C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos Programming

JerryR

I just got a Sonos connected to my system and I've been working on some programming for it.  I've noticed that it's very different from when I was using Rhapsody or just the C4 digital media.  I mean that in terms of the programming side, not just the functionality.  

I am trying to setup a custom button with different favorite playlists to play throughout the house.  When I program, I can select a certain playlist to play in one room.  However, when I try to "add rooms to the session" it seems to add the playlist in different rooms starting on different songs.  Or it doesn't add the other rooms and just plays the starting room.  

Anyone had this issue before and know how to address it?

Assuming your drivers are up to date, you cannot use the channel (select broadcast audio) anymore - and not the digital session option either (technically you never could as it is not a C4 driven service).

To 'join' you have to select the same sonos that you started on in the other rooms under 'select audio device'

It used to work to start a playlist in a room and just add other rooms to the session.  So apparently in the latest versions that no longer works.  Selecting the Sonos device in each room is just fine, but it's more programming than the old add rooms to digital session.  That was much less programming needed. 

Yes I said 'technically' you couldn't use it. While I do not know the details, I suspect that function is where the issues they had actually came from - at least some of them.

'join session' is intended in it's conception ONLY for stored media, and was extended to the built in Rhapsody/Napster and later also internet radio and it's replacement TuneIn. It's purpose in particular is to give you an option to combine multiple rooms to the same stream, at the same time and in synch - a problem non-existent in selecting a specific (physical) source.

In short - it's intended use is for audio output by the system 'internally' - not for 3rd party devices.

I'm well aware it used to work - indeed, it's only through a similar port not that long ago (where I pointed out you would find the Sonos favorites under 'broadcast audio' only to learn the person could not find it there) that I found out that specific detail myself.

Sometimes what seems logical outside of  Composer just isn't setup within it.  Such as it is. 

Additional question, how would you shuffle your playlist in Sonos so when you say select a playlist it doesn't always start with the same song?  I've got everything setup but am hung up on this and don't want to listen to the same starting song every single time it activates.  

• 2 weeks later...

There is unfortunately no way of doing so that I'm aware of.

C4 itself only tells the Sonos to play something, thus doesn't actually have the list to 'shuffle' itself (like you would using the built-in streaming), and the shuffle option is not available in the driver (can't say why - it may not be in the API).

That's dissappointing because it could shuffle Rhapsody within C4's server. Wish I'd known this before going down the Sonos path quite frankly.

Just because you have Sonos does not take away rhapsody on the controller.

You could have these as rhapsody playlists from the HC to get the shuffle, just not say spotify or tidal from the SONOS. Or get Pandora one on the SONOS. A natural shuffle.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

I understand it doesn't take away Rhapsody by having Sonos.  What I want is my Sonos playlists to be shuffled the way Rhapsody playlists are able to.  It's disappointing that is not an option either in the driver or API as pointed out by CYKnight.  This applies to my iTunes playlists mainly.  

I understand it doesn't take away Rhapsody by having Sonos.  What I want is my Sonos playlists to be shuffled the way Rhapsody playlists are able to.  It's disappointing that is not an option either in the driver or API as pointed out by CYKnight.  This applies to my iTunes playlists mainly.  

I had the same issue and posed the question here and to my dealer.  As I remember, you could to this in the original EV Sonos driver. I say this because I remember using the shuffle option in programming for my playlists.

I also was disappointed because I am not able to use any of my playlists in Spotify, etc unless I listen to the same songs in the same order as you point out. My only option was to ask my dealer to reach out to C4 and note it as a request for an enhancement.

• 4 months later...

after setting shuffle on from the sonos desktop pc app i can seem to get it to shut off , unless i turn it off. I swear i turned it on that way before so something turned it off jsut cant find it currently, its a band-aid on a problem  that i think they should be able to fix as you can send the shuffle command in the  C4 GUI

Archived