C4 Forums | Control4

Latest Composer Home Edition capabilities - and is 4Sight included?

Hello,

I'm a new control 4 user, and my dealer is about to program my GE alarm system, Wirepath NVR and two cameras, and 15 Lighting devices.  Question: what does Composer Home Edition offer me, and does it include 1 year 4sight?  My dealer is trying to get me on a quarterly subscription plan that apparently includes 4Sight, but at 250 a quarter, I'm questioning the value of getting one hour of programming included? versus when I really need it.  I figure Home Edition can let me revise scenes or assign functions to buttons on my keypad. 

Can someone educate me on what I can or cannot do?  Also letting me know what are the standard prices out there for Composer Home Edition (confirming that it does include 4Sight).

Thanks,

Myron

With HE you can do your own programming. You can't add new devices. There's a lot of great support on this forum to help you with programming. Not sure if HE still comes with a year of 4Sight. You could probably save yourself a good chunk buying HE and calling your dealer for troubleshooting only

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It used to come with 4sight a while back but it was a promo I think any way a 4sight subscription is $99 a year and I think composer HE is one time fee of $150 if your dealer is trying to bang you $250 every 3 months that's nuts you can go online to any C4 dealers and have them set you up or one of the nice dealers on this forums help you $250 sheeeesh

Thanks that's the advice I needed.  This dealer is used to getting 20-30K projects, I think he's frustrated that he can't get 10K out of me, but all i wanted to automate is about 15 dimmers on my first floor, security system and IP cameras and AV...i guess after the original project he sees his revenue driving up!  Funny, how he doesn't offer the 4Sight or Composer Edition Home Edition explictly!  When I asked about 4Sight, he said "oh its included in my plan!".

So is there no issue buying the software license (either 4Sight or Composer Home Edition from online dealers?).  The other question I have:  does the dealer have to use 4Sight to log into the controller to do the programming remotely?  I think his office is suggesting I have to be on his quarterly plan to get "remote programming suport".  I have an enterprise Cisco Meraki appliance and have set up an IPSec VPN account for him to enable client VPN access, shouldn't that suffice?

Thanks!

No.

No. You don't need 4sight for a dealer to log in remotely. It does make it easier. You also don't need VPN for them to get access. If you have VPN, you can use your app remotely. What you won't get is notifications, eg, your alarm is armed etc.

you can do lots of programming with HE incl the notifications. If you get stuck, a dealer can remote in to help. Going rate seems to be $100/hr and lots of them are quite reasonable with their billing, eg 10 mins isn't a minimum charge of $100.

Ps, 4sight is registered to your project, so if he's got you to set up VPN, it doesn't sound like he's going to use it for access, which means you miss out on some features mentioned above.

FWIW, I'm in for about $20k for my project built over a couple of years with switches bought from eBay, and I have HC800, 2 200's, 8 zone amp, tuner, 2 speaker points, 2 media players, cameras, security integration, and approx 30 switches. It seems the video integration equipment is the expense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Control4 officially does not support VPN access as tokead explained this restricts a few services remotely. Also can be a headache occasionally after updates or hardware changes. Dealers do not need 4sight for remote access it does not effect us if you have it or not. Control4 officialyl does not encourage using remote dealers.

Archived