C4 Forums | Control4

DoorBell Programming thru speakers around house

Nickago

Assuming you only need the 'ring', you would create an announcement using a doorbell chime in wav. form.

In the announcement (under agents) you'd  set which rooms, volume level etc.

Then on doorbell press you'd simply trigger that announcement.

For outside it is often best to create two sets, one for day and one for night then:

WHEN doorbell is pressed

IF time is between 10pm and 8am (or whatever time you want)

-execute 'night ring'

IF time it between 8am and 10pm

-execute 'day ring'

• 4 weeks later...

I tried doing what you recommend

I have C4 matirx/amp...I have the announvement wav and rooms made and uploaded, but when I try to execute, the sound only rarely comes through the speakers. It does sometimes, other times not.

Is there a delay (Ihave tried a 2-5 second delay to no vail) or way to "prep" the speakers for an announcement?

I am trying to have two different doorbell wavs for the different doors (both have independent card access).

Thanks

What amplification do you have?

I'm tempted to guess C4 power amps, and they are set to input sensing.

They (and other input sensing amps for that matter) tend to take too long to come on - by the time they register the announcement is playing and turn on the audio is done.

Those amps really should be set to either be controlled via relays and sensors (best) or be set to always on.

• 9 months later...

Yeah, I agree with CyKnight.  You should "jump" the relay input on the back of the amp.  The input sensing on the C4 amps are quite lazy actually, this will force them to be always on.  Then remember, your room bindings would all be to the switcher, i.e. Room Volume AND Room Select...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2015 at 1:02 AM, Cyknight said:

What amplification do you have?
I'm tempted to guess C4 power amps, and they are set to input sensing.
They (and other input sensing amps for that matter) tend to take too long to come on - by the time they register the announcement is playing and turn on the audio is done.
Those amps really should be set to either be controlled via relays and sensors (best) or be set to always on.

I just started to look at this post and realized how more efficient and 'the right way' to do this is using relays/sensors as suggested above (for announcements).  My question is, would it be from the i/o extender relay to the amp? Having multiple amps, I'm assuming I would would need to use 3 relays.  Would it be normally closed or open or doesn't matter?  Also, my amps have 12v DC in and out on back...I'm guessing I need to make a cable with a jack and then wire one end to accommodate 3.5mm jack and then the opposite sides into i/o extender relay or hc800 relay.  Anyone have any pic of this setup?

Thanks for you help!

Generally it's normally open (= off).

If you need 12v, you could steal it off the sensor and feed it into the relay [R]

+12v to [R] COM

[R] NO to amp+ (usually pin)

amp- (usually ring but please check) to ground

Yes you'd do 3 relays for 3 amps - unless you specifically WANT all three to be on at the same time

Thanks Cyknight.  Any reason some text is crossedout or just a glitch?
OK, got it wired up and programmed...one more question...does programming just have to implement the 12v trigger relay before the announcement and no other programming?  i.e won't change listening to music etc...through the audio matirx (audio matrix--->amp---->speakers).  Thanks for you help!

A little off the topic but can someone clarify how to wire in your existing doorbell into the door station. The existing doorbell rings when you touch the wires together. What "slots" on the door station do I wire these to in this diagram.

https://www.control4.com/docs/product/ds2-door-station/dealer-getting-started/english/latest/ds2-door-station-getting-started-rev-a.pdf

Archived