C4 Forums | Control4

ntpd process on controller, load average

AJ_

On running top, I see that ntpd is often at the top of the stack, using up to 50% of the CPU. Anyone know what this process does and why it's using resources at this level while the system is not at it's peak. No activity is going on. No music, movies, not event lights being used.

FYI - I'm trying to reduce the load average on the primary controller. I moved zserver2 to a different controller but this seems to have increased the load average slightly. I'm on 2.4 2.2.4 and have director on an HC-500, zserver on an HC-300. When I run Rhapsody, there is often a pause in the music before it starts up again in the middle of a track.

AC

So this ntpd service keeps popping up every now and then. It's using a lot of CPU resources (up to 50%).

Any idea if I can disable it without causing too much trouble? I'm thinking I will have to switch from my HC500 as the primary controller to another device. Gonna be a pain to get all the devices moved though. Sigh!

AC

• 5 weeks later...

FYI - I added another HC-300 to my system, so I end up with 2 HC-300s, 1 HC-500 (director), 1 HC-200. I also have 2 thermostats, several (~50) light switches, etc. This improved the performance overall somewhat. Instead of hard resets for the HCs every other day, I only had to do it once over several days.

Eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and upgraded to a HC-250. I still have all the other controllers, which I can definitely use and I am up to 2.5.3. So much better. I'm definitely loving the MyHome license and access from multiple devices.

Archived