C4 Forums | Control4

Any ways to force a Control4 HDMI Matrix to EDID 5.1 Surround audio?

jackstone

I have a customer who own the Control4 8x8 HD Base-T Matrix (not a Leaf!) and we are trying to find a way to force the Matrix to report 5.1 Audio support to all HDMI source. The reason is to share two Dune media players across the house and allow the customer to start a movie in the theater, pause, and finish it in the bedroom.

So we want to keep 5.1 audio via HDMI available for the theater and use the decoded analog audio RCA output of the Dune to feed the multizone amp and allow the bedroom to get stereo audio. But problem is that the HDMI Matrix "know" that there is only a TV in the bedroom and this TV does not support 5.1 audio, so the Dune always play as PCM 2.0 except when we lock the input but this will prevent being able to share the video output of the Dune....

So the solution I was thinking is to force the HDMI Matrix to report 5.1 audio support to all source, even if this is not true, we don't care the TV can't support 5.1 audio because no TV in this house use the built-in speakers for audio, instead it's all centralized multizone audio.

I was thinking of connecting all the Matrix output to a 5.1 receiver and do the calibration, the receiver should report as 5.1 compatible and the Matrix should record the EDID... then connect back the TVs and the whole system should not be considered as 5.1 audio compliant...

I'm sure it may exist a better way to do that...

If this is really going to be a common scenario, it would be worth it to consider upgrading bedroom to surround audio and dedicate a centralized AVR to that room.  You'd also have to by the HDBaseT gear so it wouldn't be cheap.  I have a lot of surround zones I drive with AVRs and "cheap" Monoprice HDBaseT.

I think your workaround would be prone to reverting to what the EDID reports at some point.

Installing an AVR in the bedroom is not possible, and there is other room in the house that has a TV and stereo sound from the multizone, can't install AVR everywhere. Hydraconnect relaease a Matrix with Dolby Digital downmix, best idea ever... but no DTS support...

I also tough using China HDMI Audio Extractor that fool the EDID to allow 5.1 audio extraction over Toslink or Coax even if nothing is connected to the end.

Easiest? Go get a cheap receiver that can handle the decoding you want and put it in-between. Don't connect the speakers to it, just use it as a fake converter.

Mind you many tv's don't do dolby but WILL handle surround PCM so you could also set the source(s) to that.

The Dune does not allow multichannel PCM, it's "Decoded" or "Bitstream", that's all... And switch to PCM 2.0 when connected to the any of the TVs in the house.

Adding new receivers is a bit huge just to fool the EDID, I think my HDMI Audio Extractor idea would be a bit simpler (and smaller).

Meanwhile, I hope someone will tell me there is a way to force this C4 HDMI Matrix for 5.1 EDID, would solve ALL issues...

Installing an AVR in the bedroom is not possible, and there is other room in the house that has a TV and stereo sound from the multizone, can't install AVR everywhere. Hydraconnect relaease a Matrix with Dolby Digital downmix, best idea ever... but no DTS support...

Actually I said centralized--I have 4 AVRs centralized and none in rooms.  Maybe its not an option, but it has nothing to do with the equipment in the rooms as that wouldn't change. My point was if they are watching a lot of movies in the bedroom they started in the theater surround sound in the bedroom might not be that tough of a sell.

• 4 weeks later...

Solved:

Used a Matrix like this for the project: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Arrival-HDMI-2-0-Matrix-4x4-with-ARC-4Kx2K-3D-1080P-CEC-support-coaxial/32438023724.html

This one of many China HDMI Matrix that exist, but this one is surprisingly good! Analog audio extraction and Digital Coax Audio output that pass DD/DTS on ALL PORTS, MANUAL EDID selection either by switch or software, can pass 2K/4K/3D, Audio extraction does not rely on EDID, it always work as long as the source is using PCM, the Coax out can be used on older (and often better) AVR and will still play DD/DTS surround sound from the HDMI source, IP Control as a bonus and price is really good.

Manual EDID is really a great feature that allow connecting a Windows computer on the matrix without getting any problem with audio or video detection, my good old MCE computer work perfectly through this matrix and was always giving me problem with Leaf or C4 matrixes...

I have made an IP / RS-232 bidirectional driver for this Matrix to work with Control4, it allow to configure the EDID right into Composer, for those interested.

Solved:

Used a Matrix like this for the project: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Arrival-HDMI-2-0-Matrix-4x4-with-ARC-4Kx2K-3D-1080P-CEC-support-coaxial/32438023724.html

This one of many China HDMI Matrix that exist, but this one is surprisingly good! Analog audio extraction and Digital Coax Audio output that pass DD/DTS on ALL PORTS, MANUAL EDID selection either by switch or software, can pass 2K/4K/3D, Audio extraction does not rely on EDID, it always work as long as the source is using PCM, the Coax out can be used on older (and often better) AVR and will still play DD/DTS surround sound from the HDMI source, IP Control as a bonus and price is really good.

Manual EDID is really a great feature that allow connecting a Windows computer on the matrix without getting any problem with audio or video detection, my good old MCE computer work perfectly through this matrix and was always giving me problem with Leaf or C4 matrixes...

I have made an IP / RS-232 bidirectional driver for this Matrix to work with Control4, it allow to configure the EDID right into Composer, for those interested.

Great find! Are you going to sell the driver or it will be free as early xmas gift?

I am interested!

Yes, I think It will be free but I may lock it down to MAC, this Matrix is already and OEM for Vanco so they may release a driver soon or later. My driver have the advantage of being bidirectional and support IP control so if you buy this Matrix and want the driver, just send me a PM with you controller MAC and I will send you the driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived