C4 Forums | Control4

Follow Mee GPS App

JerryR

My dealer was talking to me the other day about the Follow Mee app and using it as something that can trigger macros based on GPS location.  For example, you could have it turn on all the lights in the house if at night time when you get within 1/2 mile of home.  Or you could have the system send you a message if you get more than 1/2 mile away from home and lights are still on or garage door is up. 

Sounds really cool, but I didn't know if anyone has used it and found it to be reliable or what.  

You mean FollowMe by Synapse? Not associated with Followmee the iphone/android app

High cool factor (especially on paper), works pretty good and I don't doubt the reliability  but consider how much value it would add. Can take a lot of tweaking to get right. Can be easy to get wrong (crush your dog under the garage door, turn the lights on in the middle of the night or off when you drive away and your partner's doing laundry in the basement)

Does come with a 14 day trial though:

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/followme-geofence-driver

You are correct, I meant the FollowMe by Synapse.  

My concern is that somehow your phone triggers a macro that opens the garage and turns everything on when you're 10 miles away.  Then you have an open and unsecure house without knowing it.  That's the fear of the reliability.  Sounds like it might be worth the free 14 day trial to check it out. 

FollowMe does take a lot of tweaking, there are some huge threads on here about it if you search.

There are lots of cool things you can do.  You don't have to do mission critical stuff like you mention.  Think things like turn off the lights when you leave or on when you arrive.

I do tons of things with it, but it works best for things tied to the individual user--you can't really turn off lights on/off globally but you can for rooms that are mostly dedicated to an individual.

I don't depend on it to lock my doors, I am still do that manually but it helps if you forget.

Garage doors I don't do anything with.

I really like this driver but it's a pain if you have a family all with iOS devices. It's my hope that they work on utilizing the "Family Share" feature so it will be easier to track devices with one account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived