C4 Forums | Control4

Change behavior from Watch Selection in Composer HE

VideoDemon

I am new to Control4 programming, and have Composer HE - and am looking for some basic advice.  I have been able to change behavior when I turn a room off, but I can't figure out how to change a room's behavior when I turn the room on.

If I turn the room on by selecting the Watch on the Navigator and choose - for example - Roku, there is a long delay until it selects the inputs on the TV.  What is the device event that gets triggered when I select a Watch input, and how to do I change the delay before various things get changed on the devices?

Thanks for the answers - and I do understand that when you first turn on the TV it needs some time to be ready for the initial input selection.  I figure that the delay is about right for that situation.

In my situation, the TV is already on from another source.  I can explain this in more detail if people are interested, but for this purpose please assume that the TV has already been on for a while, but the Navigator does not know that it is.  I understand that this is not normal, and if you see what I am doing you'll undertand - so if anybody is interested in the details please let me know.

For this situation, there is not need for the turn-on delay.  Is there any way for me to bypass the TV turn-on delay in this situation with HE, or do I need to have the dealer make the change?  Or, alternatively, is there some way to add a selection that assumes the TV is on?

Thanks for the answers - and I do understand that when you first turn on the TV it needs some time to be ready for the initial input selection. I figure that the delay is about right for that situation.

In my situation, the TV is already on from another source. I can explain this in more detail if people are interested, but for this purpose please assume that the TV has already been on for a while, but the Navigator does not know that it is. I understand that this is not normal, and if you see what I am doing you'll undertand - so if anybody is interested in the details please let me know.

For this situation, there is not need for the turn-on delay. Is there any way for me to bypass the TV turn-on delay in this situation with HE, or do I need to have the dealer make the change? Or, alternatively, is there some way to add a selection that assumes the TV is on?

If the tv is on and the navigator doesn't know then it's doing its job. Stick to Control4 only and lose other remotes and you don't have this problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do understand that if I only use the Control4 Navigator then none of this will happen.  I'm not sure that I'm making myself understood.  We have another room where I use it as expected and it works great - just as you say.  And I'm not really looking for advice of the sort that I should not want to do what I'm doing.  I know that it's out of the ordinary.  If there isn't a way around it, then I will live with the issue.  And if the system can't do what I want, then so be it.  Every system has its limitations.  But the Control4 has the reputation as highly configurable - so I'm looking for how I might do this.

And just to provide a little more insight - to get past the "why would anyone want to do this" stage.  My wife happens to like the Tivo remote.  So I have a Tivo Mini that is connected to the TV, and normally she just turns on the TV with that Tivo remote and uses it. No need to invoke the navigator at all.   On occasion, she'd like to use the Roku - which is in the A/V room downstairs and is controlled through the navigator.  So when she switches to the navigator, the TV is already on.

I know that another way around this is to turn the TV off with the Tivo before selecting the Roku with the navigator - but that doesn't actually save any time.  It will power up as it does now.

The question is - what are the programming steps that the Navigator goes through when it selects a device for the first time (thus turning on the system)?  And can that be intercepted to tell the system that the TV is already on, and thus tell it not to wait?

Your problem here is that the delay you're talking about is built into the driver - there is no PROGRAMMING you can do to change that.

The driver has to be edited first.

To make this work correctly, you'll probably end up with the TV assumed to be always on.

From there you have to program the TV to turn on and off manually via C4.

You'll also have to manually add that if you turn the TV via C4, to repeat any input selection because now you're telling c4 there is NO delay, thus it will send the input change right away - while th TV is refusing the input selection.

Can't she watch the same things on the TiVo as she can on the Roku. The TiVo apps are much improved in the last two years.

Can't she change her remote preference? The TiVo one vs C4 is pretty intuitive?

CY nailed how complicated this is otherwise.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

You can get a control4 outlet switch. This has a built in voltage switch. It can recognize when the tv is on and turn on the room in control4 to tivo. This will allow you to grab a c4 remote and be past any delays. pretty easy in my mind.

i do this for my xbox and ps4 when they turn on using the game controlers c4 will kick on the tv and avr to match.

I will look into the outlet switch.

On making the TV assume that it is always on - that is an idea I had not considered.  I poked around a little in Composer and it was not obvious how to make that happen.  Is there a way to do that in HE?

you will spend a lot of time trying to get this right or have to go back and forth between sources to get the tv to turn on and off. Dealer only for power controls within the driver.

you will spend a lot of time trying to get this right or have to go back and forth between sources to get the tv to turn on and off. Dealer only for power controls within the driver.

This -

I mentioned as much, ComposerPro will be required to change the driver - assuming it's a simple IR driver, not a more complex driverworks driver (in which case it may be beyond your dealer's ability).

From there the programming is not impossible (and can be done via HE) - but complex and time consuming with a lot of trial and error.

The sensing option may work, but the problem is that many (LCD/LED) TVs use little less power in standby than in use and as such the outlet switch may not notice the difference between on and off.

\Sure doesn't hurt to try though - but this method STILL required ComposerPro to edit the driver (but removes the need to do extensive programming).

Archived