C4 Forums | Control4

Wanted: C4 Equipment Purchase Connection

ejn1

Hi,  I have been able to routinely purchase from my local dealer new C4 equipment for 10% off list price.   I no longer want to purchase from this dealer so looking for someone that I can "reliably" buy new equipment from time to time for a fair price (imo) of 10% off list plus shipping.   I'm located in Texas so prefer out of state dealers to avoid sales tax.   If anyone interested, please PM me.

Thanks!

Thanks but I'm familiar with this approach :) .   Unfortunately, its not always effective so trying something a bit more direct to allow folks who are interested to know that I'm a customer who wants to purchase stuff!   In my business, we would have a swat team descend on a customer that shows proactive interest in purchasing our products as this takes all of the "selling" effort out of the equation.

And desiring pricing below normal, as well as tax evasion - not to mention that selling equipment without professional install service is against the dealer agreement.

A one-off sale of a few products really isn't worth even the time I'm spending here ;)

Ok, obviously I struck a chord with posting something asking to buy equipment (wow).   Last I checked we were in a free market and a customer can state what they are willing to pay for something?? and supplier has their choice as well.   List price is nothing more than a C4 suggestion correct?    Tax evasion, really?   I haven't met a person that hasn't bought something online and didn't pay sales tax...  Maybe you are the first for me :)   The real question you should ask is why not buy local?   Its because of my local dealer giving poor service, poor advice and lack of reasonable response.

Now your point on the dealer agreement is something I was not aware of...  So a dealer is in violation of their dealer agreement if they don't install the equipment?   I didn't know that and if its true, i wouldn't have posted my note on this forum.   The reality of it is, I have bought tons of C4 equipment and paid market rates for all of the programming from licensed dealers... So from my lens, I'm a good customer not what you are trying to portray above.  

Your point on spending the time was why I asked for a PM, if no PM's then I understand.  You are trying to make it a bill board for some of your pet peeves i guess.

Dealers also agree to not sell out of their markets, I believe, and there are also some prohibitions on online sales.

I think his point is valid, that dealers selling where they don't service, and/or out of market are possibly putting their dealerships at risk.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan.   I was posting my (thought to be) simple request on the wanted to buy/sell thread so naturally thought that this was what it was designed to do.    I understand your quick showing of support for your dealer above.   My only comment is to welcome when you can hear "the voice of the customer" versus insult it like the dealer above did.    I've ran into on several occasions dealers who don't get the big initial install and/or do not provide the follow up service.  When the customer needs simple add-ons, the service is horrible at times and you have to go to other dealers.  Other dealers, always say great initially, then when you are not passing their materiality threshold then service goes south.   I think this is why you have equipment sales on forums and remote integrators popping up which should be able to co-exist with dealers who only want the larger deals.    Just my 2 cents.  

• 2 weeks later...

And desiring pricing below normal, as well as tax evasion - not to mention that selling equipment without professional install service is against the dealer agreement.

A one-off sale of a few products really isn't worth even the time I'm spending here ;)

As dealer I'm appalled at the attitude of this post :( I don't think the OP deserved that. Ignoring any US C4 territory rules that may or may not exist, tax rules which I know nothing about (UK Dealer!) No one can ever know its a one off sale can they?

I assume from this attitude you are an employee of a dealer as no dealer owner would put a end user down like this surely? As a dealer owner I would never talk to a end user of mine or any other dealers for that matter in this way. As C4 dealers we are part of the company and therefore all end users are the responsibility of us all and not to be publically made light of? If you want to talk rules we have a duty to maintain a professional image for the C4 brand, is this professional? Customer is king no matter what you think and that’s where its stay's, think it don’t say it.

Seriously if you have nothing constructive to say don’t say it, but it appears some members care more about their post count than clients unless they have 1000's to spend!!!

Sorry but if your telling Cy "if you have nothing constructive to say" then you obviously have never browsed the forum. He is the most helpful person here. Always puts his best foot forward and helps people daily. He is merely pointing out that there are rules that C4 has and posting here, in an open forum and asking people to break those rules is a bad thing. You can lose your dealer license just by saying "yea I can sell you that". C4 monitors this forum and I have seen first hand how C4 can have an effect when you sell something you aren't supposed to. So layoff Cy, until you want to post almost 6,000 posts on how to help people.....

C4 monitors this forum and I have seen first hand how C4 can have an effect when you sell something you aren't supposed to.

Funny story. I was on the Beta forums when I worked for a dealer. I left the dealer to pursue other things after messing with C4 for a few years. I slipped up and mentioned I didnt work for that dealer anymore and boom, all access closed. No more Beta.

Bucking the license system until caught and risking your former employers dealership, if you have opinions on ethics, morality & rules please ensure you have them or follow them yourself ;)

Ok, obviously I struck a chord with posting something asking to buy equipment (wow). Last I checked we were in a free market and a customer can state what they are willing to pay for something?? and supplier has their choice as well. List price is nothing more than a C4 suggestion correct? Tax evasion, really? I haven't met a person that hasn't bought something online and didn't pay sales tax... Maybe you are the first for me :) The real question you should ask is why not buy local? Its because of my local dealer giving poor service, poor advice and lack of reasonable response.

Now your point on the dealer agreement is something I was not aware of... So a dealer is in violation of their dealer agreement if they don't install the equipment? I didn't know that and if its true, i wouldn't have posted my note on this forum. The reality of it is, I have bought tons of C4 equipment and paid market rates for all of the programming from licensed dealers... So from my lens, I'm a good customer not what you are trying to portray above.

Your point on spending the time was why I asked for a PM, if no PM's then I understand. You are trying to make it a bill board for some of your pet peeves i guess.

But it is a free market where ctrl can choose to decide who to sell to / through and the rules they must abide by.

Just because I have something you want does not mean I have to sell it to you.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Bucking the license system until caught and risking your former employers dealership, if you have opinions on ethics, morality & rules please ensure you have them or follow them yourself ;)

I've never had any involvement with hot C4 beyond owning their equipment, but I concur with Adamt and I'm sure many others on the forum. Cy has been an invaluable source of information and help to many on this forum.

The posts on the forum have gotten a lot more respectful of late. Please help keep it that way. It's obvious you disagree with Cy and how others do things but please temper the British sarcasm (I'm Brit, so I can say that). If you post, please make them useful and build from others (even if it's another option of lesson learned)not attack the poster or the message.

Toke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never had any involvement with hot C4 beyond owning their equipment, but I concur with Adamt and I'm sure many others on the forum. Cy has been an invaluable source of information and help to many on this forum.

The posts on the forum have gotten a lot more respectful of late. Please help keep it that way. It's obvious you disagree with Cy and how others do things but please temper the British sarcasm (I'm Brit, so I can say that). If you post, please make them useful and build from others (even if it's another option of lesson learned)not attack the poster or the message.

Where was the sarcasm in that post? it was stating a total fact he was using a license he was not entitled to use as he was no longer in their employment?

Sarcasm seems okay for some though http://www.c4forums.com/topic/18083-myhome-site/#entry155496 you even condoned it by adding a like!

Please watch the drop as you step off your high horse – Scottish Sarcasm, as I’m a Scott

I think it comes down to this:  While we agree with your points in this thread, we all appreciate Cyknights help on these forums and are afraid that free help could be lost if he decides not to offer his time here.  He made a snarky comment that likely stems from past experiences on these threads from the DIY crowd.  This user ejn1 just appears to be a well informed consumer and advanced C4 user that doesn't need his hand held any longer and has been burnt by dealers that aren't interesting in anything but a LARGE new project.  Many of us have similar experiences.  

No comments from a few will make me stop offering advise when and where I can. Hasn't before - will not now.

Regard my second post in this thread as a snide comment or not - it's pure and simple reality.

'SWAT team descent' on customers is a horrible approach to business if you ask me - and I simply meant that there is no use in one risking one's dealership by overstepping the bounds of the agreement for someone asking for below list pricing - 'from time to time'. Now, re-reading the post, I see where this comes across more about money - 'twas not intended as such and for that my apologies.

I'll happily update/upgrade anyone's system and have no issue with anything ranging from a simple system update (you bet remotely - possibly indeed even free of charge! :P ) to 7 figure projects - customer IS king - but even a king is not above the 'law' (in this case - a written and signed agreement that any and every dealer has).

Now, re-reading the post, I see where this comes across more about money - 'twas not intended as such and for that my apologies.

Big of you and for once that is with no sarcastic undertone :) I'm not here to cause trouble quite the opposite & hopefully impart some knowledge and help along the way as well as gain some.  I may have over reacted a little to being lampooned on one my first posts for a long time and would prefer to get on with contributing than locking horns.

Im not using anything I shouldnt. Your assumption is dead wrong. The example I used was when a fellow co-worker sold something on Ebay that was purchased under the Control4 dealer accommodation and the device was traced to outside of the country. Control4 then contacted my co-workers boss, also known as me.

Be sure that when you cast stones you know what glass house your hitting.  

All,   I stated earlier, I had no knowledge that a dealer license is comprised if the dealer does not install the equipment.  If this was the case, i wouldn't have posted as this forum has a reputation for being extremely pro dealer based and im not looking to stir.   If I'm open, I don't know how this can possibly be the case as I'm sure dealers subcontract electrical work on occasion (to folks who are not party to a C4 dealer agreement) and I know many dealers sell equipment without installation as my local dealer did this quite openly.   My problem with that dealer was that he was generally incompetent on a security camera install and gouged me on pricing, didnt honor his warranty, so I left them.  

My swat team comment is conveniently taken out of context by Cy,  my point is that when a customer takes the time to proactively offer a fair price for something (and 10% off list is VERY fair), then we are not going to lecture them on tax code which is petty BS.  The fast assumption was this was one order but my post was seeking a purchase connection.   I have purchased thousands of $$ of C4 equipment for my own use so its a bad assumption thinking its one order.

Cy says its not about money but i have no doubt if I would have started my post with "I'm willing to pay 10% MORE than list price" and didn't mention tax, Cy would've rolled out the red carpet and showered me with roses in a PM.

ps if this was a pro consumer forum, you would've certainly heard some comments on "free trade" and allowing for fair competition in a market.   but I understand why Cy does not bring this point up.  Thanks 21st Century for showing excellent customer support!

But it is a free market where ctrl can choose to decide who to sell to / through and the rules they must abide by.

Just because I have something you want does not mean I have to sell it to you.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

When did I ever say someone had to sell something to me?   I made an offer and asked for interest in a PM...   It's basic free trade and supply demand, economics 101.    Plus I posted it on a C4 thread for buying and selling stuff, lol!!!!!  and much of this buying and selling is with dealers who are not installing the equipment.  

Cy says its not about money but i have no doubt if I would have started my post with "I'm willing to pay 10% MORE than list price" and didn't mention tax, Cy would've rolled out the red carpet and showered me with roses in a PM

You'd be dead wrong actually.

Plus I posted it on a C4 thread for buying and selling stuff, lol!!!!!

What people buy and sell 2nd hand is outside of the dealer agreement. Those dealers selling off current (as in current models) stock - well they do so at their own risk.

if this was a pro consumer forum, you would've certainly heard some comments on "free trade" and allowing for fair competition in a market

The discussion on the dealer model flares up many, many times on here - and all are free to have and make their opinion on it. That doesn't change the reality I pointed out.

I stated earlier, I had no knowledge that a dealer license is comprised if the dealer does not install the equipment.  If this was the case, i wouldn't have posted as this forum has a reputation for being extremely pro dealer based and im not looking to stir

Not so sure it's pro-dealer at all, but ok. And fair enough, you wouldn't know the dealer agreement, nor should you have to.

You'd be dead wrong actually.

What people buy and sell 2nd hand is outside of the dealer agreement. Those dealers selling off current (as in current models) stock - well they do so at their own risk.

The discussion on the dealer model flares up many, many times on here - and all are free to have and make their opinion on it. That doesn't change the reality I pointed out.

Not so sure it's pro-dealer at all, but ok. And fair enough, you wouldn't know the dealer agreement, nor should you have to.

Thanks Cy for your responses.    I'm not here to lecture on free market dealer agreements...  On the dealer rules, I'm still a little unclear on your point above as Ryan was not definitive in his response earlier (imo).   Are you saying that a dealer cannot sell a light switch to a customer, the customer install the light switch and that dealer (or another remote integrator) program the device into my system?   Your saying the above example would be a violation of the dealer agreement and they would be at risk of losing their license? I'm really struggling how this could be a clear violation in a dealer agreement so I would really like to clear this up so I don't ask for something wrongly.

Archived