C4 Forums | Control4

RTSP Stream to C4?

Niclas

Hi, I'm about to test a Unifi video camera with Control4.

The problem with this is of course there is no driver for this camera.

But if I use their NVR so I can get a RTSP stream.

The problem is that I have not found any driver can handle RTSP.

I can get out RTSP the power on to VLC and where it works well.

Does anyone know if there is such a driver.

Hope someone has a solution to this thread.

Greetings

Niclas

Hi.

I have used iSpy and camera sream can not be found with it.

But the stream from the NVR can I access. Stream is "rtsp://127.0.0.1:7447/c5c3f4ed-XXXX-3075-978f-a55643764729_0".

But that is not what the problem was it was so that I can find no generic drives that can handle the RTSP protocol. Do you have any suggestions for such a driver

N

• 5 years later...

@lippavisual Can we revisit this a bit?  I am designing two distribution systems at present for clients.  An AVoIP system by AVPro (MX Net is brand new!) and an HDMI/HDBaseT system (16x16 Modular Chassis version of the AVPro Matrix).  Both integrations have at least one Control4 Chime and both are C4 OS3 homes.  Also, both will have surveillance systems of at least 3-5 IP cameras beyond the door station (Chime) video.  In both cases the goal is to have an overlay of the video from one of these sources/devices (PIP or Multiview Split Screen) upon an action from one of these sources/devices (cameras/doorstations - press or motion) on any display that the matrices (both AVoIP or HDMI) outputs to and snappy/quickly.  I know the VS product, but I don't know how to get multiple streams?  Can the VS product be output to an HDMI Matrix? AVoIP encoder?  Not sure where RTSP would fit, but somehow I need to get the IP feeds out via HDMI.

Netplay is an AVoIP system which uses RTSP (h.265/h.264) protocols for the live streaming video.  Most, if not all, IP cameras will provide h.264 stream or newer cameras will be h.265.

I have used a single Netplay decoder just to view cameras on a traditional matrix, but this was years ago and before the new pricing structure change from Videostorm.  Now you'd have to purchase a Netplay Manager and a Decoder.  Don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head, but I'm guessing $800+ in hardware, let alone labor for config.

Cheapest route I've done is purchased a Roku, added the IP Camera Viewer Pro app, configured that app with all camera settings.  Then when doorbell is pressed, select "custom mini app" (which is configured to always be on a screen with 4 cameras showing).

It all comes down to how you're integrating the cameras.  I use Synology NAS's as a NVR.  If I'm doing that with any type of HDMI matrix, whether HDBT or IP, I get a single Synology VS360HD and configure that for the camera views I want.  If you are using stock NVR's from any manufacturer with a built-in POE switch and connecting the cameras that way, this method will not be easy because now all your cameras are behind the firewall of the NVR.

You can still use a stock NVR by manually adding the IP streams and using a normal POE network switch though.  Just have to plan accordingly.

My biggest disappointment with AVoIP systems, is that they only focus on encoding HDMI signals.  I mean, really, your system already works over the network, so why they don't add the capability of adding IP camera streams as a virtual source (like NetPlay does) is beyond me.  Believe me, I've asked several manufacturers multiple times for this capability and it falls on deaf ears. 

21 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

My biggest disappointment with AVoIP systems, is that they only focus on encoding HDMI signals.  I mean, really, your system already works over the network, so why they don't add the capability of adding IP camera streams as a virtual source (like NetPlay does) is beyond me.  Believe me, I've asked several manufacturers multiple times for this capability and it falls on deaf ears. 

Thanks @lippavisualI'd say AVPro is listening, because these guys are the best.  In the meantime, they never denigrate competitors and encourage solutions that work until such time as they decide to become a gold standard in the area.  We had an hour long call with JT & Sam today.  One is the AVoIP MX Net lead guy and the other is the HDMI Modular Matrix project lead.  Until they unleash their solution (and they've got a whopper coming in terms of a single solution for HDMI/HDBaseT whole home AV and Audio matrixing with the ability to double matrix - haha pretty technical term.) they've suggested this 

1. Sources feed into an HDMI Matrix switch which feeds HDMI out to the Video Storm Encoders.
  2. Video Storm Encoders send stream to Video Storm Decoder and out to displays (downscaled when needed).
  3. Video Storm Decoder will PIP with the IP Cam stream when necessary.
  4. FOR RACKED GAMING CONSOLES WITH VERY LOW LATENCY - USB Extender with POE can be used to run a direct USB homerun back to the Racked Gaming Unit (Home Owner Might even prefer a Mouse and Keyboard setup), the gaming unit can accept up to two hardwired controllers (2 zone limit)

Overall this combo system should give

• 4k60 HDR possibilities
  • PIP with IP camera streams
  • Hardwired Gaming Controllers

You don't need Encoders for Videostorm if all you're trying to access is the cameras IP streams.  I'd put a single VS decoder (of your choice) as an input to the HDMI matrix (of your choice).  Now those cameras will be available anywhere your HDMI switch outputs go to.

Or are you trying to do PiP overlay on the main video source?  I don't think what you've laid out will work well.  There are 4K HDR encoders, but you'll lose any HD Audio capabilities.

I'd also try to steer away from adding game consoles to the matrix.  Especially, if using IP, the latency will be too much.

1 minute ago, lippavisual said:

You don't need Encoders for Videostorm if all you're trying to access is the cameras IP streams.  I'd put a single VS decoder (of your choice) as an input to the HDMI matrix (of your choice).  Now those cameras will be available anywhere your HDMI switch outputs go to.

Or are you trying to do PiP overlay on the main video source?  I don't think what you've laid out will work well.  There are 4K HDR encoders, but you'll lose any HD Audio capabilities.

I'd also try to steer away from adding game consoles to the matrix.  Especially, if using IP, the latency will be too much.

8 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

@lippavisualNow I am confused, but how will I get the IP Cameras into the matrix without an Encoder?

Yes, PiP overlay while trying to maintain main video sources HDR.  No audio required for PiP feed.

Funny you showed me an Extron product.  (see later in this comment) As for the consoles, the AVPro's better HDBaseT extenders to 2-way USB.  The controller connectivity and then latency was always an issue., but I have tested it with an Extron SW4 USB Switcher and cannot see any latency at all.

So, I have both the AVPro AVoIP (MX Net) & the 16x16 Matrix Chassis that I have filled with HDMI (with fiber) and HDBaseT cards.  I am about to test the new audio cards.  AVPro wants me to use the HDBaseT/HDMI matrix, versus their AVoIP solution for this whole PiP project.  What I showed you is how they determined this could work.  

You know I value your input, so keep it coming. 

This is a picture of my IP camera setup at my house.  This is where you input the camera parameters into Netplay.  If it's an IP camera, then you don't need an HDMI encoder at all.  This stream is pulled from my Synology NAS.  HDMI encoders are only needed when there is a live HDMI output from the source.

ScreenHunter 61.png

I'd need a lot more detail to figure out what your trying to do for this project.  This is another project that is doing similar by using Extron's NAV (AVoIP) product and the new Multiviewer for 8' x 16' LED Wall.  Hopefully this gives you an idea of how to overlays and such.

Basically, it's using 4 decoders from the IP matrix system (for 4 sources) then running into the multiviewer that has a single output to the videowall.  They can view up to 4 sources at a time or other layouts that I setup.

I know these have Crestron part#'s, we converted the project to Extron.

ScreenHunter 62.png

@lippavisualThis is the goal for 2 separate builds for two different clients. 

These are both Control4 projects.  The basis of one is the AVPro 16x16 HDMI/HDBaseT Modular Chassis & the other is the AVPro MX Net new AVoIP system.  Not that it matters, but one is a 12x6 (with 2 of the 6 at 720p max, the balance 4KHDR), the AVoIP is very similar in size and setup.  The goal (and this is the most asked for feature I get residentially) is to take a doorstation/bell (I am attempting to use C4 Chimes) and other IP based cameras and have them send snappy PiP to any display programmed (as well as T4's) upon an event such as a button press or motion.  The cameras/NVR's (if any) have not been selected, but they will likely be Hikvision or Luma (same/same) with a Luma NVR (unless there is a compelling reason not to use this brand).  Sam at AVPro (I remain testing something with them, so I have a lot of communication with them), regarding this video PiP suggested I steer from the AVoIP for now until they launch something similar to the VS product with regard to multiview and overlays, and to first attempt this on the 16x16 Chassis either HDBaseT or HDMI over Fiber.  He is suggesting I use the VS product together with his HDMI Matrix.  The goal was to maintain 4KHDR on the primary when an overlay is sent.

1. Sources feed into an HDMI Matrix switch which feeds HDMI out to the Video Storm Encoders.
  2. Video Storm Encoders send stream to Video Storm Decoder and out to displays (downscaled when needed).
  3. Video Storm Decoder will PIP with the IP Cam stream when necessary.

So my first question was - How to we accomplish Step 1?  How to get the network video from the IP cams into the matrix?  And his response was:

For the IP cameras we could put another IP decoder as an input, this would allow you to be able to matrix the cameras, and you could use the PIP of the video storms to display multiple cameras on a singular input of the matrix.

Why do you need a video matrix for? You can install inexpensive encoder directly to the source and save thousands. The moment you have encoders/decoders involved you can't have 4K HDR for those sources. So, if you'll be using sources that don't require HDR such as STB, then you don't need the Matrix, just plug the encoder in the source. All feeds have to go through the decoder in the TVs for features to work. So if you have an Apple TV in the rack, the feed from the Apple TV has to go through the encoder/decoder in order to be able to use the VS features you want and it also means no 4k HDR.

As mentioned before, you don't need encoders for the cameras. VS can access the feed directly. Unless I'm missing something, you are complicating this.

https://www.video-storm.com/Downloads/hdmi_matrix.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEDo5QIvcmw&feature=emb_title

Personally, I wouldn't use VS at all. The PIP feature would be cool, but I don't have any issues with displaying full image in the TV with a doorbell press. Plus I prefer to have access to full 4K HDR from my Apple TV and Roku boxes which are in the rack. This is how I do my systems:

Sources connected to a matrix for distribution (Easy part, we all know how it works)
One decoder for cameras connected to the matrix with a STB driver to control it. This decoder contains 30 channels which means it can access any camera (up to 30) by recalling a channel number (like cable TV). Decoder supports up to 4K/30hz which is enough for most cameras out there. The camera channels show up by name in the Channels proxy in the Watch menu so customers can view and browse the cameras in full res in any TV.

When doorbell button is pressed:
Switch to the decoder in the Matrix and choose the channel you want. For example: Front Door is in channel 1.

Motion in the backyard:
Switch to the decoder in the Matrix and choose the channel. For example: Backyard camera is in Channel 3.

Giving up 4KHDR while using the best Matrix in the market that money can buy doesn't make any sense just to have PiP. Not to mention the fact that you don't even need it if you want to use VS.

Eddy, that's what I was trying to point out.  As in, why the need for the PiP, when you can just go full screen.  Even use the snapshot driver to pause room source, switch to camera view, then back to source after some time.

There are 4K60 Encoders with HDR, but honestly not worth it yet if you ask me because they are still too new.

Videostorm would just add a lot more grief to what you're trying to do.

2 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Eddy, that's what I was trying to point out.  As in, why the need for the PiP, when you can just go full screen.  Even use the snapshot driver to pause room source, switch to camera view, then back to source after some time.

There are 4K60 Encoders with HDR, but honestly not worth it yet if you ask me because they are still too new.

Sounds a little crazy @lippavisual , but maybe a dedicated Roku on the Rack exclusively for running the IP Camera App and locked on the app? I have to test the switching speed of the matrix versus opening and closing the Roku apps.  Seems like if it were on a Roku that is also serving up other Apps, it would require the person viewing to manually restart the program they were watching.  Does this make any sense?  If it works, it'd save the cost of a decoder (I have Roku Ultras laying around everywhere).

5 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Yeah, PiP would not fly on any of my projects. Everybody asks for full screen view. I can understand the need for a decoder, 720p in navigators is not that great, especially with customers who ask for 4K cameras. Full 4K view on 4K TVs is really nice. But, you’re right, using the Navigator agent will accomplish the same thing for Door Stations which are VGA only

1 minute ago, Chico said:

Yeah, PiP would not fly on any of my projects. Everybody asks for full screen view. I can understand the need for a decoder, 720p in navigators is not that great, especially with customers who ask for 4K cameras. Full 4K view on 4K TVs is really nice. But, you’re right, using the Navigator agent will accomplish the same thing for Door Stations which are VGA only

A lot of times it takes forever for the switching for OSD unless it's on the matrix (which will be matrix switching speed dependent) so maybe I could even dedicate an EA-1 to the matrix?  There are so many ways... I need snappy.

2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Snappy would be to have a dedicated device for the cameras and have your matrix switch to it.

You’d have better resolution than OSD and a lot quicker than using OSD. 

Right, it all depends on the Matrix. The way I have it in my house (where I only need this feature in one TV) is I have the Decoder connected directly to the TV. The HDMI switch of the TV is really fast, a second or less. It actually works great.

4 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Snappy would be to have a dedicated device for the cameras and have your matrix switch to it.

You’d have better resolution than OSD and a lot quicker than using OSD. 

Do you mean a dedicated display?  If so, defeats the purpose.  They don't care about resolution so long as they can make out who is at a door.  So I can pull network video into the EA-1 on the matrix and send it wherever?  I just ordered two inexpensive Hikvision cameras to test on my own system via @lippavisual's Roku solution or snapshot driver solution and @eddy.trochez's suggestions.  I agree PiP is not necessary, but there are other considerations (tiling weather, sports, finance, etc).

You mentioned that you’ll be using either Luma or Hikvision (same thing) as your NVR. You can connect the HDMI from the NVR to the Matrix and create an event to show a camera in full screen with a doorbell button press. I have done all the suggestions I have mentioned and there are many ways to do what you want and it’s pretty easy to do too. Decoders are great when you use a computer or NAS based system. But if you are using a regular NVR, then forget the decoder. You can just connect the NVR to the matrix and create the events. I have systems using Hikvision NVRs that show a DS2 feed in full screen when the DS2 button is pressed. After 20 seconds it goes back to showing all the cameras or the source being used. I don’t do Hikvision NVRs anymore, now I do computer based systems. That’s why I use decoders.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.