they and I both know what the issue is.....

Thank you.

No, C4 does not have any responsibility.  Your dealer/installer does, based on the relationship that you have with them.  New drivers have been posted for particular boxes.  The recent Comcast update dropped some IR codes that have been used for years, only on certain boxes though.  Some boxes still work with the old codeset. My guess is that it was a programming error on Comcast's behalf.

I could easily understand your frustration and stance if this was a certified IP driver.  But the fact still remains that it is only an IR driver, which can be rectified in minutes.  I'm sure C4 will eventually add the newer driver into the database, but I wouldn't hold your breath.  If it needs to be fixed in a timely manner, that is where your dealer should step in.

Harmony has one of the largest IR libraries of all.  That doesn't mean that all of their drivers work 100%.  I've witnessed this myself.  Your guess is as good as mine as to when the update their drivers if codesets have changed.

Archived