C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Kodi Full (XBMC) Driver for Control4

alanchow

Let me explain.what if a customer wants to have two Kodi boxes as two separate sources on the one Matrix. 

Why would you do this you ask?

Well you might want to keep a "clean" box with just a nice clear interface for music and your NAS movies..

And you might want another ("not so clean") one fresh from the "Kodi Community" with all the apps (so to speak)

Each Kodi box has a Movie, Live TV, Music and Video submenu..

Kodi box 1 might be predominantly NAS streamed content

Kodi Box2 might be non NAS streamed content.. but they all appear under the same "Movie", Live TV, Music.. etc etc submenus..

Na forget it..

I know what I want to do, (even if others don;t) but as usual there is a total disconnect... 

I need a life.

Good night

(lol)  

15 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

I get that. Do you guys think I'm stupid? 

I'm talking about running two sets of sub drivers (of the Full driver).. Like two movies, music, live TV etc etc.. The issue is (with all due respect) whether this could get confused in programming, calling the subdrivers etc etc... 

you need one sub-set per kodi instance.  It doesn't get confusing in programming, you just select the correct player in your programming

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

you need one sub-set per kodi instance.  It doesn't get confusing in programming, you just select the correct player in your programming

Yes.. but it might get confusing for others who pick up the SR260 or go to a touchscreen etc.. Geeeez 

So that's why I asked about changing the names of the sub drivers.. and whether the Kodi sub menus also needed to change in naming (to match).. 

Heck how did I know that would still necessarily work?

Like I said. 

There is often a disconnect with what's possible (and whether it should actually be done)

Good night.

16 hours ago, alanchow said:

Our Kodi Full driver does not utilise Control4's media management.  As such it is not effected by larget movie library sizes.  Meta data including images is processed on the fly and in small portions as you navigate through the list.  Eg if you have 10,000 movies it will (depending on the navigator user interface) go from 0-50, 50-100, 100-150 or 0-20, 20-40, 40- 80, etc etc.

Nothing is stored.  Images are sent to Navigator as a direct URL for navigator to grab from Kodi itself.

Thanks.  The way you are handling images sound like a better way of handling them.  I wish C4 would consider taking a similar approach.

22 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Yes.. but it might get confusing for others who pick up the SR260 or go to a touchscreen etc.. Geeeez 

So that's why I asked about changing the names of the sub drivers.. and whether the Kodi sub menus also needed to change in naming (to match).. 

Heck how did I know that would still necessarily work?

Like I said. 

There is often a disconnect with what's possible (and whether it should actually be done)

Good night.

no, you just use the room navigator to only show the correct kodi's in the correct room.

Are you talking about an instance where you have multiple Kodi's in a Matrix?

Yeah OK. Sure. I'm not a moron.. I was just asking if it's possible (or beneficial) or even desirable to use two full drivers in the one project (with all the sub drivers) that's all. It's not even clear if it can be done. Cheers

Yeah. I run that config you are describing above

I have 2 XBMC boxes currently, 1 in my main theater area and 1 in my rack running into a 4x4 HDMI matrix.

My issue is I have significant delay in command responses of approximately 4-5 seconds.  For example, if I hit FForward, and then try to hit it again it won't respond to go from 2x to 4x to 8x etc for at least 4 seconds between response to increase FForward speed. 

Another example if you hit PAUSE, it will take 4 seconds before you can hit PLAY.

My dealer said that is normal (?!) for the XBMC Control4 response time but it's very annoying.

In looking at Composer it appears the driver that is there under Properties is "Control4 DriverWorks SDK" as far as I can see.  When I'm looking at Properties, the LuaOutput keeps moving along and saying On Timer Expired every 30 seconds or so  with some other lines of dialogue.

Any ideas on how to get more rapid response than 4 second delays between commands being accepted???

It takes literally hours and hrs..if not days to build a full Kodi box..with all the apps and possible experiences.. 

However the Kodi menu in this situation can get very cluttered, very quickly: particularly for the (non) Kodi user

That's why I was simply investigating whether or not two could be run in the same room... and how the drivers might work in this scenario..

Looks like it might be just "too hard".. and I'll stick with the one box per room...

On that note, is there a real easy way to back up an old Kodi settings, apps, all the shares etc and port them to a new box? Rather than having to build the new one from scratch? 

5 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

I have 2 XBMC boxes currently, 1 in my main theater area and 1 in my rack running into a 4x4 HDMI matrix.

My issue is I have significant delay in command responses of approximately 4-5 seconds.  For example, if I hit FForward, and then try to hit it again it won't respond to go from 2x to 4x to 8x etc for at least 4 seconds between response to increase FForward speed. 

Another example if you hit PAUSE, it will take 4 seconds before you can hit PLAY.

My dealer said that is normal (?!) for the XBMC Control4 response time but it's very annoying.

In looking at Composer it appears the driver that is there under Properties is "Control4 DriverWorks SDK" as far as I can see.  When I'm looking at Properties, the LuaOutput keeps moving along and saying On Timer Expired every 30 seconds or so  with some other lines of dialogue.

Any ideas on how to get more rapid response than 4 second delays between commands being accepted???

Nope definately not normal.  I have 3 Kodi setups at my house running on an EA-5 master controller.  Kodi responds within less than a second when you press buttons.

Check the usual networking and processing potential issues.

Sounds like you don't have Alan's driver. You must have the free Kodi driver. This is normal for the free driver for some odd reason. Using Alan's driver it works perfect with no "delay" on fast forward or play/pause.

30 minutes ago, Gix656 said:

Sounds like you don't have Alan's driver. You must have the free Kodi driver. This is normal for the free driver for some odd reason. Using Alan's driver it works perfect with no "delay" on fast forward or play/pause.

Actually that's a good point this isn't my driver as mine does have a on timer expired debug message 

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 9:20 PM, alanchow said:

Nope definately not normal.  I have 3 Kodi setups at my house running on an EA-5 master controller.  Kodi responds within less than a second when you press buttons.

Check the usual networking and processing potential issues.

I should clarify,  on the menus and input via virtual response time is basically normal. However when I am trying to fast forward or Advance a video or pause or play is when the delay occurs

I should clarify,  on the menus and input via virtual response time is basically normal. However when I am trying to fast forward or Advance a video or pause or play is when the delay occurs

Please read previous posts!! You are not using the Chowmain Kodi driver. You are using the free xbmc driver. Get the Chowmain Kodi driver and your problems will be solved, I can say that with 100% confidence.

Problem solved, you're welcome!

• 1 month later...

I have a RPi in my project now and going to add an android box soon to another room. It will be my first android box but keep seeing I need to root it. Is this to use kodi/android apps or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.